Speculation: Making cap for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Looking more and more that a bridge deal for Nylander could be best for Toronto's cap situation.

Sign Nylander for 3 years at like 4.5-5 million then resign him after Patty, Hainsey etc are off the books.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I do not get what all the hate is on Zaitsev. I have seen him play solid hockey for the first quarter of the season. The team as a whole has played very good hockey. And I am surprised defensively how the team has played. Shots are down, more blocked shots, and better exits. If Zaitsev continues to play as he is, the contract he signed is a bargain. The only upgrade we should be looking for on D is replacing Hainsey long term. Zaitsev is a perfect 2nd/3rd pairing D man.
What I dont understand is people saying they want to trade Zaitsev and sign a cheaper top 4 D.... which top 4D are making under 4.5 million a year and are signed for more than a year? Obviously excluding ELC players.

If Z stays at a solid #4D he is being paid fairly and will be very underpaid on the backend of that contract.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Looking more and more that a bridge deal for Nylander could be best for Toronto's cap situation.

Sign Nylander for 3 years at like 4.5-5 million then resign him after Patty, Hainsey etc are off the books.
I can't see him taking a bridge like that for a few reasons.
1. A lockout is possibly coming where he wont get paid.
2. If (if) you are holding firm at a 7.5-8 million, you're not dropping to 4.5 with Marner set to get paid.
3. If you don't progress, you've lost millions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Zaitsev can't be moved, unless we have adequate replacements, which at the moment, we don't.

The team could just trade a couple picks for a #4 guy. I don’t think he’d be terribly difficult to replace in a pinch, even if the Leafs did have to overpay slightl in terms of futures

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What I dont understand is people saying they want to trade Zaitsev and sign a cheaper top 4 D.... which top 4D are making under 4.5 million a year and are signed for more than a year? Obviously excluding ELC players.

If Z stays at a solid #4D he is being paid fairly and will be very underpaid on the backend of that contract.

It’s still fairly debatable I’d one can call him a “solid #4” though imo

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Even at an 85mill cap we would be over by 6 or 7mill. That's with no Jake, no Kapenen and so on.

I would like to see your math because I don't come anywhere near $91-92 million, and that's with Gardiner and Kapanen on reasonable contracts. Are you assuming Hainsey comes back? Not dropping Horton to LTIR? Including bonus overages that we most likely won't have next season (space to absorb them this season)?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I can't see him taking a bridge like that for a few reasons.
1. A lockout is possibly coming where he wont get paid.
2. If (if) you are holding firm at a 7.5-8 million, you're not dropping to 4.5 with Marner set to get paid.
3. If you don't progress, you've lost millions.
Fair enough to your first point, however he also risks sitting the year and not making anything.

I mean it is a bridge and the 8 million he was evidently asking was for long term. Depending on his play in the next 3 years, a bridge would allow him to get paid more than Marner while both of them signing long term likely ends in Nylander being paid less for a long time.

As to your 3rd point, Toronto doesnt have to trade Nylander for peanuts. If a young top pairing defender is offered, trade him but until then we need to try to sign this guy and he will sit until one of those 2 things happen.

The only option that makes sense anymore could be a bridge. Your first point could be a major obstacle though

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It’s still fairly debatable I’d one can call him a “solid #4” though imo
Agreed but he faces extremely tough usage and QoC for a number 4 and doesnt get destroyed. I have been a long time advocate for Zaitsev to learn another pass when in his zone other than blindly wringing it around the boards but he clearly is being asked to play a role he isnt suited for, I.e. a defensive defender.

Could even tell that from the interview he gave about Gardiner recently, trying to be super simplistic so Gardiner can do his thing.

I think Zaitsev would play a lot better with a different partner and we need to see Dermott with Zaistsev at some point I figure.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why would Marleau waive his NMC to be traded to a crap team? Just to "be a good guy and help the 'ol Leafs"? LOL.
The only way I can see us getting out of the third year is if Marleau had always planned for two more years, and the third year was an agreement between him and Leafs management so that he could get more money on a manageable cap hit for the team. And the only way to really make it happen that way is if Marleau will be sent to the Island.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Fair enough to your first point, however he also risks sitting the year and not making anything.

I mean it is a bridge and the 8 million he was evidently asking was for long term. Depending on his play in the next 3 years, a bridge would allow him to get paid more than Marner while both of them signing long term likely ends in Nylander being paid less for a long time.

As to your 3rd point, Toronto doesnt have to trade Nylander for peanuts. If a young top pairing defender is offered, trade him but until then we need to try to sign this guy and he will sit until one of those 2 things happen.

The only option that makes sense anymore could be a bridge. Your first point could be a major obstacle though

One possible solution is to front load the contract payable almost in full on July 1st.
A 2 year bridge would probably be the better scenario for Nylander.
The remainder of this year and next.
It avoids the lockout and Marleau is off the cap in 2 years.
Now the question with the bridge (and what could hold it up) is the final year.
That will be the qualifying year. So if Nylander is willing to accept the bridge but wants 7 of it in year 2 and Dubas says no, we are back in the same position.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
One possible solution is to front load the contract payable almost in full on July 1st.
A 2 year bridge would probably be the better scenario for Nylander.
The remainder of this year and next.
It avoids the lockout and Marleau is off the cap in 2 years.
Now the question with the bridge (and what could hold it up) is the final year.
That will be the qualifying year. So if Nylander is willing to accept the bridge but wants 7 of it in year 2 and Dubas says no, we are back in the same position.
Ya maybe a 2 year bridge would work too.

In two years I would be willing to give Nylander over 7 as with cap inflation that would probably be market value on a long term deal.

Say we sign him to a 7.15 x 7 year deal in 2 year after he insisted on 7 million in his final year, that would be amazing

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I do not get what all the hate is on Zaitsev. I have seen him play solid hockey for the first quarter of the season. The team as a whole has played very good hockey. And I am surprised defensively how the team has played. Shots are down, more blocked shots, and better exits. If Zaitsev continues to play as he is, the contract he signed is a bargain. The only upgrade we should be looking for on D is replacing Hainsey long term. Zaitsev is a perfect 2nd/3rd pairing D man.

Ideally you don't pay your tweener 2nd pair guy 4.5million that's the issue.

It will become less of an issue down the road as inflation won't make it matter as much

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
So I did the math awhile back.

Matthew's 12
Marner 8 to 9
Nylander 7 (cap saved 6.68)

Even at an 85mill cap we would be over by 6 or 7mill. That's with no Jake, no Kapenen and so on.

It's clear we need to let some guys walk or trade (goat, leivo, johnsson) there will be casualties of having elite players. But whom?

I think outside the obvious, then Kapenen and Dermott. Anyone is fair game

Using the proposed salaries:
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 6.26.30 PM.png

No issue here. I also used an 84.5M cap. Traded Brown for TVR.

Why is this thread still open?

Reactions: my name is Bob

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Because you're making an assumption on a trade(s) which are made up. I used 85mill with current roster only and letting Jake walk

You said "no Jake, Kapanen and so on"

So I did the math awhile back.

It's clear we need to let some guys walk or trade (goat, leivo, johnsson) there will be casualties of having elite players. But whom?

I made one trade where I sent out 2.1M and brought in 2.3M. With an 85M cap and without the trade I proposed, and with Sparks at 900k over Nilsson the leafs would have 3.3M in cap space.
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 6.43.55 PM.png

Reactions: my name is Bob

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Because you're making an assumption on a trade(s) which are made up. I used 85mill with current roster only and letting Jake walk
Show us. The numbers. You can't.

This whole thread is on a fabrication that some guy made up in his head. Like what's your point here? We don't have to move anyone.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Post your numbers I'm tired of you repeating that. Unless you have Kapanen making 10 million a season then what you are saying makes 0 sense.

You aren't smarter than everyone, post your numbers. We don't have to take what you say as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad