Speculation: Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

Make Chabot Captain now, or next year?

• Total voters

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Next year please. Let him mature. He's still a kid. As much as I like him as a player, 22 years old is still a bit young to be the team leader. By next year, once his new contract kicks in, he will either be the obvious choice or just keep 3 As again until there is an obvious choice.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not a believer in the best player being the captain & never have been. I think the best leader & the guy other players listen to should be the captain. The guy that helps the new guys, the guy that brings the team together & the guy who sticks up for teammates on the ice. If that is the best player than fine, but it should be the player that other players look up to for leadership & IMO that's usually an older player. Or a guy who just has that thing that others gravitate to who says the right thing at the right time & has the ability to lead people. Those guys are usually easy to spot on most teams.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm not a believer in the best player being the captain & never have been. I think the best leader & the guy other players listen to should be the captain. The guy that helps the new guys, the guy that brings the team together & the guy who sticks up for teammates on the ice. If that is the best player than fine, but it should be the player that other players look up to for leadership & IMO that's usually an older player. Or a guy who just has that thing that others gravitate to who says the right thing at the right time & has the ability to lead people. Those guys are usually easy to spot on most teams.

This is all fine, but it also needs to be a player who's capable of being on the ice in the most important moments of the game. If you wouldn't want a player on the ice in the final minute of the SCF, they should not be considered to be a captain.

There's off-ice leadership, and then there's on-ice leadership.

Mark Borowiecki and Ron Hainsey, for example, might be great guys off the ice, but believe me, if they're not pulling their weight in important games, other guys will tune them out real quick.

A leader doesn't need to be the loudest voice or biggest personality in the room. Look at what Kawhi did last season with the Raptors. He probably said two sentences in 8 weeks, but that entire team changed because of the example he set on the floor.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
This is all fine, but it also needs to be a player who's capable of being on the ice in the most important moments of the game. If you wouldn't want a player on the ice in the final minute of the SCF, they should not be considered to be a captain.

There's off-ice leadership, and then there's on-ice leadership.

Mark Borowiecki and Ron Hainsey, for example, might be great guys off the ice, but believe me, if they're not pulling their weight in important games, other guys will tune them out real quick.

A leader doesn't need to be the loudest voice or biggest personality in the room. Look at what Kawhi did last season with the Raptors. He probably said two sentences in 8 weeks, but that entire team changed because of the example he set on the floor.

I mostly agree. I don't think a captain needs to be a superstar (though it's preferable), but they need to be better than a seventh defenceman. A hard-working, effective, well-respected second liner can make for a successful captain.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
To me it’s one of Tkachuk or Pageau (if he is here starting next year). Chabot is third on this list and really there is no one else.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If we are not in the room we have no idea who should be captain, the guy has to respect his coach and the system, he has to deal with all staff and other players with pure class, he has to make people feel the need to work harder, not try and force them to work harder.
It’s far from just getting”points”
With no idea how these people interact with each other in private whoever they pick should not be the fans choice.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we are not in the room we have no idea who should be captain, the guy has to respect his coach and the system, he has to deal with all staff and other players with pure class, he has to make people feel the need to work harder, not try and force them to work harder.
With no idea how these people interact with each other in private whoever they pick should not be the fans choice.
Very well said, bravo. :clap:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

What's the fun in that?

I NEED outrage! I NEED IT BAD!

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

We see the on-ice product, and hear stuff in the media. It's good enough for me to speculate.

Last edited:

kife

Dec 18, 2011
I would go with Tkachuk too. I don't think Chabot has the right personality to be captain, especially at this point in his life. Tkachuk exudes leadership potential and characteristics...

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I would make my decision if it's going to be Chabot or Tkachuk / someone else after this season. See how they react to the grind this season will be.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
No. No to Chabot being captain.

Brady all the way.

In five years we’re going to be talking about Brady the way we talked about Toews in his prime.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
No. No to Chabot being captain.

Brady all the way.

In five years we’re going to be talking about Brady the way we talked about Toews in his prime.
Brady will spend too much time in the penalty box due to the way he plays the game.

I think someone like White would make a better captain. Great 2-way player, never gives up on a play, relentless on the ice, plays the "right" way, can score points, is a center, will play in almost every important situation whether defending a lead or trying to tie a game. And, most importantly, is disciplined. You want guys who are disciplined to be the captain because you need them to set that example and to hold other guys accountable for crossing the line.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Brady will spend too much time in the penalty box due to the way he plays the game.

I think someone like White would make a better captain. Great 2-way player, never gives up on a play, relentless on the ice, plays the "right" way, can score points, is a center, will play in almost every important situation whether defending a lead or trying to tie a game. And, most importantly, is disciplined. You want guys who are disciplined to be the captain because you need them to set that example and to hold other guys accountable for crossing the line.

I think this as well, but ultimately think Chabot will be the way the team goes.

Through 20 seasons (if my math is right) we have had a Canadian Captain for 75 games.

The fact that Chabot will be our best player moving forward, he is Canadian and speaks French I think will favour him when the decision is made.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Our next captain needs to have a contract. With such a young team we need someone to model behavior and training for all the young players that are coming through. Brady is loud, charismatic, and fun but Chabot may be better model.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
He wouldn't be my pick for captain to begin with. Deserving of an "A" though. Depending on how much time Brady spends in the penalty box, he could be captain material too. White seems like a safe bet.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think this as well, but ultimately think Chabot will be the way the team goes.

Through 20 seasons (if my math is right) we have had a Canadian Captain for 75 games.

The fact that Chabot will be our best player moving forward, he is Canadian and speaks French I think will favour him when the decision is made.
Oh I totally agree. My response was specifically a breakdown of Colin vs. Brady for the captaincy. Chabot is clearly the superior choice for many, many reasons not least of which him being francophone, a star defenseman playing 25+ mins/night, the highest paid player in team history and the team's likely top scorer.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Our greatest ever captain spoke zero French. Let’s not make ourselves the Habs here. Pick the best fit regardless of language or nationality (provided their EN is passable so they can communicate).

Reactions: stempniaksen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see the rush, but if I had to choose now, I would definitely go with Chabot. I prefer the quiet confidence over the loud mouth ra ra.

Let's just hope whoever gets it carries it at least close to as well as Karl and Alfie did.

Big no to Pager imo as he's trade bait anyways and will not be happy if they re-sign him to any kind of term.

The french speaking thing is stupid imo as well. Who cares?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not so sure this thread is going as the creator intended. The only thing I would say about a captain speaking French is that the GM is french, he considers Chabot to be the best player & I assume he is still trying to bring in fans from Gatineau. Maybe not enough substance for a captain but hey these guys running this team make all kinds of shall we say suspicious or bizarre decisions.

I think one of the three candidates would be fine, but I would also not mind them waiting another yr to pick a captain. Let's see how these guys perform this yr & who the best leader is that emerges among them.

Reactions: Back in Black

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Does any truly care if we have a captain for the next 2-3 seasons? Let the kids earn it, imo.

2019-20: Three A's (Pageau, Hainsey, Boro)
2020-21: Three A's (Chabot, Tkachuk, Pageau/White)
2021-22: Pick a captain from the young core

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->