Value of: Make a Trade with the Rangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The issue with what you say when you talk up Nieves is that he doesn't necessarily do any of these things better than anyone else who currently plays C on the NYR. Pointing out that he can't assert that control is a testament to him not being THAT good or skilled.

I think your insistence that he is a fast skater and now a silky smooth passer, as reasons there would be some type of magic between he and Kreider is a complete load of horse dung. He may be a quick skater or even a decent passer but it is not like he is burning rings around anyone else Kreider plays with, nor is he out there being creative.

The Rangers have not played much of a speed game since Grabner left....even then Grabs didn't play with Kreider either. Nieves has established himself as a defensive oriented player, he can be a capable 4C who scores a few goals a season but his skill level is that of a marginal 4C. He really is not that skilled. You are not getting much else out of him because he isn't capable of any real consistent offensive output at the NHL level. The reason for that is that he does not have the tools to be an offensive force.

Zib is a pretty fast skater too and certainly a much better offensive player than Nieves and more creative. The combination of Zib and Kreider produced about 52 pts last season for Krider.......Nieves wouldn't improve upon that. Expecting so is simply silly.

we disagree and let's not beat a dead horse repeatedly.
I don't doubt if given actual legit opportunity my experiment will prove correct.

You grossly undervalue Nieves and the fact that Zib is a way better player overall does not change the fact that since Zib is righty shot, to max overall results, he should play 1RW if not traded, let Nieves be def responsible playmaker, very complementary there.

Grabner + Kreider together was speed, but 2 dif types of LW, not complementary. Thus not a true comparable to my pt.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
we disagree and let's not beat a dead horse repeatedly.
I don't doubt if given actual legit opportunity my experiment will prove correct.

You grossly undervalue Nieves and the fact that Zib is a way better player overall does not change the fact that since Zib is righty shot, to max overall results, he should play 1RW if not traded, let Nieves be def responsible playmaker, very complementary there.

Grabner + Kreider together was speed, but 2 dif types of LW, not complementary. Thus not a true comparable to my pt.

I'm not sure I undervalue him at all. It is clear that you grossly exaggerate how "good" you think he is. I'm a realist and I've seen him play the past few seasons. I think he is what he is and that is a lower skilled checking forward/defensive 4C. I think he could very easily find himself in the AHL this upcoming season based on other moves. He is also 25yrs old, he doesn't figure as an important piece in the Rangers long term plans. For the record, Zib is also 25. Only one of those guys really matters to NYR. Guess which one.

The issue with your theory is that there is no real basis/reason to test your theory. Nieves is not a skilled player. He is not going to get a chance to play 1 or 2C. Nothing he has done on the ice suggests suggest he should get that chance. He is at the bottom of the depth pool as it applies to NYR's serviceable C's. There is no spark there that would suggest he could be an offensive player in the capacity you tout him at.

Whatever speed or smooth passing he possesses has not caught the eye of all of the Rangers coaching staff who see this guy play all the time. Those facets are obviously not better than the players that slot in ahead of him or who currently occupy the slot you feel he should have. Based on what he has done, I think that your theory is completely unwarranted and unsupported. It is based on nothing but a whim and possibly your desire to be "right".

Listen, Zib isn't being traded. He is the 1C we have not had since Messier was here. He certainly is not being moved to RW so that a grossly inferior player in Nieves can C a line for him. This is just more irrational nonsense. If Hughes falls to us at 2OA, the prospect of having a Zib/Hughes 1/2 punch moving forward is pretty damn enticing. There are plenty of guys to move.......we aren't trading Zib because we think Nieves can take his spot.

If you can rationalize that Grabner and Kreider are not comparable, you have to see that Nieves is not a skilled forward and doesn't possess the tools for the job you are volunteering him for. You are trying to plug in a defensive player for an offensive role. Square peg, round hole.

Last edited:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Nieves sucks for this team. On another team with less depth on the farm he can fill a 4th line role. The future of the Rangers 4th line lies with players like Fontaine, Gettinger and Elmer. Biggest thing the Rangers need to do now is some housecleaning to clear up roster spots. Some players like Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk can help other teams but some salary needs to be retained. Players like Nieves, Namestnikov, Fast, Vesey and Pionk need to be moved in deals for picks or to move up from the 20th pick in the first round.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Staal is actually one of the worst defensemen in the league
And he was one of our better d-men last year. So we must be a team full of some of the worst defensemen in the league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad