Value of: Make a Trade with Buffalo

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Henrique would be a decent answer to our issue at C but I think we would rather have a d prospect coming back as well for Risto.

If Henrique is the best C we can get for Risto, I'm keeping Risto 100%. I could live with Henrique, even with that contract, at the right acquisition cost, but that cost absolutely doesn't involve Ristolainen.

Reactions: Sabreality

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If Henrique is the best C we can get for Risto, I'm keeping Risto 100%. I could live with Henrique, even with that contract, at the right acquisition cost, but that cost absolutely doesn't involve Ristolainen.
I get that as well. If Bobblehead is hellbent on trading him, that is not a bad start. I would rather a D man coming back as well, but Henrique's underlying possession numbers are pretty good.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
They need to make a move this summer if they want to get out of the basement. Mitts could use a lesser role and Henrique could slide down in the later years. he also is a decent PK guy. Henrique and Reinhart would be formidable on the second line. I do not think he falls off the edge at 30, but I get the concern.
Yeah I agree they need to make a move, and they will, I just don't like the target for right now. I'd much prefer taking on a 1yr guy like Haula worst case scenario, and reassess next summer than clogging cap with another 30yr old for 4 xtra years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I get that as well. If Bobblehead is hellbent on trading him, that is not a bad start. I would rather a D man coming back as well, but Henrique's underlying possession numbers are pretty good.

Doesn't seem to be the case, at least not now that Krueger's on board (thank you, Krueger).

With Karlsson signed and Trouba traded, Risto's price should only go up. He's obviously not untouchable in the eyes of the Sabres, but if the main piece coming back for him is Henrique, I'll be livid.

Reactions: kundahlini

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
JT Miller for pick 31
Pick 10 and Jake Virtanen for Rasmus Ristolainen, Conor Sheary and Zemgus Girgensons
Kyle Turris For Vladimir Sobotka and a 3rd
Zucker for McCabe
Eakin and pick 17 for Buffalo’s 2020 1st
Vesey for Sheary
Kreider for pick 31
Tanev for Bogosian
Martin Jones and Timo Meier for Carter Hutton and Pick 7
Marco Scandella and Alex Nylander for Philip Danault

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
What do the Sabres need most? Depth.

They certainly don't need another prospect that would do nothing for them in 3 years. The Sabres cant draft or develop. Might as well get NHL talent for your pick.
The Sabres have done alright with top 10 picks. It's just about everywhere else they've dropped the ball. You dont trade a top 10 pick for that package or you run the risk of Kreider walking next offseason and only having a past his prime overpaid defenseman and a guy who might become a middle 6 forward to show for it. Meanwhile that 7th overall pick has years and years of team control with a very ceiling. No GM would be stupid enough to make a trade like this, look at the history of top 10 picks being traded. It's few and far between and it's never in a deal centered around a pending UFA and a bunch of meh.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Yea because adding 3 NHL players to a team desperately in need of NHL talent is terrible. I guess keep the rebuild going and hope for 7th OA to turn into a good player in 3 or 4 years. Not like Buffalo needs any players or anything.
They will absolutely get a great player at 7th overall...Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy, Cozens, Dach...there will be several to pick from, and he'll probably be ready next year.

How highly does BUF fans value Reinhart? Would you guys be interested in a deal around him and Subban?
Reinhart is in a group with Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner, Mittelstadt and Luukkonen...they are untouchable in my eyes, they will be the core of the team when the Sabres are good.

Reactions: Gh24

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Look, I'm not going to try to oversell Henrique but you are really selling him short. Henrique is a solid addition to the top 9 of any team in the league. He's great defensively, good on F/O's, and is a 20/20 guy offensively. Those qualities are never bad things. He's cost guaranteed at what a 2/3c makes in this league. Anaheim would miss him a LOT but could compensate with Steel and Lundestrom ready to take the next step. Ritchie is still young and has been inconsistent but still has upside and did take another step forward last year. Risto is appealing to Anaheim b/c he is a RHD and has a good shot. It seems that the [vast?] majority of Buffalo fans have grown to hate him and say he is terrible defensively. If true, Anaheim is taking a risk acquiring him but so be it. Risto also seems to be somewhat expendable b/c Buffalo's right side can absorb his loss. How much more do you think you can get for him?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Look, I'm not going to try to oversell Henrique but you are really selling him short. Henrique is a solid addition to the top 9 of any team in the league. He's great defensively, good on F/O's, and is a 20/20 guy offensively. Those qualities are never bad things. He's cost guaranteed at what a 2/3c makes in this league. Anaheim would miss him a LOT but could compensate with Steel and Lundestrom ready to take the next step. Ritchie is still young and has been inconsistent but still has upside and did take another step forward last year. Risto is appealing to Anaheim b/c he is a RHD and has a good shot. It seems that the [vast?] majority of Buffalo fans have grown to hate him and say he is terrible defensively. If true, Anaheim is taking a risk acquiring him but so be it. Risto also seems to be somewhat expendable b/c Buffalo's right side can absorb his loss. How much more do you think you can get for him?

I think most Buffalo fans see that he's been horribly used by our last 2 coaches. Bylsma and Housley both ran Risto into the ground riding him 26+ minutes a game against the other teams' best players while saddling him with partners like Gorges and Scandella, and (on top of that) running breakout systems that offered virtually no puck support. There are very, very few defensemen in the league who would fare well in the role Risto's played the last several seasons. It's not much of a slight against Risto that he isn't among that small handful. I'd much rather see Risto under a competent coach than on another team unless we get an offer that's flat-out too good to say no to. Henrique and parts isn't that.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think most Buffalo fans see that he's been horribly used by our last 2 coaches. Bylsma and Housley both ran Risto into the ground riding him 26+ minutes a game against the other teams' best players while saddling him with partners like Gorges and Scandella, and (on top of that) running breakout systems that offered virtually no puck support. There are very, very few defensemen in the league who would fare well in the role Risto's played the last several seasons. It's not much of a slight against Risto that he isn't among that small handful. I'd much rather see Risto under a competent coach than on another team unless we get an offer that's flat-out too good to say no to. Henrique and parts isn't that.

Fair enough. I suspect there are pro scouts who watch him that might disagree with your assessment and that may limit any return you get for him. My guess is that he'll stay in Buffalo or if he gets moved you'll be disappointed by the return.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
hello no

Henrique is close to cap dump material given term left.

Oh I get it now...any player who is signed until he is 34 is now a cap dump...even though he is productive and shows no signs of decline. That Skinner guy must be cap dump material as well given his contract. Sheesh!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Fair enough. I suspect there are pro scouts who watch him that might disagree with your assessment and that may limit any return you get for him. My guess is that he'll stay in Buffalo or if he gets moved you'll be disappointed by the return.

that is the point---he isnt getting traded for random crap. Could he be traded sure---but if he gets moved it is a blow the doors offer.

I do think the new coach wants to keep him around and see what he does when played right.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Oh I get it now...any player who is signed until he is 34 is now a cap dump...even though he is productive and shows no signs of decline. That Skinner guy must be cap dump material as well given his contract. Sheesh!

by my book anyone after 32/33 has serious drop off a cliff risk. After then it should be 1-2 yr contracts

Perry was 33 ;last season and what happened.

I am not interested in $6M+ dead space for a few years at the end of the contract. that $6M can be used elsewhere.

my preference in Skinner was 6 years max. I dont like years 7 and 8. Hopefuly under the new CBA if teams get a buy out they can hold it for 3 seasons.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
JT Miller for pick 31
Pick 10 and Jake Virtanen for Rasmus Ristolainen, Conor Sheary and Zemgus Girgensons
Zucker for McCabe
Vesey for Sheary
Kreider for pick 31
Tanev for Bogosian
Easily the best post so far. Actually thinking outside of the box completely shaking up the joke of a roster Buffalo currently has while not touching the few valuable pieces they do have. Well done.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
JT Miller for pick 31
Zucker for McCabe
Vesey for Sheary
Kreider for pick 31
Tanev for Bogosian

These are varying degrees of bad to awful for one side or the other.

Easily the best post so far. Actually thinking outside of the box completely shaking up the joke of a roster Buffalo currently has while not touching the few valuable pieces they do have. Well done.

Really? It sounds like you just want Buffalo to make changes for the sake of change. That's gone really well for them so far (cough forcing ROR out cough).

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Really? It sounds like you just want Buffalo to make changes for the sake of change. That's gone really well for them so far (cough forcing ROR out cough).

Im not saying any of these specifically, but at least he tried, where everyone else in this thread is doing crap proposals or just saying no. The Sabres sucked with Skinner, still are going to suck, but are trying hard enough to not be realistically in the running for a top 4 pick in 2020.

Ill be on Chippewa with the rest of you guys August 8th celebrating Buffalo Sports Mediocrity day. First Labatts is on me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad