Speculation: Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

• Total voters

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
I'd give it to Chabot for sure... I love Brady but I think our teams on ice leader will be Chabot for the next 9 seasons... Brady is a close 2nd however

Reactions: Back in Black

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Neither.
It goes to Brady

I dont think thats the best approach for a few reasons I listed in another thread so i doubt people will want to hear me repeat my self. I believe Chabot will get it next year and that will be the right time as this year is going to be very tough, better to have the veterans take the heat this year, the team should be alot better next season.

Give him an A ,but let him grow a little more first

Agreed, I think its guaranteed he gets once once one of the current A's are traded this season which is inevitable.

Reactions: Back in Black

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'm fine with keeping status quo this year. Team is going to be awful, Chabot just got the added pressure of a huge contract, no need to add even more pressure with a letter at this point. That seems to be the plan of DJ and Dorion. Let's get through this probable trainwreck of a year and see where we stand with Chabot and Brady next year.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
I like how Toronto did it

No captain till we are a good team

You don’t want him to take the hits while the team is tanking

Couldn't agree more unless there is something in the dressing room that we just don't see. Be patient when giving out the C. We have many years for these young players to grow.

It's pretty obvious that it is either going to go to Brady or Chabot. I personally think Brady should get it. Chabot will definitely be the better player, although Brady in my opinion will be the better leader. Who knows though, this is just my thought.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Couldn't agree more unless there is something in the dressing room that we just don't see. Be patient when giving out the C. We have many years for these young players to grow.

It's pretty obvious that it is either going to go to Brady or Chabot. I personally think Brady should get it. Chabot will definitely be the better player, although Brady in my opinion will be the better leader. Who knows though, this is just my thought.

I think Chabot's bilingualism is good for the city, he will also log the most ice time and is the best player on the team. Also Tkachuk is at his best when he is playing a reckless game bordering on physical and dirty. I want him to be able to play with an edge which could lead to the odd undisciplined play which I dont think you want from your captain. Giving him an 'A' and having Chabot wear the 'C' would be a great core leadership group when they are ready in my opinion.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think Chabot's bilingualism is good for the city, he will also log the most ice time and is the best player on the team. Also Tkachuk is at his best when he is playing a reckless game bordering on physical and dirty. I want him to be able to play with an edge which could lead to the odd undisciplined play which I dont think you want from your captain. Giving him an 'A' and having Chabot wear the 'C' would be a great core leadership group when they are ready in my opinion.

This. I'm all for Chabot. He's level-headed, doesn't seem to get too high or low, and will be the most important player on the team over the next 8 seasons. The francophone angle is also big for this market. Having a captain who can communicate in both languages would be great.

I love Tkachuk, but I want him to maintain that edge. If he turns out to be a stronger, bigger Brad Marchand (without the licking), that'd be amazing. I want him to play balls to the wall and take risks, which isn't always "becoming" of a captain.

Reactions: Viletho

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Chabot as much as the next guy, but I don't want another nice guy as the face of this team nor the captain, it hasn't worked in the past & it won't work now. I want a guy like Tkachuk who is an SOB to play against, well spoken, who stands up for his teammates & is a star in the making. I want teams to fear playing Ottawa because of him making their lives miserable & I would like to see the rest of the team follow his lead. We've had a country club atmosphere in the past & I would like to see that change to more of a blue collar heavy team so I won't check off either box in this one sided poll.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I like Chabot as much as the next guy, but I don't want another nice guy as the face of this team nor the captain, it hasn't worked in the past & it won't work now. I want a guy like Tkachuk who is an SOB to play against, well spoken, who stands up for his teammates & is a star in the making. I want teams to fear playing Ottawa because of him making their lives miserable & I would like to see the rest of the team follow his lead. We've had a country club atmosphere in the past & I would like to see that change to more of a blue collar heavy team so I won't check off either box in this one sided poll.

I just dont understand this logic. First of all lots of teams win cups with captains that have Chabots demeanor. It just happened last year with Pietrangelo and St Louis played as hard and as physical as any team in the NHL.

If Tkachuk is the captain or assistant he will still be on the team and can play the same way and can still be a leader on and off the ice. However if he is captain he wont be able to play as reckless and physical as he would be as an assistant due to his lead by example role as captain. I absolutely loved when he gave a shot to Huberdeau when he scored the empty netter last year. You cant have your captain doing things like that.

Not to mention Chabot has commited for 9 years here I like the idea of that consistency.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I wonder if putting the C on Brady would have any effect on him playing on the edge given the expectations that come with being a captain.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Next year is probably the year for Chabot.

He will be starting his new contract and will have firmly established that he is a top NHL defender all the while being the steady influence that teams can look to in good or bad times. That said, we have seen Chabot show his emotion so it's not like we will have a robot in the position.

I love the idea of Brady as the C too but when I take the time to really evaluate it then I think the right move is for Chabot to be the C and to let Brady be his wrecking ball self and lead by his example - he will clearly have an A.

Will be interesting to see how the team evaluates the situation over the next 12 months.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I just dont understand this logic. First of all lots of teams win cups with captains that have Chabots demeanor. It just happened last year with Pietrangelo and St Louis played as hard and as physical as any team in the NHL.

If Tkachuk is the captain or assistant he will still be on the team and can play the same way and can still be a leader on and off the ice. However if he is captain he wont be able to play as reckless and physical as he would be as an assistant due to his lead by example role as captain. I absolutely loved when he gave a shot to Huberdeau when he scored the empty netter last year. You cant have your captain doing things like that.

Not to mention Chabot has commited for 9 years here I like the idea of that consistency.
Lots of captains in the past have gotten into fights & did things that were unsportsmanlike, it means nothing, Crosby & Toews have both done unsportsmanlike things. Chabot is signed for 9 yrs, but this is sports & he could be traded at any time, that also means nothing today, whoever thought EK or Stone would get traded, in this market with this owner anything is possible.

I'm not here to put down Chabot, I think he is a super player, I just don't want him as my captain, just like I didn't want Spezza or EK. I want a rugged player that personifies the kind of team I want & at the moment that's BT. You have a different opinion & that's fine, I expect a lot of people do.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I say let all those wearing an 'A' this year each organize a team party and the one who holds the best party gets to be captain. Cause really, that's a captains main job isnt it?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Make Boro captain, trade him in the summer ,and then make Chabot captain next year.

He already is captain...

ZxoqvoK.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad