Value of: Make a Trade with Buffalo

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would love Laurence Pilut. Maybe for West Seneca native Miles Wood? Big and physical 2nd/3rd line tweener kinda guy who draws a lot of penalties with his speed. Still only 23 years old, coming off a down season where he struggled with some nagging injuries.

Not a bad offer. Would probably decline tho

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
It 100% is an argument. Habs, Hurricanes, Flyers, and Panthers are IMO in those WC fighting spots with the Sens, Sabres, BJ's after they lose everyone, Red Wings, Rangers, and Devils the bottom feeders. The Devils have shown one MVP season can change everything so Eichel going off is the only chance I see the Sabres having.

And my point is the "what if" they dont sign Skinner. Believing is fine, but what if he walks, then what? And that is what the Buffalo fanbase is never ready for and its decision time if so. You can offer $12M per at Panarin, Skinner, and Duchene and they all may still say no because its not a city that players want to play in sadly. Then you do have to depend on prospects and drafting correctly. To do that, you need high picks, so if your team is a bubble team at best, you need to tank for high picks. IMO Buffalo failed the tank before. They got Eichel and thought they were done. They shouldve continued the tank and maybe now have Laine and Heiskanen in their pool now instead of Nylander and Mittlestadt. Obviously the lottery could go any way, but my point is you have NHL ready potential all-stars instead of prospects and that is the difference between top 5 picks and top 10.

Risto IMO shouldnt be traded. He's a whipping boy at times, but still a 100% top 4 dman and top 2 on many teams still. And he has an awesome contract for another 3 years. But if he has to be moved, from an AVS pov, I would do:

Avs draft Turcotte at 4 and Sabres magically get Byram at 7.

Risto
Nylander

for

Kerfoot
Compher
Barberio

If Skinner walks, Botterill will be under some major heat. But we're not going to start a full tank again if he does, nor are we going to throw $12 mil at someone just to try and stay relevant. We have our two cornerstone pieces that you could possibly ever hope for when tanking. We need to build better players around them. We need guys playing 2nd and 3rd line minutes who can actually produce.

We don't have to trade Risto, I agree, but I'm open to moving him because he needs a change of scenery. But it has to be the right move, not for futures, not for cap dumps, players who are around his age (21-25) on good contracts ready to play top 9 F or top 4 D minutes now.

This offer is better than the original of EJ + 47OA for sure, I personally am a fan of both Compher and Kerfoot, but it's not a big enough piece(s) to trade Risto. Maybe if Nylander is taken away or swapped for a lesser prospect, or if Barberio is swapped for someone of more value I'd be close. Don't have much use for him

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
The 7th overall pick is damn near untouchable...there is a MASSIVE drop from 7th to 12th, everyone knows it.

At 7th the Sabres can get one of Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy and Zegras. (Or Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin, but Botterill doesn't draft CHL players and Russians.)

OMG now there's a massive dropoff at #7. Please after #2 the rest is just speculation.

Seems like here everything every team has is just about untouchable. player x, player why and now even the #7 overall pick. oh brother

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
OMG now there's a massive dropoff at #7. Please after #2 the rest is just speculation.

Seems like here everything every team has is just about untouchable. player x, player why and now even the #7 overall pick. oh brother

He didn't say there's a massive drop-off at 7, he said there's a massive drop-off at 12, and he's right.

Sure, after #2 the rest will be up in the air pick by pick as the dominoes fall as far as the order is concerned, but there is definitely a drop-off after about the next 7-9 players that will go after #2.

Turcotte, Byram, Zegras, Cozens, Podkolzin, Caufield, Dach, Boldy, Krebs - pick #12 misses this entire group. So I would have to agree that 7OA is pretty close to untouchable...after Eichel, Dahlin, and Reinhart, it's probably our next most valued asset.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wait, so a team with almost all of its key players under the age of 23 has to sell all those guys off to go draft new guys under the age of 23? Heh. Maybe they should try to, I don't know, improve around those guys with players who can play capable NHL minutes? I know that's hard to imagine with a doofus like Botterill at the helm, but it really is a matter of improving around the likes of Dahlin, Eichel, and Reinhart than it is trading guys like Dahlin, Eichel and Reinhart.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Please stop suggesting deals for our good players. Why not check out our extensive collection of garbage instead?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If the premise of this thread is the proposal of trade(s) between Flames and Sabres that benefit both teams, here's my recommendation:

To Calgary: Okposo, RW, 32, $6M x 4 years remaining (Sabres retain $1M)
To Buffalo: Neal, RW, 32, $5.75M x 4 years remaining + 2019 5th Rd pick (Cgy)

After signing in Buffalo with the thought they were close to being a winner, Okposo would likely waive his M-NTC to join a Cup contender.

Neal didn't find a fit nor mesh with Peters as his coach - one might think that Botterill's familiarity with him in Pittsburgh, along with Neal's proven track record as a finisher with winning team experience, would be more appealing than Okposo.

Neither player is known for their skating - what the Sabres gain is someone with better finishing ability while the Flames gain a power forward with more physicality that the Western conference is known for. In exchange for the Sabres retaining some of Okposo's contract, the Flames add in a draft pick.

This seems like a swap where both teams make the best of a situation of bad contracts they'd otherwise be unable to unload IMO.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If the premise of this thread is the proposal of trade(s) between Flames and Sabres that benefit both teams, here's my recommendation:

To Calgary: Okposo, RW, 32, $6M x 4 years remaining (Sabres retain $1M)
To Buffalo: Neal, RW, 32, $5.75M x 4 years remaining + 2019 5th Rd pick (Cgy)

After signing in Buffalo with the thought they were close to being a winner, Okposo would likely waive his M-NTC to join a Cup contender.

Neal didn't find a fit nor mesh with Peters as his coach - one might think that Botterill's familiarity with him in Pittsburgh, along with Neal's proven track record as a finisher with winning team experience, would be more appealing than Okposo.

Neither player is known for their skating - what the Sabres gain is someone with better finishing ability while the Flames gain a power forward with more physicality that the Western conference is known for. In exchange for the Sabres retaining some of Okposo's contract, the Flames add in a draft pick.

This seems like a swap where both teams make the best of a situation of bad contracts they'd otherwise be unable to unload IMO.

Botterill did not like Neal in Pittsburgh, and he sure as heck isn't going to want him in Buffalo, especially not for (functionally) $6.75M/year. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Chainshot

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
He didn't say there's a massive drop-off at 7, he said there's a massive drop-off at 12, and he's right.

Sure, after #2 the rest will be up in the air pick by pick as the dominoes fall as far as the order is concerned, but there is definitely a drop-off after about the next 7-9 players that will go after #2.

Turcotte, Byram, Zegras, Cozens, Podkolzin, Caufield, Dach, Boldy, Krebs - pick #12 misses this entire group. So I would have to agree that 7OA is pretty close to untouchable...after Eichel, Dahlin, and Reinhart, it's probably our next most valued asset.
Yes massive drop off betwee

Yes a massive drop off between a speculation pick and a different speculation pick. After #2 it’s basically speculation. Therefore if a team offered a young can play now top 2 line player for #7 with term left in the contract, they’d likely consider it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Yes a massive drop off between a speculation pick and a different speculation pick. After #2 it’s basically speculation. Therefore if a team offered a young can play now top 2 line player for #7 with term left in the contract, they’d likely consider it.

For them to consider trading 7 outright the pkayer needs to be 22 or younger. You don’t ploy this on a 37 yr old.

If that was fair value thrn you’d see these trades all the time..but you don’t.

Blo

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

I don't think anyone is running to the phones offering a young, top 2 line player with term for #7... that's the type of player you hope to draft at 7.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
I don't think anyone is running to the phones offering a young, top 2 line player with term for #7... that's the type of player you hope to draft at 7.
just remind me, who was the pick immediately after Jack Eichel? How's that turned out? And he was drafted #3. after the top 2 picks, it's pure speculation. the draft pick is an asset that can use to improve the team. it is not untouchable as was stated by someone.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
To Toronto
Risto

To Buffalo
No leafs fans at home games for three years
A signed framed document stating Eichel is as good as Matthews (he's not)

Mike Babcock

Bozak and a 2nd

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
just remind me, who was the pick immediately after Jack Eichel? How's that turned out? And he was drafted #3. after the top 2 picks, it's pure speculation. the draft pick is an asset that can use to improve the team. it is not untouchable as was stated by someone.

I get what you're going for, but terrible example. This draft may go down as the best in history up there with the 03 draft

McDavid
Eichel
Strome
Marner
Hanifin
Zacha
Provorov
Werenski
Meier
Rantanen

Barzal

Chabot

Boeser

Aho

Eichel is a stud, but you can argue a few of these guys should have went ahead of him at 2 now in hindsight.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

It was Dylan Strome, he had 57 pts as a 21 yr old last season.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
To Toronto
Risto

To Buffalo
No leafs fans at home games for three years
A signed framed document stating Eichel is as good as Matthews (he's not)

Mike Babcock

Bozak and a 2nd
Counter Proposal:

To Buffalo:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:
A bucket of 50 wings from La Nova's, hot bbq, from the pit ( you may not know what that means)
Toronto fans must continue to inject $1000US into the local economy per game, per fan, to local bars, restaurants, hotels and ticket pimps. ( Not including tax and 20% gratuity for service) Yes. Gratuity.
A signed and framed letter from each GM in the league stating that every Leaf player has more HF value than everyone on their team.

Keep Babcock

Kyle Okposo
2nd rounder in 2025

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Counter Proposal:

To Buffalo:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:
A bucket of 50 wings from La Nova's, hot bbq, from the pit ( you may not know what that means)
Toronto fans must continue to inject $1000US into the local economy per game, per fan, to local bars, restaurants, hotels and ticket pimps. ( Not including tax and 20% gratuity for service) Yes. Gratuity.
A signed and framed letter from each GM in the league stating that every Leaf player has more HF value than everyone on their team.

Keep Babcock

Kyle Okposo
2nd rounder in 2025
I'd even add Evander Kane to that.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Counter Proposal:

To Buffalo:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:

Keep Babcock

Kyle Okposo
2nd rounder in 2025

Throw in four buffalo bills superbowl champions hats and shirts that we're made up but never got used and I'd think about it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Counter Proposal:

To Buffalo:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:

Keep Babcock

Kyle Okposo
2nd rounder in 2025

Part of your post seems like a bigger fantasy than the rest. I have indicated what I believe to be the largest dream in your post: Seriously man, expecting fans from Toronto to tip? Really? What kind of a fantasy is this!?!

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad