Value of: Make a Trade with Toronto

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Marleau + 3rd to Ottawa for Condon (50% retained) after 1 July.

Ottawa then retains 50% on Marleau and trades him to a Western conference team.m for another 3rd round pick. Marleau @ $3.1m is decent.

Condon’s cap hit for Toronto is ~$200k after being buried.

Ottawa saves ~$900k real dollars and gets 2 x 3rd round picks for carrying an extra $3m cap hit.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Jets fan the only pieces from the Leafs that I would have any interest in is:

Marner - Won’t happen for multi issues, lack of availability and cap. Even if a trade could be worked out, it would require at least one more major trade by the Jets to create room. All not impossible but highly unlikely.

Nylander- Only If our scouts were completely sold on him being a two way 2C at the NHL level. No interest in him as a winger.

Sandin - Nice D prospect

Liljegren- D prospect

Nothing else on the team I would be interested in kicking the tires on (AM & JT & Rielly not available) bc they don’t fill any needs.

Reactions: Ciao

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Jets fan the only pieces from the Leafs that I would have any interest in is:

Marner - Won’t happen for multi issues, lack of availability and cap. Even if a trade could be worked out, it would require at least one more major trade by the Jets to create room. All not impossible but highly unlikely.

Nylander- Only If our scouts were completely sold on him being a two way 2C at the NHL level. No interest in him as a winger.

Sandin - Nice D prospect

Liljegren- D prospect

Nothing else on the team I would be interested in kicking the tires on (AM & JT & Rielly not available) bc they don’t fill any needs.
The only deal that would work would be with Trouba. Obviously it depends on where Trouba wants to play. A deal around Nylander (if the Jets like him) makes some sense. I don't see the Leafs moving our best D prospects though.

Reactions: Ciao

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The only deal that would work would be with Trouba. Obviously it depends on where Trouba wants to play. A deal around Nylander (if the Jets like him) makes some sense. I don't see the Leafs moving our best D prospects though.

Fair statement

Reactions: Liferleafer

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I will take it a step further...if we knew Trouba would sign long term here, i would add Liljegren into a deal for him (which i wouldn't like to do) as Trouba would be a perfect fit.

Trouba is the perfect, for Nylander & Liljegren I would do the trade assuming the scouts were comfortable with Nylander at centre.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Of course it is, but Pittsburgh is giving up the better player. Kessel > Kapanen, Pittsburgh is going to want the better pick and not some measly 2nd attached to Kapanen. You are guaranteed a better crack at a better prospect at 14 than 21.

Cut out PIT as the middle man

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vancouver
Tanev (50% retained) + Schaller + Goldobin

Toronto
Zaitsev + Kapanen + Conditional 2020 2nd (becomes 2020 1st if either Tanev resigns or Leafs win the cup)

Toronto gets a top 4 defenceman at a very reasonable cap hit allowing them to potentially resign Hainsey on a cheap 1-year contract to fill out their top 4. Additionally, they receive Goldobin who I believe could perform better with a change of scenery and the potential opportunities in Toronto. Vancouver downgrades their RD with Zaitsev but gains a top 6 winger that can play with Horvat on the 2nd line and a higher pick in next year's draft (chose to have it be 2020 pick as I don't see Toronto trading their 2nd this year as they don't own their 1st).

No Tanev misses WAY to much time

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Vancouver
Tanev (50% retained) + Schaller + Goldobin

Toronto
Zaitsev + Kapanen + Conditional 2020 2nd (becomes 2020 1st if either Tanev resigns or Leafs win the cup)

Toronto gets a top 4 defenceman at a very reasonable cap hit allowing them to potentially resign Hainsey on a cheap 1-year contract to fill out their top 4. Additionally, they receive Goldobin who I believe could perform better with a change of scenery and the potential opportunities in Toronto. Vancouver downgrades their RD with Zaitsev but gains a top 6 winger that can play with Horvat on the 2nd line and a higher pick in next year's draft (chose to have it be 2020 pick as I don't see Toronto trading their 2nd this year as they don't own their 1st).

I'd rather the condition is around games played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad