Speculation: Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

• Total voters

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You dont want your captain to be involved in all sorts of brawls but you want BT to be involved in those

So yeah Chabot

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd rather give it to Pageau next year....if he's still around.

Let the kids be kids. No pressure for a few more seasons and the turnover is complete.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The longer this thread goes on the more confident I am that Chabot would definitely be the best choice moving forward.

I am also not against Pageau getting it if he is extended.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Let the veterans take the slings and arrows for this season.
I can see the logic in this approach.

I really don’t care if it is this year or next, but Chabot deserves the C.

Our best player and someone the refs will respect.

Reactions: Viletho

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can see the logic in this approach.

I really don’t care if it is this year or next, but Chabot deserves the C.

Our best player and someone the refs will respect.

Personally, it's too early for me to say.

I'd like a larger sample size for the young guys before deciding.

However, I've always held that the Captain should be able to win the game and I'm not sure Pageau fits that description.

I'd rather wait until one of the young guys separates himself.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Same similar choice as Gretzky and Messier, both of them would have been a great choice. My pick is Chabot

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
They wont give him the captaincy based off what happened with karlsson. Got it too early as nobody deserved it infront of him like phillips etc but he became bigger than the team and Eugene didnt like that. There is no need for a captain right now or they will give it to Boroweicki which will be embarrassing. They need a stop gap captain until Brady T is ready to take it IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Personally, it's too early for me to say.

I'd like a larger sample size for the young guys before deciding.

However, I've always held that the Captain should be able to win the game and I'm not sure Pageau fits that description.

I'd rather wait until one of the young guys separates himself.

Bob Gainey seemed like a pretty good captain. Serge Savard as well.

Reactions: Back in Black

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They were also both in the HHoF.

I don’t see that in Pageau’s future.
The teams they play(ed) on are vastly different as well. Relatively relative. ..I like Pageau. He brings it every game. Elevates in the playoffs. Not an offensive star but a quality player. I don't see the need to rush to name Chabot or Tkachuk the captain. They can get A's and graduate to that role in time.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The teams they play(ed) on are vastly different as well. Relatively relative. ..I like Pageau. He brings it every game. Elevates in the playoffs. Not an offensive star but a quality player. I don't see the need to rush to name Chabot or Tkachuk the captain. They can get A's and graduate to that role in time.

I agree with that but I’m willing to wait as opposed to having an interim Captain.

We may want to trade Pageau and trading a sitting Captain is a bit funny.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I'm all for Chabot with the C.

I would go with the young player next year with As then name a captain.

We might change our mind if we draft 1st overall this year.

Like some said, I want Tkachuk to keep the edge he plays with. Maybe being the captain would change that a bit

Also, i don't think that because he would be the captain that suddenly, all player start to play with more edge, hit everything, battle like mad man in scrum, etc.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I do not believe that the captaincy is "given" but rather "earned". You do not earn the 'C' because you are the highest paid player on the team, you do not earn the 'C' because you are the most skilled player on the team, you do not earn the 'C' because you are the highest drafted player on the team, you do not earn the 'C' because you have "truculence", you do not earn the 'C' because there are no better choices.....

You earn the 'C' when game after game and season after season, you are a player that has exemplified the following qualities: Never take a shift off, when the team is sluggish you go out there and make a hit or play that wakes them up, you block a shot when nobody else will, you score a goal when it seemed a goal could not be scored, you are just as noticeable with any player(s) on your line, the coach wishes he can have you on the ice all the time.

There is no rush to anoint a captain, especially with such a young team. Yashin was handed the captaincy....Alfredsson earned the captaincy.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I like Chabot as much as the next guy, but I don't want another nice guy as the face of this team nor the captain, it hasn't worked in the past & it won't work now. I want a guy like Tkachuk who is an SOB to play against, well spoken, who stands up for his teammates & is a star in the making. I want teams to fear playing Ottawa because of him making their lives miserable & I would like to see the rest of the team follow his lead. We've had a country club atmosphere in the past & I would like to see that change to more of a blue collar heavy team so I won't check off either box in this one sided poll.

I'd rather Chabot because Tkachuk will likely take a ton of penalties for agitating or fighting or whatnot, and then he's not on the ice, where hockey is played.
Chabot will play a silky-smooth game and rarely be penalized, that's the perfect guy to be your captain.
Not going to address the country club stuff since we're not in the room. This feeling has emanated from management in the past. I found Murray to be too player-friendly, and I like that Dorion keeps an emotional distance from his creew, who are assets, let's not forget.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Too early... An "A" is fine but there is a good chance this team's next captain is our 2020 1OA ... No point giving it to Chabot (or anybody) and taking it away in 2-3 years.

If things progress well I would consider letters on Brady and Chabot starting in 2020. The team will have decided what to do with Pager and even someone like Z could pace hold for a couple of years.

As a side note - I don't believe Byfield is either a captain or assistant with Sudbury. Kid was 16 a month ago.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Too early... An "A" is fine but there is a good chance this team's next captain is our 2020 1OA ... No point giving it to Chabot (or anybody) and taking it away in 2-3 years.

If things progress well I would consider letters on Brady and Chabot starting in 2020. The team will have decided what to do with Pager and even someone like Z could pace hold for a couple of years.

As a side note - I don't believe Byfield is either a captain or assistant with Sudbury. Kid was 16 a month ago.

This just doesn't make sense to me. If they give it to Chabot (or Tkachuk or whatever) then they would not take it away and give it to somebody else. Doesn't matter who they get in 2020.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Brady may end up being too much of an emotional player with the C. I really like Chabot with the C as a lead by example, even keel kind of guy, where as Brady is more of a wear his emotions on his sleeve pest type player. His style of play can still be part of the identity of the team, but Chabot really gives off the quiet assassin vibe, sort of like a Nik Lidstrom, and I love that quality in a leader.

Definitely subject to change depending on what happens this season, but right now if I had a gun to my head I'd give Chabot the C and Brady an A.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
He already is captain...

ZxoqvoK.jpg
I would legit pay to see this movie lol.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This just doesn't make sense to me. If they give it to Chabot (or Tkachuk or whatever) then they would not take it away and give it to somebody else. Doesn't matter who they get in 2020.

Sure. So they would have to be very sure that Chabot is the guy. I don't think Brady is an option at least until he is off his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad