Value of: Make a Trade with Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Does TJ fetch a 1st...or would #41 from Flyers do it? No cap going back to TB.

If he can't nab a 1st, there's not much point in us trading him. We need 5v5 goals, and he provided those.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If he can't nab a 1st, there's not much point in us trading him. We need 5v5 goals, and he provided those.
And that's fair. Wasn't sure considering the need for cap space.

Philly's 1st is just way too early, obviously.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And that's fair. Wasn't sure considering the need for cap space.

Philly's 1st is just way too early, obviously.

I think we're open to trading any of our non-core players. It's just some guys we could move to the highest bidder to clear space, but other guys, like Johnson, we should probably only move if the price is right. I think a 1st would make JBB listen pretty hard. We need a shake-up, and Johnson could be one of the guys on the move, but anything less... and well, like I said, 5v5 goals turned out to be a huge deal in each of the last two playoffs for us, and, at least in the regular season, Johnson provides those.

And I mean, even in the playoffs. Johnson has 21 5v5 goals in his career . That doesn't sound overly impressive until you realize it's the exact same amount as Nikita Kucherov (in three more games) and nine more than Steven Stamkos (in two fewer games).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
The 66 + 89 could get you into the the 50's. The Rangers traded their early 2nd round pick so they don't have the 37 anymore they just have our 58. So in the trade we get 58 when a 66 + 89 should get that or higher. We would still have the 36 in my scenario.

Buying out Callahan is a bad option. We can retain 2mil on him and possibly get a return or at least have to pay a lot less to dump him. We could also take back a small comtrconor two if needed to make a deal feasible. I also see Miller and Gourde being shopped amywaa as we have a log jam in the top 9 as is.
Cap friendly shows
The 66 + 89 could get you into the the 50's. The Rangers traded their early 2nd round pick so they don't have the 37 anymore they just have our 58. So in the trade we get 58 when a 66 + 89 should get that or higher. We would still have the 36 in my scenario.

Buying out Callahan is a bad option. We can retain 2mil on him and possibly get a return or at least have to pay a lot less to dump him. We could also take back a small comtrconor two if needed to make a deal feasible. I also see Miller and Gourde being shopped amywaa as we have a log jam in the top 9 as is.
Definitely some good points here. First per cap friendly, you are right on the 37 OA but apparently they do have Dallas’s 2R at 49. If I had to choose between these two I would take the 49 rather than trying to parlay two lower pics into anything above it. There are no guarantees that would happen. Rather than give up the first your scenario of retaining some of Callahan’s salary to avoid that has merit as long as it’s not anything north of $2 million. Problem with dealing with teams in this situation is that what few teams can absorb Callahan also already hold so many draft picks. For my money the better dance partner maybe New Jersey. TB could probably move Callahan and Gourde to them and perhaps a prospect for Coleman and one of their 2R. If you look at their roster they have very little cost certainty in their forward group as most are not signed long-term.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
What happened to Risto? Didn’t he used to be really good and pretty much untouchable

It seems now that they have Dahlin they're prepared to use Risto (inconsistent and not the #1 D they wanted) to acquire other needs...support scoring, goaltending (although UFA should solve that for Buff), depth defense

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Trouba Roslo or Connor for Brayden Point.

I would do this if I were TBL - *IF* they allowed TB to negotiate extension prior to trade...at right value it's a great trade.

I'm still not sold on Point long-term. It's easy to put up points on an explosive team like TBL...they can score man.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To Arizona:
Callahan (30% retained)
Gourde
2020 2nd round pick

To Tampa:
Fischer
Connauton

Not certain about the 1sts getting involved, may wind up being #45, Fischer, and Connauton for Gourde and Callahan with same retainment.

This is bad for Tampa. Gourde alone could probably get 14 and Connauton. So to dump Callahan at just over 4mil, after the retention, it costs a 1st + 2nd just to get back Fischer who had 1 less point than Callahan in 19 more games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To Rangers: Callahan + 1st round pick. To Tampa: 2nd round pick.

That seems like a pretty good deal to. Tampa is drafting #27 for either #49 this year or a 32-40 range pick next year. Plus you get whatever asset you spend that extra cap on.

Leafs fans seem to think that they can get assets back for Marleau who makes more than Callahan. I'll trade Callahan straight up for a 2nd?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ondrej Palat

For

Kris Russell @ 3 mil
Your choice of NYI 2019 3rd round pick or EDM 2020 3rd round pick.

Buys Tampa some cap space, a useful defenceman, and no doubt another later draft find.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I agree about the 1st but that is what has been talked about a lot on here. The 2nd proposal makes more sense. Don’t have to move a 1st. You need to replace Callahan. Erne failed to do that, dude had 1 goal in his last 40 and was overhyped.

You get Vladdy back for half the price and can fill in that middle six role. Especially if they plan to move Miller and/or Gourde.

How about...

To Rangers: Callahan + 3rd round

To Tampa: Namestnikov (50% retained)

Why would the Rangers take Callahan's full cap hit for a 3rd? and then retain on Names....this is just not well thought out at all.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ondrej Palat

For

Kris Russell @ 3 mil
Your choice of NYI 2019 3rd round pick or EDM 2020 3rd round pick.

Buys Tampa some cap space, a useful defenceman, and no doubt another later draft find.

Lol, that is beyond awful for Tampa Bay.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yeah imo, cally is an upgrade over Vladdy for his on and off leadership and PK ability. He even had a better Points per 60 than Vladdy last season with only 4th line mins, but the salary cap hit we need to be getting a 2nd or two later picks to take on Cally. Even if I think he will be a solid bottom 6 for us. Still need that insurance sweetener.

Cally is not an upgrade on the roster though. NYR is not looking at Cally as an asset.
He is a cap dump we will acquire an asset for taking.....a 3rd is not enough.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is bad for Tampa. Gourde alone could probably get 14 and Connauton. So to dump Callahan at just over 4mil, after the retention, it costs a 1st + 2nd just to get back Fischer who had 1 less point than Callahan in 19 more games.

Ummm, Fischer is 22 years old and cost-controlled. He has put up the 20th most points for players drafted in 2015 and is about a 0.35 ppg player, which fits in line with a pick in the #18-32 range. The Bolts have the #27 pick.

Therefore, he is worth a late 1st/early 2nd alone, much like when he was taken in his draft year. The increased cap space is worth a late 2nd next year, unless you believe Tampa is not a playoff team. Considering other offers are Callahan and a 2nd to move up to #27 for cap relief, a late 2nd next year is on par with the relief. Callahan and Gourde's cap hits total $9.3 M with the retention and the Fischer/Connauton hit is a little over $2.3 M. Almost $7 M saved for a 2020 2nd round pick.

I think this makes total sense, based off of the value you state for Gourde and comparing a final year of Callahan's deal for at least 4 more years of Fischer and a year of Connauton plus relief. :dunno:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I didn’t see where it said that. If that’s the case that could be reasonable. I thought it referenced the New York rangers own second round pick which is 37th

NYR used that pick in the Adam Fox trade......they have the 49OA and the 59OA.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ummm, Fischer is 22 years old and cost-controlled. He has put up the 20th most points for players drafted in 2015 and is about a 0.35 ppg player, which fits in line with a pick in the #18-32 range. The Bolts have the #27 pick.

Therefore, he is worth a late 1st/early 2nd alone, much like when he was taken in his draft year. The increased cap space is worth a late 2nd next year, unless you believe Tampa is not a playoff team. Considering other offers are Callahan and a 2nd to move up to #27 for cap relief, a late 2nd next year is on par with the relief. Callahan and Gourde's cap hits total $9.3 M with the retention and the Fischer/Connauton hit is a little over $2.3 M. Almost $7 M saved for a 2020 2nd round pick.

I think this makes total sense, based off of the value you state for Gourde and comparing a final year of Callahan's deal for at least 4 more years of Fischer and a year of Connauton plus relief. :dunno:

Fischer just put up 1 less point than Callahan this year while playing 19 more games as well as over 2 minutes more a game. He may be younger and cheaper but I don't think he's an upgrade. Plus we are flush with plenty of our own prospects who we want to get into the lineup so Fischer has no value to us as we don't need him. We definitely don't need him at the cost of a late 1st too.

Callahan + 2nd in 2020 is probably what it would take to move him, if we take back Connauton I would do our 3rd this year instead. But if we traded Gourde then we really don't need to trade Callahan that badly as we would have the capspace we needed. So in that scenario we keep him or wait till a deal we really like comes along.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Fischer just put up 1 less point than Callahan this year while playing 19 more games as well as over 2 minutes more a game. He may be younger and cheaper but I don't think he's an upgrade. Plus we are flush with plenty of our own prospects who we want to get into the lineup so Fischer has no value to us as we don't need him. We definitely don't need him at the cost of a late 1st too.

Callahan + 2nd in 2020 is probably what it would take to move him, if we take back Connauton I would do our 3rd this year instead. But if we traded Gourde then we really don't need to trade Callahan that badly as we would have the capspace we needed. So in that scenario we keep him or wait till a deal we really like comes along.

All that I had read in discussions on the state of the Lightning is adding some size. Fischer is a power forward, and let's be honest - do you think that he does better in the future with a more solid offensive team, or worse? I would think that a developing power forward holds more value than a declining forward in Callahan. Last year wasn't Fischer's greatest year, but it was his second year in the league and more teams have a read on his abilities. Hell, if you look at stats from two years ago, Fischer had 15 more points in 40 seconds of additional ice time and 15 more games. Not everything is a linear path with an upward trajectory.

Point taken though, and if it were 14 and Connauton for Gourde (roughly, maybe a little more massaging of the deal), then the need to dump Callahan would be lessened and may not even be necessary for the Coyotes to take on.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
All that I had read in discussions on the state of the Lightning is adding some size. Fischer is a power forward, and let's be honest - do you think that he does better in the future with a more solid offensive team, or worse? I would think that a developing power forward holds more value than a declining forward in Callahan. Last year wasn't Fischer's greatest year, but it was his second year in the league and more teams have a read on his abilities. Hell, if you look at stats from two years ago, Fischer had 15 more points in 40 seconds of additional ice time and 15 more games. Not everything is a linear path with an upward trajectory.

Point taken though, and if it were 14 and Connauton for Gourde (roughly, maybe a little more massaging of the deal), then the need to dump Callahan would be lessened and may not even be necessary for the Coyotes to take on.

If you are offering a power forward I would want Crouse not Fischer. Change the two and I would consider that deal.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How do you come up with these values? A 1st to dump Callahan with a 2nd back then becomes two late picks and we get back a player who outproduced him with 50% retention. Seems like it should be Callahan + 1st for Namestnikov (50%) + 4th + 5th.

Tell me the last time a team traded a 1st to dump salary? We would be better off trading back from 27 to get additional assets then use one of those to move him. A 1st is too high.

Lawson Crouse, kind of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad