Value of: Make a Trade with Ottawa

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ottawa could agree to flip him at the TDL to a contender. He would get plenty of ice time to showcase himself to potential buyers.
But Ottawa would need at least a 2nd coming back, remembering for Ottawa it is a cap dump and a TB will draft somewhere around 30th.

Tampa is taking back Condon. They aren't paying a 2nd and taking back a 2.4 AHL goalie. I also doubt Callahan waives for Ottawa no matter how much playing time he gets, he wants to go to a winner. He could be flipped with retention to another team if you wanted.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This is horrendous lol

Schenn is a year away from free agency, which is another reason for Ottawa not to do it. I mean, I wouldn’t do the deal if Schenn was signed long term, but to give up Tkachuk for one year of Schenn? Yeah, no thanks.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Tampa is taking back Condon. They aren't paying a 2nd and taking back a 2.4 AHL goalie. I also doubt Callahan waives for Ottawa no matter how much playing time he gets, he wants to go to a winner. He could be flipped with retention to another team if you wanted.

Buried he is 1.4. Otherwise it might work if we did your 2020 1st + Callahan with nothing going back.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Buried he is 1.4. Otherwise it might work if we did your 2020 1st + Callahan with nothing going back.

Still paying 3mil in actual cash for a buried goalie who probably doesn't play in the A because you have better options. We aren't paying a 1st to dump Callahan, possibly a 2nd with a late pick coming back.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Still paying 3mil in actual cash for a buried goalie who probably doesn't play in the A because you have better options. We aren't paying a 1st to dump Callahan, possibly a 2nd with a late pick coming back.
We are getting close, remember that Ottawa would take a 2020 1st so it gets put off another year. Given your team we are getting a pick likely in the 30s, your 2nd would be in the 60s to take on $5 million for a 3rd/4th line player for other teams.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We are getting close, remember that Ottawa would take a 2020 1st so it gets put off another year. Given your team we are getting a pick likely in the 30s, your 2nd would be in the 60s to take on $5 million for a 3rd/4th line player for other teams.

Are you wanting a 1st on top of taking Condon? That's just not happening even a 2nd isn't if he's included. We aren't even that desperate to move Callahan as we can move Miller or Gourde right now and free up the space we need. We can also try to move a Palat, Johnson or Killorn if we ask them to waive.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Are you wanting a 1st on top of taking Condon? That's just not happening even a 2nd isn't if he's included. We aren't even that desperate to move Callahan as we can move Miller or Gourde right now and free up the space we need. We can also try to move a Palat, Johnson or Killorn if we ask them to waive.
No, we keep Condon.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

You aren't really 'taking' Condon though are you? You're sending back nearly 5.0M of bad money in Callahan.

There is nothing in this deal for Ottawa. They aren't the sort of franchise that will punt off 2.0M in cash to upgrade a mid-round draft pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You aren't really 'taking' Condon though are you? You're sending back nearly 5.0M of bad money in Callahan.

There is nothing in this deal for Ottawa. They aren't the sort of franchise that will punt off 2.0M in cash to upgrade a mid-round draft pick.

With Condon then Callahan is essentially a 3.4 winger which is closer to his value. He was on a 27 point pace while playing just 11 minutes a night on the 4th line. He can PK and is a great leader, so him at that price has value. Condon is not a NHL quality keeper and probably not even AHL at this point. So he's essentially 1.4 in dead space, rather buy out Callahan and take the extra 1.2 in dead cap then spend a 1st or 2nd and take Condon.

They aren't punting off 2mil in cash. If you buyout Callahan the actual cash between him and Condon is almost the same. You get a bigger dead cap to get you above the floor and 1.5 next year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don’t believe either Gagner or Benning have negative value. I don’t think this is a good deal for us. Cap space is great and all but we’d have to replace those guys.

Regarding Benning, I felt he had neutral value. Is he a legit bottom pair D? Yes. Is he overpaid for that role? Yes, but he’s an ideal acquisition for the Sens given they need to reach the floor and he still possesses some developmental upside (just not enough for us to pay him 1.9 to do the same job Caleb Jones could do).

As for Gagner, I feel a lot of fellow Oiler fans were disillusioned with his performance based on nostalgia and the fact he played better than Spooner. Being better than Spooner is hardly a reason to bring him back. He’s good enough to play a bottom 6 role on the Sens, but that doesn’t change the fact he has negative value.

Let me frame it this way, we do this trade and use the 5 mil in space to sign a guy like Gus Nyquist, that’s a big win vs keeping those two on the roster. I’d much rather have Nyquist and Jones in the lineup vs Gagner and Benning.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
With Condon then Callahan is essentially a 3.4 winger which is closer to his value. He was on a 27 point pace while playing just 11 minutes a night on the 4th line. He can PK and is a great leader, so him at that price has value. Condon is not a NHL quality keeper and probably not even AHL at this point. So he's essentially 1.4 in dead space, rather buy out Callahan and take the extra 1.2 in dead cap then spend a 1st or 2nd and take Condon.

They aren't punting off 2mil in cash. If you buyout Callahan the actual cash between him and Condon is almost the same. You get a bigger dead cap to get you above the floor and 1.5 next year.

If the intent is a buyout then Condon can be bought out for about 1.2M less than Callahan. The Senators will always choose the option that costs them the least amount of real money.

The Senators won't have any issues hitting the cap floor. It's trivial. They won't even need to take on a single player not currently in the organization to do it.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Two offers from the Flames, I'll try making it fair, as I like Ottawa and they are in my top 5, so here goes....

Brady + Anderson*(50%) + 3rd in 19 for 1st(26th) 19 + 1st 20 + Dube + Brodie

Or
Brady + Anderson*(33%) + 2nd 20 for 1st 20 + Dube + Kylington + Hamonic + 3rd 19?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If the intent is a buyout then Condon can be bought out for about 1.2M less than Callahan. The Senators will always choose the option that costs them the least amount of real money.

The Senators won't have any issues hitting the cap floor. It's trivial. They won't even need to take on a single player not currently in the organization to do it.
Understandable. Was just thinking that they would gain more dead cap so at the deadline they could retain on a Boedker or someone else to get a better return. A Condon buyout is 2.2 less than Callahan so you'll be at the cap floor but if you trade a player you might drop below, dead cap in Callahan keeps you above the floor more to retain more. Tampa could probably retain 10% to bring the actual cash between Condon and Callahan closer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Two offers from the Flames, I'll try making it fair, as I like Ottawa and they are in my top 5, so here goes....

Tampa will beat that offer for Brady with the 27th + 1st 20 + Katchouk + Miller?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Or
Brady + Anderson*(33%) + 2nd 20 for 1st 20 + Dube + Kylington + Hamonic + 3rd 19?

Considering how much the Sens love Brady, I doubt he’s being traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00