Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
So I did the math awhile back.

Matthew's 12
Marner 8 to 9
Nylander 7 (cap saved 6.68)

Even at an 85mill cap we would be over by 6 or 7mill. That's with no Jake, no Kapenen and so on.

It's clear we need to let some guys walk or trade (goat, leivo, johnsson) there will be casualties of having elite players. But whom?

I think outside the obvious, then Kapenen and Dermott. Anyone is fair game

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
if the leafs trade Nylander for an RHD, I dont see why we wouldnt trade Zaitsev, someone will take him for picks which we can partially flip for a solid, cheaper top 4D

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So I did the math awhile back.

Matthew's 12
Marner 8 to 9
Nylander 7 (cap saved 6.68)

Even at an 85mill cap we would be over by 6 or 7mill. That's with no Jake, no Kapenen and so on.

It's clear we need to let some guys walk or trade (goat, leivo, johnsson) there will be casualties of having elite players. But whom?

I think outside the obvious, then Kapenen and Dermott. Anyone is fair game
Even at 85m we're 6 or 7 over? Can I see your full roster? Are you counting Horton?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Are you says that we'd be over a 85 million dollar cap by 7 million, thus putting us at 92 million, without gardiner signed? I call bs. Show your work and we can discuss it.

From what I've seen, the whole team fits, and one of Jake or marleau has to go.

Um not with nylander alone with him Matthew's at 12 marner at 8.5

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Moves won’t happen until Marner deal is signed. We aren’t in cap trouble until we are actually in cap trouble.

Reactions: kb

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Um not with nylander alone with him Matthew's at 12 marner at 8.5
Your numbers are off. Definitely.

Here's a very accurate outline, similar to the numbers you provided. It clearly works.
443af6bdcd02b243b43b9be83b37fd14.png

Before I continue, I have to give credit to @I am Canadian. This is all his work that I stole from another thread. Apologies in advance.

A couple of things.
1. If you want to keep Johansson, go head. The op originally traded him for Colin Miller, and Miller's cap hit could go to Johansson.
2. I am Canadian also used 83 million as a cap ceiling, whereas you @jrgtml67 used 85 million, giving us an additional 2 million dollar buffer in this scenario.
3. In this scenario, kapanen was signed to a bridge deal which I think is realistic as well.

There ya go...proof that it works. And theres examples like this floating all over cap friendly. I just really liked this one.

Can we see your sample of how you get to 92 million?

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
How you gonna start a thread like this and not show your work? With cap friendly it should be pretty easy to do...

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Connor Brown wont be a leaf. Gardiner will obviously walk. Johnsson will walk.

Thats why I've been advocating to trade Brown or Johnsson for a similar type of wing player with bit more term but cheap

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The big question mark is whether Marleau waves after July 1st and gets traded to a cap floor team since he only needs to be paid like $1 million in real dollars after his bonus kicks in. That would basically solve all our problems.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The big question mark is whether Marleau waves after July 1st and gets traded to a cap floor team since he only needs to be paid like $1 million in real dollars after his bonus kicks in. That would basically solve all our problems.

Yeah I dont suspect Marleau being a leaf next season.

Gardiner will have to walk, which is gonna suck but he's just too damn good to be trading away this season especially when we're thinking Stanley Cup.

We won't be able to afford Connor Brown either but I think he's a guy we should def try to trade and see if we can get something back for. (Nick Ritchie?)

Not sure on Kapanen and Johnsson. Def dont want Kapanen to go

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Marner isn't getting 8+.
Show me the last 4 RFA (key point here, RFA) wingers to get above 8.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Your numbers are off. Definitely.

Here's a very accurate outline, similar to the numbers you provided. It clearly works.
443af6bdcd02b243b43b9be83b37fd14.png

Before I continue, I have to give credit to @I am Canadian. This is all his work that I stole from another thread. Apologies in advance.

A couple of things.
1. If you want to keep Johansson, go head. The op originally traded him for Colin Miller, and Miller's cap hit could go to Johansson.
2. I am Canadian also used 83 million as a cap ceiling, whereas you @jrgtml67 used 85 million, giving us an additional 2 million dollar buffer in this scenario.
3. In this scenario, kapanen was signed to a bridge deal which I think is realistic as well.

There ya go...proof that it works. And theres examples like this floating all over cap friendly. I just really liked this one.

Can we see your sample of how you get to 92 million?

How'd we magically get Miller? 1st off and Kapenen will get more then 2.5. It wont work

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
How'd we magically get Miller? 1st off and Kapenen will get more then 2.5. It wont work

Was my post originally, i traded Johnsson plus whatever picks it was a random fantasy deal.

They could re-sign Hainsey and give a little extra to Kapanen on a bridge deal or trade Brown. That's nitpicking small points unless you think Kapanen is getting 5M +

Im curious too see your math, I think you forgot Horton doesnt count.

Reactions: my name is Bob

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Was my post originally, i traded Johnsson plus whatever picks it was a random fantasy deal.

They could re-sign Hainsey and give a little extra to Kapanen on a bridge deal or trade Brown. That's nitpicking small points unless you think Kapanen is getting 5M +

Im curious too see your math, I think you forgot Horton doesnt count.

Hainsey is done after this yr. Too slow. Kap will get 4 to 4.5. If my numbers are right with cap at 85 we are over but depends what we do with rfa and ufas

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Marner isn't getting 8+.
Show me the last 4 RFA (key point here, RFA) wingers to get above 8.

Uhhh I'll take 8 in a heart beat for Marner.

He could get that easily. I'm hoping he tries to go a little friendly at 8x7.75 but he likely gets 500k-750k more

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Uhhh I'll take 8 in a heart beat for Marner.

He could get that easily. I'm hoping he tries to go a little friendly at 8x7.75 but he likely gets 500k-750k more
That's great that you'll take it. However, you do not set the market.
Name the players please.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hainsey is done after this yr. Too slow. Kap will get 4 to 4.5. If my numbers are right with cap at 85 we are over but depends what we do with rfa and ufas

Where is your math? It seems wrong... post a link to your math, or post the actual math here. Otherwise, this should be closed.

Reactions: my name is Bob

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's great that you'll take it. However, you do not set the market.
Name the players please.

First if we’re talking cap hit we should talk % so we can properly adjust for cap inflation. So that’s a bit less than 8% of the cap for an RFA.

Second I guess we’ll want to take into consideration number of RFA years being bought and number of UFA years when showing comparable.

Third I think the assumption the poster is making is that Marner will continue at the well over PPG pace he’s been on for something like the last 70-90 games of his career, for the remainder of this season.

Do those seem like acceptable parameters to you for finding comparables at this point?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
First if we’re talking cap hit we should talk % so we can properly adjust for cap inflation. So that’s a bit less than 8% of the cap for an RFA.

Second I guess we’ll want to take into consideration number of RFA years being bought and number of UFA years when showing comparable.

Third I think the assumption the poster is making is that Marner will continue at the well over PPG pace he’s been on for something like the last 70-90 games of his career, for the remainder of this season.

Do those seem like acceptable parameters to you for finding comparables at this point?
Sure, name them.

Let's also put a timeframe of 4 years on it since the cap/salaries have dramatically increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad