Value of: Make a Trade with Carolina

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We're going to hop over to the Metropolitan division next. Sorry Pacific Division!

:canes

Make a trade with your favorite team with this team that MAKES SENSE FOR BOTH SIDES. It can be 1 for 1, taking on a bad contract, flipping 7th rounders, whatever you deem is necessary to not only make your team better but the other one too. If it's a rebuilding/retooling side they obviously want something for the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Carolina pretty much only needs top 6 forwards, and isn’t overly interested in moving NHL pieces to get them, correct?

Don’t think Edmonton’s a fit since all proposing Puljujarvi gets is yelling and offers of 4th round picks and LHD we don’t really need.

If we weren’t so shallow up front RNH for multiple pieces might make sense but I don’t see a scenario where Edmonton is made better by a deal like this.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Carolina pretty much only needs top 6 forwards, and isn’t overly interested in moving NHL pieces to get them, correct?

Don’t think Edmonton’s a fit since all proposing Puljujarvi gets is yelling and offers of 4th round picks and LHD we don’t really need.

If we weren’t so shallow up front RNH for multiple pieces might make sense but I don’t see a scenario where Edmonton is made better by a deal like this.

I think there's interest in moving a couple of specific NHL pieces. Faulk is a top candidate because he's one year until UFA. TVR would have been a candidate before his shoulder surgery for the same reason.

Beyond that, you are correct that there is a surplus of picks and prospects in Charlotte which could be used to acquire a top 6 forward, especially a right-handed forward. Some of that could also be replenished by dealing Faulk for similar picks/prospects if a 1-1 deal isn't available.

Darling will be bought out and most bad contract swaps I've seen would be worse for Carolina than just buying out Darling ($1.183M/year for 4 years) and moving on. Beyond Darling, there are no truly bad contracts to deal.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think there's interest in moving a couple of specific NHL pieces. Faulk is a top candidate because he's one year until UFA. TVR would have been a candidate before his shoulder surgery for the same reason.

Beyond that, you are correct that there is a surplus of picks and prospects in Charlotte which could be used to acquire a top 6 forward, especially a right-handed forward. Some of that could also be replenished by dealing Faulk for similar picks/prospects if a 1-1 deal isn't available.

Darling will be bought out and most bad contract swaps I've seen would be worse for Carolina than just buying out Darling ($1.183M/year for 4 years) and moving on. Beyond Darling, there are no truly bad contracts to deal.

Faulk has a pretty good season, he might return a 2nd line forward right now if the team getting him thought he could be convinced to stay. TVR I would imagine would have quite limited value.

I know you mentioned a right hander but have you explored Jason Zucker? Coming off a sub par season for him, Minnesota wants futures (as they have very little cap space) and I think Zucker could be a nice fit.

Reactions: DaveG

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Faulk has a pretty good season, he might return a 2nd line forward right now if the team getting him thought he could be convinced to stay. TVR I would imagine would have quite limited value.

I know you mentioned a right hander but have you explored Jason Zucker? Coming off a sub par season for him, Minnesota wants futures (as they have very little cap space) and I think Zucker could be a nice fit.
Minnesota has plenty of cap space and don't seem to be seeking futures at all for Zucker, to the chagrin of some fans. If we traded Spurgeon I think something around Zucker and Faulk would make sense, but beyond that there's not much to work with between these two teams.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I fear Fenton now has Waddell's cell number blocked after Nino-for-Rask.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I actually like Faulk, but the thing that always bothers me about him, is for a mostly offensive guy, he never actually puts up that many points. 49 as a career high, and this year with 35 in his first plus, plus minus season. I like the way he plays, just wish there was more actual production from him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Minnesota has plenty of cap space and don't seem to be seeking futures at all for Zucker, to the chagrin of some fans. If we traded Spurgeon I think something around Zucker and Faulk would make sense, but beyond that there's not much to work with between these two teams.

That’s curious. I’ve seen a few Zucker for picks deals floating around (understanding they’re based on the highly unlikely Turcotte dropping scenario)

You do have some space, but you also only have 7 forwards signed (though I’d assume Greenway and Kunin are NHLers fulltime next year)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I actually like Faulk, but the thing that always bothers me about him, is for a mostly offensive guy, he never actually puts up that many points. 49 as a career high, and this year with 35 in his first plus, plus minus season. I like the way he plays, just wish there was more actual production from him.

Canes pp is bad. Like real bad. Faulk has a cannon but it can be wild at times. If he’s on a team that can move the puck around and get him open looks he can pot 15-20 goals.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not that all of these guys will be moved, but here's how I'd categorize them. Other Canes fans may disagree.

Assets that I think are likely to be available / being shopped: Faulk, Fleury, TVR, McKeown, Saarela, Roy, Canes 1st round pick, one or two of our 2nd round picks.
Guys that might be available but probably aren't actively being shopped: McGinn, Hamilton, Wallmark, Gauthier, Kuokkanen.
Guys that are unlikely to be available: Foegele, Nino, Necas, Bean, De Hann, Teravainen, Staal, Pesce, Martinook, Nedeljkovic, Geekie,
Guys that are virtually untouchable: Aho, Slavin, Svechnikov.

I ignored lower level prospects/journeymen and probably forgot 1 or two guys.

Needs: top six forward, preferable RH, help on the PP. Maybe goaltending but I assume they'll re-sign one or both of Mrazek/McElhinney

Reactions: Unsustainable

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That’s curious. I’ve seen a few Zucker for picks deals floating around (understanding they’re based on the highly unlikely Turcotte dropping scenario)

You do have some space, but you also only have 7 forwards signed (though I’d assume Greenway and Kunin are NHLers fulltime next year)
Parise ($7.5m) - Staal ($3.3m) - Fiala ($4m?)
Zucker ($5.5m) - Koivu ($5.5m) - Kunin ($1m)
Donato ($2m?) - Eriksson-Ek ($2m?) - Rask ($4m)
Foligno ($2.9m) - Sturm ($1m?) - Mayhew ($0.7m)
13th forward ($1m?)

Suter ($7.5m) - Dumba ($6m)
Brodin ($4.2m) - Spurgeon ($5.2m)
Seeler ($0.8m) - Pateryn ($2.3m)
Hunt ($1m?)

Dubnyk ($4.3m)
Stalock ($0.8m)

[Ennis buyout - $1.2m]

Total cap used: $73.7m

A lot depends on how the RFA extensions go, especially Fiala's, but I don't think there's much potential for any of them to get out of control.

All that aside, there's definitely a willingness among fans to flip Zucker for the best futures we can get. The Colorado and Arizona 1sts have been high on the list. But I seriously doubt that's where Fenton's head is at this summer.

Edit: Just realized I didn't even include Greenway ($1m). Just shows how jammed up we are at forward right now.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Not that all of these guys will be moved, but here's how I'd categorize them. Other Canes fans may disagree.

Assets that I think are likely to be available / being shopped: Faulk, Fleury, TVR, McKeown, Saarela, Roy, Canes 1st round pick, one or two of our 2nd round picks.
Guys that might be available but probably aren't actively being shopped: McGinn, Hamilton, Wallmark, Gauthier, Kuokkanen.
Guys that are unlikely to be available: Foegele, Nino, Necas, Bean, De Hann, Teravainen, Staal, Pesce, Martinook, Nedeljkovic, Geekie,
Guys that are virtually untouchable: Aho, Slavin, Svechnikov.

I ignored lower level prospects/journeymen and probably forgot 1 or two guys.

Needs: top six forward, preferable RH, help on the PP. Maybe goaltending but I assume they'll re-sign one or both of Mrazek/McElhinney

Good list. Only one I'd change is Jake Bean. I think Bean would be readily available in any trade that significantly improves the team (such as a goal scoring C with term).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad