Value of: Make a Trade with Carolina

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Good list. Only one I'd change is Jake Bean. I think Bean would be readily available in any trade that significantly improves the team (such as a goal scoring C with term).
I'm not so sure on that...unless we extend Faulk, we have nothing resembling a PPQB if we trade Bean (not that Faulk is a good PPQB or Bean will become one, but no chance if you trade him)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
JT Miller for 37 + 59 + Buffalo 3rd in 20. Would do the Rangers 3rd but it's conditional. Basically Adam Fox + 59 for Miller.
That has legs, or 28+59 for Miller?

Usually the response isn't to increase the value of the pick.

I'm not so sure on that...unless we extend Faulk, we have nothing resembling a PPQB if we trade Bean (not that Faulk is a good PPQB or Bean will become one, but no chance if you trade him)

That is assuming that Bean is the answer to the Canes PPQB woes. I'm not so sure that is true. Trevor Carrick and Jake Bean each had 20 PP Points this year. Doesn't appear that Jake Bean was the clear #1 PPQB on his AHL team.

Besides, the Canes would be foolish to pin their PP hopes on any Rookie... especially not at a position as critical as the #1 PPQB. I don't think it is a coincidence that the leagues top PPQBs are all veterans. Yandle, Carlson, Krug, Hedman, Burns, Barrier, Giordano, Karlsson, Letang, Doughty. Even a phenom like Rasmus Dahlin barely cracked the top-10 of PP scoring among D.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The more I think about it, the more I really like Haula. He's very cheap next year relative to his 17-18 production at just $2.75 mil; that provides more of an opportunity to maintain the status quo elsewhere on the roster. There's no long-term commitment attached to him as a 2020 UFA. He can play center now and shift over to the wing for Necas later, if re-signed. A center pushes Wallmark down instead of a wing forcing Foegele to the 4th line coming off his big postseason. He scored 12 PPGs in his big year; there's a fit for him in the mid-slot/netfront of a reformed PP. The acquisition cost shouldn't be too heavy considering his contract term, recent injury and Vegas' cap situation.

A Foegele - Haula - Necas speed line would change the dynamic of the Bottom 6.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Not that all of these guys will be moved, but here's how I'd categorize them. Other Canes fans may disagree.

Assets that I think are likely to be available / being shopped: Faulk, Fleury, TVR, McKeown, Saarela, Roy, Canes 1st round pick, one or two of our 2nd round picks.
Guys that might be available but probably aren't actively being shopped: McGinn, Hamilton, Wallmark, Gauthier, Kuokkanen.
Guys that are unlikely to be available: Foegele, Nino, Necas, Bean, De Hann, Teravainen, Staal, Pesce, Martinook, Nedeljkovic, Geekie,
Guys that are virtually untouchable: Aho, Slavin, Svechnikov.

I ignored lower level prospects/journeymen and probably forgot 1 or two guys.

Needs: top six forward, preferable RH, help on the PP. Maybe goaltending but I assume they'll re-sign one or both of Mrazek/McElhinney

I agree with this 99%....I think Necas is a little more available than he was previously though. And if Hamilton is available we are so dumb.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What? Why would you entertain any of those offers for Pesce at all? Unless the + on AJ and Kapanen are bigger pieces than either of those players the value is way off. Kadri is closer but still not moving Pesce for him after the seasons and playoffs they both had.

I believe they mean all 3 in one deal, not that they would consider all 3 deals.

Kadri + Kapanen + AJ for Pesce (+ Wallmark + picks/prospects)

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
CAR doesn’t want to deal 1 of their top 4 guys?

Five helpful hints for would-be NHL traders during the Stanley Cup Final

Kinda squares up with what Friedman reported a few weeks ago...

How can this be? I thought they wanted to trade Pesce for Zaitsev and Kapanen...:sarcasm:

The difficulty with that comment from Allen is that Carolina has 5 top 4 defensemen: Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, de Haan. So are they hanging onto all 5? Or is there one available for a deal?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The difficulty with that comment from Allen is that Carolina has 5 top 4 defensemen: Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, de Haan. So are they hanging onto all 5? Or is there one available for a deal?

I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that thetop 4 Allen is referring to is, as they were in the playoffs, Pesce/Slavin/Faulk/Hamilton.

Reactions: Chrispy

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that thetop 4 Allen is referring to is, as they were in the playoffs, Pesce/Slavin/Faulk/Hamilton.

I'd agree, although de Haan was in the top 4 for quite a while during the season. I also don't see them getting value for TVR or de Haan while they are recovering from shoulder surgery.

So that leaves Fleury and/or McKeown?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

And has been stated elsewhere, de Hann and TVR had shoulder surgery. de Hann likely won't be ready to start the season and TVR may not be either. There's some risk involved in trading one of the top 4 before one of those guys is back for sure.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So we're back to Nylander straight up? After his July 1st signing bonus.

While many Leafs fans and Toronto media members would disagree, the value is in line, all things considered. I don't believe, or at least don't want to believe, Carolina makes that trade, however. The expectation of transformative change coming off a Conference Finals appearance seems misplaced to me. I wonder if the league's biggest media market wasn't in the hunt for what the Canes have, would anyone be talking about Carolina trading away a significant part of the team that just had a lot of success?

Carolina has the pieces in the organization to potentially consistently compete at a high level. It's just a matter of being patient with Svechnikov and Necas, in particular. Personally, I want to see that play out, even if it means a step back next year. Don't sell out to try to win the Cup in 19-20.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nicolas Roy to Toronto. No idea where to start.

There’s a few guys I’d like off that Checkers roster.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Nicolas Roy to Toronto. No idea where to start.

There’s a few guys I’d like off that Checkers roster.

My guess is Necas, Bean, Gauthier and Geekie are probably guys they wouldn't want to move though. I think they'd probably be ok moving Roy though.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
My guess is Necas, Bean, Gauthier and Geekie are probably guys they wouldn't want to move though. I think they'd probably be ok moving Roy though.
:laugh: yeah, I didn’t even bother with Gauthier. He would be the top target, though.

What sort of return do you think makes sense for Roy? The Leafs need bottom 6 players who can play a little. He’s a RHS who can take FO and kill. He profiles almost exactly as the player they’d covet IMO.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Roy is exempt from waivers for another season. There's no pressure to do anything with him. I think he gets moved as a secondary piece for a Top 9 forward or they kick the can down the road on him. Carolina has a ton of draft picks already and doesn't have a glaring hole in the prospect pool that needs to be addressed.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
:laugh: yeah, I didn’t even bother with Gauthier. He would be the top target, though.

What sort of return do you think makes sense for Roy? The Leafs need bottom 6 players who can play a little. He’s a RHS who can take FO and kill. He profiles almost exactly as the player they’d covet IMO.

No clue to be honest. Roy has a lot of things I like. A bit of skill, plays with a bit of an edge, good size, seems to have good smarts. Problem is, his skating is pretty bad IMO. The times he was up with Carolina, he looked really slow. Maybe that can be worked on, but that will be the thing that limits him at the NHL level.

One problem the Canes have is a lack for RH shots at forward though. Only Williams at the NHL level is RH shot. Thankfully, many of our better prospects (Necas, Gauthier, Geekie, Roy) are RHS. Not that will mean the Canes wouldn't trade them, just that it's an area of need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad