Value of: Make a Trade with Toronto

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kapanen + 2020 1st for Spurgeon

More value than what the Leafs gave for 1.5 years of Muzzin, and only get 1 year of Spurgeon (though you definitely try to re-sign him)
If Minnesota trades a defenseman it needs to be for a center. Kapanen at RW would be nice but that's a hole we'll probably try to fill by trading Zucker. It's not a good fit.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
If Minnesota trades a defenseman it needs to be for a center. Kapanen at RW would be nice but that's a hole we'll probably try to fill by trading Zucker. It's not a good fit.

I'm just spitballing for sake of conversation, but why can't Zucker be the asset used to fetch a center? Or why can't Minny dip into the FA pool to find one?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Kapanen's RFA rights for McGinn's RFA rights+37OA

Carolina uses its futures depth to take a chance on Kapanen's potential.

Toronto gets what should be a cheaper Top 9 LW/RW that brings a LHS and adds some additional jam to lineup. The high 2nd helps to backfill for what was lost in the Muzzin trade and what might be lost in a Marleau and/or Zaitsev trade.
I wouldn't mind this trade. it's close

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm just spitballing for sake of conversation, but why can't Zucker be the asset used to fetch a center? Or why can't Minny dip into the FA pool to find one?
I think if they can flip Zucker for a center they will, but trading him for the sort of center we need will be difficult. I'm sure that's why they were after Dvorak and that's been a no-go.

Signing Duchene would be great, but about a third of the league will probably be after him so that's a tough one to bet on. Beyond him you have guys like Hayes, who don't really fit what we need.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
giphy.gif

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
WOW, that’s bad
I mean RyJo went straight up for Jones, Trouba isn’t Jones but not far off. Scheif aint the difference!
Lol, Matthews isn’t going anywhere, that’s the type of deal that would get the leafs talking

Jones >> Trouba
Matthews >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RyJo

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I agree in terms of Kapanen, being a decent asset.
Not a top 15 OA asset in the draft.
With a 14th overall pick you're hoping at 22 you have something like Kapanen. The Leafs are competing, in what world does it make sense to turn back the clock and start again. It makes no sense at all.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
WOW, that’s bad
I mean RyJo went straight up for Jones, Trouba isn’t Jones but not far off. Scheif aint the difference!
that's revisionist history - Johansen was still thought to have upside from a 70pt peak, Jones had not turned into a top pairing defenseman at that point. Matthews' single season high water mark is already above Johansen's and he missed 14 games that season

Matthews is the keystone of the franchise, if he gets removed it's time to rebuild, so there won't be a trade price for him that "makes sense", it'll be absurd or he won't get traded

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
that's revisionist history - Johansen was still thought to have upside from a 70pt peak, Jones had not turned into a top pairing defenseman at that point. Matthews' single season high water mark is already above Johansen's and he missed 14 games that season

Matthews is the keystone of the franchise, if he gets removed it's time to rebuild, so there won't be a trade price for him that "makes sense", it'll be absurd or he won't get traded

I know, just wishful thinking

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad