Value of: Make a Trade with Ottawa

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Considering how much the Sens love Brady, I doubt he’s being traded.

But are they decent offers? Dube has top six(I'd say second line myself) and Kylington has top four potential, Hamonic/Brodie add to the right side and a 1st or two are always handy

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You think Miller is better than a top pair Rd?

Brodie isn't a top pair RD. For one he isn't right handed and two if he does play there he is being carried by Giordano. He's also a year away from UFA and being shopped by Calgary so yes Miller is more valuable.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Understandable. Was just thinking that they would gain more dead cap so at the deadline they could retain on a Boedker or someone else to get a better return. A Condon buyout is 2.2 less than Callahan so you'll be at the cap floor but if you trade a player you might drop below, dead cap in Callahan keeps you above the floor more to retain more. Tampa could probably retain 10% to bring the actual cash between Condon and Callahan closer.

The Senators don't retain money in trades, so I'm not too concerned about that. They've done it once in their history, but that was part of a deal that ultimately saved them millions of dollars by swapping Dion Phaneuf's contract for Marian Gaborik's insured LTIR contract. Huge cash savings for the Senators there, even counting the retention.

Hypothetically, if the deadline rolls around this year and the Sens can get a 3rd rounder for Boedker at 50% retained or a 7th rounder for him straight up, the Sens would take the 7th round pick and the cash savings. That's just how the Senators are. A few years ago when they traded Brassard to the Penguins, Pittsburgh needed some retention to fit him in. Ottawa had something like 15M in unused cap space, but they steadfastly refused to even entertain the notion of retaining money. They needed a third party broker - Vegas Golden Knights - to make the trade work. The real money cost of retention to the Senators in this trade would have been a few hundred thousand dollars - at most! - but they wouldn't do it.

That's why most of the trades in this thread are wildly unrealistic. Ottawa don't take on money. They pinch every penny.

If the Sens add anybody as a cap floor buffer, it would be an insured contract like David Clarkson with basically zero real dollars owed. Ottawa covets this sort of contract so much that I think they would even give Vegas an asset to get it.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Regarding Benning, I felt he had neutral value. Is he a legit bottom pair D? Yes. Is he overpaid for that role? Yes, but he’s an ideal acquisition for the Sens given they need to reach the floor and he still possesses some developmental upside (just not enough for us to pay him 1.9 to do the same job Caleb Jones could do).

As for Gagner, I feel a lot of fellow Oiler fans were disillusioned with his performance based on nostalgia and the fact he played better than Spooner. Being better than Spooner is hardly a reason to bring him back. He’s good enough to play a bottom 6 role on the Sens, but that doesn’t change the fact he has negative value.

Let me frame it this way, we do this trade and use the 5 mil in space to sign a guy like Gus Nyquist, that’s a big win vs keeping those two on the roster. I’d much rather have Nyquist and Jones in the lineup vs Gagner and Benning.

We can sign Nyquist anyway. We have 12 ish million in cap space and nobody major to sign. Cap space for the sake of cap space - especially in terms of guys we can walk away from at the end of the year if we want to anyway - doesn’t make sense.

If the Leafs can get a return for Zaitsev I have a hard time believing Benning has zero-sum value. He’s worth more than *nothing*.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
But are they decent offers? Dube has top six(I'd say second line myself) and Kylington has top four potential, Hamonic/Brodie add to the right side and a 1st or two are always handy

Brodie has one year left and has a NTC. Not overly interested in him, and I doubt he’d be interested in us. Late first rounders don’t excite me much. Hamonic has one year left on his deal. Not the type of players Ottawa should be targeting.

Dube and Kylington may have top six and top four potential, but so do lots of players. Cowen, Weircoch, Puempel and Lazar did too, and we all know how that worked out.

Ottawa would be better off keeping Tkachuk.

Reactions: Altimus

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Just chiming in as a sens fan for people who might not follow us too much. While there's no such thing as untouchable, especially with Ottawa trading arguably 5 top line players in the past year, there are definitely some guys that are going nowhere for anything less than an extreme overpayment.

Tkachuk, Chabot, Brannstrom, and Batherson will probably be the team's core (plus next year's hopeful top 5 pick, we really really need a 1C) for the distant future. They're not going anywhere.

White, Brown, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, Wolanin, Jaros and JBD, along with this year's 19OA and 32OA could probably be had but it makes minimal sense for Ottawa to deal prospects during a rebuild.

The sens have other players that could be dealt in the next year or two like Ceci, Tierney, Pageau, and Demelo (I'd keep him personally), and those guys are all worth a 2nd/3rd. I could maybe see a contender getting ants and offering a late 1st for Tierney but with all of our picks and at this point in the rebuild, I'd rather a 2nd/3rd and a prospect.

The cap dump deals are the ones that make sense here. High cap hit but low salary deals is what Eugene wants. Sens could take on some cap hit and get assets back. My favourite is OTT and FLA swapping 1sts in a Luongo/Anderson deal. Clarkson is also a good option. Callahan as well. I'd easily take on Neal if we got Dube too. A big hell no to Lucic and Zaitsev.

Some of these are pretty good, but for the ones asking for Brannstrom/Tkachuk, I see why you would want them, but it's probably going to cost a lot more than you're thinking. Fanbase is already at odds with Melnyk, but he says they're keeping this group of prospects. Trading away a top prospect for meh could legit be the end of
NHL hockey in Ottawa.

Reactions: Sen sational

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
A lot. Ottawa didn’t trade Stone for Brannstrom just to turn around and trade him for Namestnikov, a third round pick and some guy I’ve never heard of.

Honestly, I don’t think Brannstrom is available.

What fun is this kinda thread if i cant trade for Brannstrom?

You got something for Stone, or he would have walked free.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
To OTT: Gagner (3.2m), Benning (1.9m), EDM 4th (100th pick)

To EDM: Adam Tambellini (whom we don’t qualify)

Oilers gain 5 mil in cap space, Sens get closer to the cap floor and get 2 guys who can play in their lineup everyday but have contracts that expire at the end of the year. Gagner brings some lottery magic (was there for 3 1st OA’s - though we didn’t actually win in 2011). Gagner has negative value - hence the 4th, Benning neutral value (probably not worth 1.9 per, but a solid #6 Dman who can put up 20pts and is a sneaky good hitter).

Yah so OTT takes on EDM trash for a 4th round pick? Get real bro, it'll cost you at leats a guy like Jones or Benson to pull off something like that

Both Gagner and Benning have negative value, a lot of it

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t believe either Gagner or Benning have negative value. I don’t think this is a good deal for us. Cap space is great and all but we’d have to replace those guys.

Stop kididng yourself, both of these guys hold negative value to the other 30 GM's in the league, You do not pay 4th lienrs and 7th d-man that kind of $$

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What fun is this kinda thread if i cant trade for Brannstrom?

You got something for Stone, or he would have walked free.

Yes, Ottawa got something for Stone. Which means they’re not going to trade that piece.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Were not trading any of our young prospects.

Deals where Ottawa takes on a bad contract to get a high pick or prospect makes the most sense

Bad contract swaps as well (Ryan Anderson Smith Condon Boedker)

Tierney and Ceci trade chips 25 and under (guys like Chlapik potentially too)

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Brodie has one year left and has a NTC. Not overly interested in him, and I doubt he’d be interested in us. Late first rounders don’t excite me much. Hamonic has one year left on his deal. Not the type of players Ottawa should be targeting.

Dube and Kylington may have top six and top four potential, but so do lots of players. Cowen, Weircoch, Puempel and Lazar did too, and we all know how that worked out.

Ottawa would be better off keeping Tkachuk.

Most players traded these days are either somewhat young rfa or older 1-2 years or less ufas, maybe Ottawa wouldn't be the team that would want them, maybe shop them right out for another few early picks. Good young prospects and any first is better than none lol

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yah so OTT takes on EDM trash for a 4th round pick? Get real bro, it'll cost you at leats a guy like Jones or Benson to pull off something like that

Both Gagner and Benning have negative value, a lot of it

Well “bro,” perhaps you should evaluate the proposal from every angle.

Facts:

- The Sens need to reach the cap floor, correct?

- The Sens aren’t looking to compete (not even Dorion could say they are with a straight face).

- The Sens are the most toxic destination for UFA’s in the league right now.

- Most teams trying to shed contracts have to deal with partial NMC’s.

Everybody thinks the Sens will simply take dead money to reach the floor via a contract like David Clarkson. The guy still has a 16 team NTC, why would he accept a deal to the Sens so he can make less money after tax?

There’s not nearly as many candidates out there for Ottawa to reach the floor as one would like to think.

Give me better options and I’ll believe you. I’m waiting.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Facts:

- The Sens aren’t looking to compete (not even Dorion could say they are with a straight face).

Everybody thinks the Sens will simply take dead money to reach the floor via a contract like David Clarkson. The guy still has a 16 team NTC, why would he accept a deal to the Sens so he can make less money after tax?

There’s not nearly as many candidates out there for Ottawa to reach the floor as one would like to think.

They arent THAt far off the floor. THey could also just overpay a couple of their RFA to reach said floor. No reason to take on dead salaries w/out the proper incentive to do so

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Two offers from the Flames, I'll try making it fair, as I like Ottawa and they are in my top 5, so here goes....

Brady + Anderson*(50%) + 3rd in 19 for 1st(26th) 19 + 1st 20 + Dube + Brodie

Or
Brady + Anderson*(33%) + 2nd 20 for 1st 20 + Dube + Kylington + Hamonic + 3rd 19?

Good package, but the Sens are not trading Brady Tkachuk.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
To OTT: Gagner (3.2m), Benning (1.9m), EDM 4th (100th pick)

To EDM: Adam Tambellini (whom we don’t qualify)

Oilers gain 5 mil in cap space, Sens get closer to the cap floor and get 2 guys who can play in their lineup everyday but have contracts that expire at the end of the year. Gagner brings some lottery magic (was there for 3 1st OA’s - though we didn’t actually win in 2011). Gagner has negative value - hence the 4th, Benning neutral value (probably not worth 1.9 per, but a solid #6 Dman who can put up 20pts and is a sneaky good hitter).
Ottawa won't have trouble meeting the cap for. If you want us to take your trash you better sweeten the pot. a 4th rounder is a complete joke. 2 bad contracts??? Come on

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Facts:

Ottawa won't have trouble meeting the floor. It's simple math. Read a book.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Gaudette has made Sutter redundant in Vancouver.

4.375, a reasonable 3rd line center with next to zero offensive playmaking ability, but can finish, defend, skate and kill penalties reasonably well. He has won north of 52 percent of his faceoffs here in Vancouver, getting some very important ice time for them as well. He has taken on some injuries lately unfortunately as well, which is where Gaudette has had his openning.

Gaudette has filled his role 5-on-5, Horvat has taken the faceoffs/important ice time situations, and Beagle kills his penalties and takes his defensive faceoffs. More than he isn't worth the money, he simply doesn't have a spot on the team anymore. Are there any bids from Senators fans?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Artemis Anisimov to Ottawa for a 2020 3rd round pick.

Trade completed after July 1st so the Hawks make Anisimov’s $2M bonus payment.

Hawks free up $4.5M in cap space.

Ottawa gets a useful middle six forward to help them reach the cap floor that will only cost them $5M in actual cas paid over the next two seasons. If Anisimov plays well, Ottawa could very well flip him for a higher return at the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad