Value of: Make a Trade with Carolina

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'd agree, although de Haan was in the top 4 for quite a while during the season. I also don't see them getting value for TVR or de Haan while they are recovering from shoulder surgery.

So that leaves Fleury and/or McKeown?

Faulk. Let's move him. I don't want him re-signed to a big money long term deal. We have Pesce + Slavin long term. CDH + Hamilton mid term. Fleury, Bean, TVR, McKeown who can take care of the bottom pairing. Faulk is a luxury that we can flip for a forward or other assets.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No clue to be honest. Roy has a lot of things I like. A bit of skill, plays with a bit of an edge, good size, seems to have good smarts. Problem is, his skating is pretty bad IMO. The times he was up with Carolina, he looked really slow. Maybe that can be worked on, but that will be the thing that limits him at the NHL level.

One problem the Canes have is a lack for RH shots at forward though. Only Williams at the NHL level is RH shot. Thankfully, many of our better prospects (Necas, Gauthier, Geekie, Roy) are RHS. Not that will mean the Canes wouldn't trade them, just that it's an area of need.
Good call, I see a lot of the same. Skating needs to improve but as you pointed out, he’s got the IQ. He’s good on the draws and at least did well killing for Charlotte from what I saw. I think he’d have a shot at earning a roster spot under Babcock. Problem being I’m trying to think of a prospect for prospect swap but none seem sensible for both. Leafs have a few top guys but it gets pretty mediocre in a hurry and I can’t imagine the Canes dealing him unless it’s for something that fits better. Pick wouldn’t make much sense, either... Probably pretty unlikely, but a good concept. :laugh:

Pretty great for the Canes to see all the youth on such a very good team in the AHL. Those kids are getting one hell of an education right now..

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I very respectfully disagree. Faulk had a great year, but Hamilton was amazing after his hand injury healed.

We're very happy with Dougie.

Agreed. Faulk is fine all-round (I don't mean he's great at everything, or anything really, but he's... fine). Hamilton has his peaks and valleys but he is a game changer and brings certain elements that no one else on the team has. His hockey IQ isn't the best but the tools are there and he looked phenomenal in the 2nd half and for parts of the playoffs. He started playing with an edge and using his body too. Maybe not in the smartest way all the time but he was a force and noticable. Was he paired with CDH last year at all? I missed a lot in the first half of the season but I know an issue with Hamilton was finding a partner that worked. You would think that he would gel well with someone who would be a stay at home rock so he can go up and down and do his thing.

Slavin - Pesce
CDH - Hamilton
Fleury/Bean/TVR/McKeown

That's completely fine. I realize that TVR and CDH have injuries so starting the year could be a bit tricky but that is what things should look like going forward imo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is this the place where the "free to good home bit parts for all your career great defensemen I just learned about a month ago" signs go?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Good call, I see a lot of the same. Skating needs to improve but as you pointed out, he’s got the IQ. He’s good on the draws and at least did well killing for Charlotte from what I saw. I think he’d have a shot at earning a roster spot under Babcock. Problem being I’m trying to think of a prospect for prospect swap but none seem sensible for both. Leafs have a few top guys but it gets pretty mediocre in a hurry and I can’t imagine the Canes dealing him unless it’s for something that fits better. Pick wouldn’t make much sense, either... Probably pretty unlikely, but a good concept. :laugh:

BigDaddyCane brought up a good point about him being waiver exempt and that if he's moved, he's probably part of a package.

Pretty great for the Canes to see all the youth on such a very good team in the AHL. Those kids are getting one hell of an education right now..

Yeah, sure is. Especially against the wolves are are a very veteran team. A good challenge and learning experience. Wolves key guys: Carr (27), Tynan (27), Macek (27), McKenzie (28), Pirri (28), Hyka (26), are the Wolves top forwards and they have Tye McGinn(28), Griffin Reinhart(25), Stefan Matteau (25). That's a pretty veteran AHL team with a lot of NHL experience as well.

Checkers key guys are: Poturalski (25), Saarela (22), Necas (20), Geekie (20), Bean (20), Gauthier (21), Kuokkanen (21-injured), Roy (22), Fleury (22), McKeown (23), with some vets sprinkled in: Jurco (26), Carrick (24), Schilkey (25), Renouf (25), etc...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It’s not my preference as a fan, but I’d be shocked if the actual organization wouldn’t consider that option.

After Nylander gets his bonus he is owed only $700k in salary next year. Leveraging contractual circumstances to take advantage of a situation to that level has to have Subprime Dundon drooling. It was a contract made for Carolina.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
BigDaddyCane brought up a good point about him being waiver exempt and that if he's moved, he's probably part of a package.

Yeah, sure is. Especially against the wolves are are a very veteran team. A good challenge and learning experience. Wolves key guys: Carr (27), Tynan (27), Macek (27), McKenzie (28), Pirri (28), Hyka (26), are the Wolves top forwards and they have Tye McGinn(28), Griffin Reinhart(25), Stefan Matteau (25). That's a pretty veteran AHL team with a lot of NHL experience as well.

Checkers key guys are: Poturalski (25), Saarela (22), Necas (20), Geekie (20), Bean (20), Gauthier (21), Kuokkanen (21-injured), Roy (22), Fleury (22), McKeown (23), with some vets sprinkled in: Jurco (26), Carrick (24), Schilkey (25), Renouf (25), etc...
Yeah, I haven’t followed since they dropped the Marlies but the youth is what immediately stands out. A lot of ‘good’ AHL teams are sprinkled with prospects but built largely on lifers.

Why’d you fire Francis again? :laugh:

Reactions: MinJerkBen

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wonder what a realistic trade with TOR looks like for one of the RD (Faulk/Pesce/Hamilton)?

I don’t buy for a second that CAR would be willing to downgrade any of those 3 RD to Zaitsev just to acquire a guy like Kapanen. That makes 0 sense. Are guys like Kapanen/Johnsson the only top 6 fwds available? Don’t other teams need RD? Why would CAR take on another RD when they have an excess already?

The only situation I can see where they’d consider taking on Zaitsev would be one with another team involved. Maybe something like:

TOR : gets 1 of the RD

Team X : gets Zaitsev

CAR : gets Kapanen + futures/roster player to make it worth their trouble

Who knows, that just seems too complicated. So, what does a trade, sans Zaitsev, potentially look like between the 2 teams? They certainly scouted each other enough over last season. I don’t think CAR would be completely against taking back a guy like Brown to help out TOR’s cap situation, but as stated above, Zaitsev is a non-starter.

I also don’t think that it’s beyond the realm of possibility that Pesce is the guy dealt. I’d hate it, but I don’t think he’s untouchable. More realistic though would be Faulk as the guy to go.

In the end, maybe there’s not really a fit here as Faulk doesn’t really fit in stylistically with TOR nor does he have term, and I don’t think Kapanen/Johnsson on their own come close to moving the needle to get CAR to think about moving one of Pesce or Hamilton.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The appeal of Kapanen, and Johnsson, in my mind is value. This is an opportunity to get a potential Top 6 forward for Middle 6 prices, both contract and acquisition. Strip either of those away and I really don't understand it. Carolina isn't getting a Top 6 center that can be a bridge to Necas there. Carolina isn't getting a piece that can transform a significant weakness: the PP. Why overpay (in the case of Pesce and Hamilton) for an unproven player that doesn't really address a pressing need?

Carolina won as many playoffs games this Spring as Toronto has won over the past 3 years combined. It's Toronto, not Carolina, that is dealing with cap pressure. I understand the Leafs making big moves. Why is Carolina? Because the Leafs are in the market for what Carolina has?

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want to trade CAR for MN, but MN(which is now CAR players) gets to keep Brodin, and CAR(which is now MN players) gets to keep Hamilton. We will have joint, and alternating custody of Slavin and Spurgeon, as well as Boudreau and Muscles.

Oh and we swap winters as well, except for late December, because the trees look so purty with snow on them.

Deal?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I want to trade CAR for MN, but MN(which is now CAR players) gets to keep Brodin, and CAR(which is now MN players) gets to keep Hamilton. We will have joint, and alternating custody of Slavin and Spurgeon, as well as Boudreau and Muscles.

Oh and we swap winters as well, except for late December, because the trees look so purty with snow on them.

Deal?
giphy.gif

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the end, maybe there’s not really a fit here as Faulk doesn’t really fit in stylistically with TOR nor does he have term, and I don’t think Kapanen/Johnsson on their own come close to moving the needle to get CAR to think about moving one of Pesce or Hamilton.

I think you hit it here. Kapanen gets you Faulk. Unless the add on is huge there's no quantity for quality trade where I give up Pesce or Hamilton for him.

The appeal of Kapanen, and Johnsson, in my mind is value. This is an opportunity to get a potential Top 6 forward for Middle 6 prices, both contract and acquisition. Strip either of those away and I really don't understand it. Carolina isn't getting a Top 6 center that can be a bridge to Necas there. Carolina isn't getting a piece that can transform a significant weakness: the PP. Why overpay (in the case of Pesce and Hamilton) for an unproven player that doesn't really address a pressing need?

Carolina won as many playoffs games this Spring as Toronto has won over the past 3 years combined. It's Toronto, not Carolina, that is dealing with cap pressure. I understand the Leafs making big moves. Why is Carolina? Because the Leafs are in the market for what Carolina has?

Yes, exactly. I want AJ and KK because they are decently good now, but could become legit contributors on their own but due to Toronto's cap situation they *should* be available for less than what they are worth. If I'm paying full market value and a premium price for either guy then I move on and target better players.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC

Deal?

Fax us the paperwork.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe it just me, but Toronto - Carolina trade deals have been discussed ad nauseum since October/November.

Aren't there 29 other teams we can have discussions about? Pretty please?

I'm not getting my hopes up. One team's excess aligns with another team's deficiency rarely. We have had the misfortune of following a team that has what the team in the league's biggest media market needs. The constant discussion is a function of the lack of options the Leafs have had and may continue to have. There's a real possibility that the Toronto media, and HF as a result, is still talking about Carolina's RHD 6 months from now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would think that Zucker would be a nice add to give my favorite bunch of jerks some more scoring depth up front, but I have no clue what CAR has to offer in return( we don't need Dmen or LW's).

Maybe MN should just give them Zucker, as a random act of kindness.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would think that Zucker would be a nice add to give my favorite bunch of jerks some more scoring depth up front, but I have no clue what CAR has to offer in return( we don't need Dmen or LW's).

Maybe MN should just give them Zucker, as a random act of kindness.

Canes would like Zucker but all they have to trade is defensemen and LW. Justin Williams was the Canes only regular right handed player last year.

All of their picks (#28, #36, #37, #58) and prospects not named Necas (includes Gauthier, Saarela, Kuokkanen, Nic Roy, Drury, etc.) would be available. But I get the feeling that Minnesota wants immediate contributors based on the Kessel deal.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Zucker's handedness would be a problem in CAR, then. Nino can play on the off wing, but Zucker is a guy who should be on the left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad