Value of: Make a Trade with Buffalo

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Getting closer and closer to draft day.

:sabres

Make a trade with your favorite team with this team that MAKES SENSE FOR BOTH SIDES. It can be 1 for 1, taking on a bad contract, flipping 7th rounders, whatever you deem is necessary to not only make your team better but the other one too. If it's a rebuilding/retooling side they obviously want something for the future.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Scandella for Weise

Buffalo fans seemed really unhappy with him. Gets his 4M off the books and if your bury Weise he only counts at just over 1M for one more year. Willing to throw in a mid pick or a depth body to make it work. I see you guys only have 7 forwards under contract while we will have 16 once Armia and Lehk are re-signed. We could throw in a Peca or Hudon if you want someone who won't embarrass them self (but won't do much more than that).

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm guessing the 1st swap will cause this to get eviscerated, but I'll throw it out anyway:

To Buffalo:
Jason Zucker ($5.5m)
#12 OA

To Minnesota:
Alex Nylander ($1.7m)
#7 OA
Marco Scandella ($4.0m)

Buffalo upgrades at wing without adding any cap, shedding a bad contract in the process. The price is trading back 5 spots.

Minnesota swaps a LW for a RW, which seems to be their goal with a Zucker trade. Scandella's not the same player he was when he left Minnesota, but our defense is reliable enough to shelter him if needed. Going from #12 to #7 gives us a better shot at the center we probably need.

Why would they not do it?

Buffalo will want to extend Skinner and adding another sort of LW overloads them there and may block out a guy like Olofsson. Plus trading back may not be appetizing if they feel there's a significant drop between 7 and 12.

Minnesota takes on a lot of risk by essentially slotting Nylander into the top-9 next year, the difference between #7 and #12 in this draft may not prove to be worth it, and we're already awash in 3rd pairing LD.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I'm guessing the 1st swap will cause this to get eviscerated, but I'll throw it out anyway:

To Buffalo:
Jason Zucker ($5.5m)
#12 OA

To Minnesota:
Alex Nylander ($1.7m)
#7 OA
Marco Scandella ($4.0m)

Buffalo upgrades at wing without adding any cap, shedding a bad contract in the process. The price is trading back 5 spots.

Minnesota swaps a LW for a RW, which seems to be their goal with a Zucker trade. Scandella's not the same player he was when he left Minnesota, but our defense is reliable enough to shelter him if needed. Going from #12 to #7 gives us a better shot at the center we probably need.

Buffalo will want to extend Skinner and adding another sort of LW overloads them there and may block out a guy like Olofsson. Plus trading back may not be appetizing if they feel there's a significant drop between 7 and 12.

Minnesota takes on a lot of risk by essentially slotting Nylander into the top-9 next year, the difference between #7 and #12 in this draft may not prove to be worth it, and we're already awash in 3rd pairing LD.
The 7th overall pick is damn near untouchable...there is a MASSIVE drop from 7th to 12th, everyone knows it.

At 7th the Sabres can get one of Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy and Zegras. (Or Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin, but Botterill doesn't draft CHL players and Russians.)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The 7th overall pick is damn near untouchable...there is a MASSIVE drop from 7th to 12th, everyone knows it.

At 7th the Sabres can get one of Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy and Zegras. (Or Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin, but Botterill doesn't draft CHL players and Russians.)
That's 7 names and we're talking about a 5 spot drop. Depending on Buffalo's draft board does it seem that outlandish that they wouldn't consider dropping to 12 inconceivable?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Looking at CapFriendly, Buffalo has a ton of cap space even if they sign Skinner and McCabe to extensions.

Would they consider taking a 2 year cap dump to move up in the draft?

For example, let’s say Buffalo really likes a prospect at pick 21 and know he won’t make it to pick 30 (the Blues 1st).

Would they take pick 21 and Gudbranson (4m for 2 years) for pick 30? They have an absurd amount of cap space and 4m for 2 years isn’t that crazy.

Pitt could stay in the 1st round and shed 4m I think that’s worth moving down 9 spots for us.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

To Buffalo:
Jason Zucker ($5.5m)
#12 OA

To Minnesota:
Alex Nylander ($1.7m)
#7 OA
Marco Scandella ($4.0m)

Strip out the 7 and 12 stuff, Zucker for Nylander and Scandella?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at CapFriendly, Buffalo has a ton of cap space even if they sign Skinner and McCabe to extensions.

Would they consider taking a 2 year cap dump to move up in the draft?

For example, let’s say Buffalo really likes a prospect at pick 21 and know he won’t make it to pick 30 (the Blues 1st).

Would they take pick 21 and Gudbranson (4m for 2 years) for pick 30? They have an absurd amount of cap space and 4m for 2 years isn’t that crazy.

Pitt could stay in the 1st round and shed 4m I think that’s worth moving down 9 spots for us.

I would prefer they stay the f*** away from doing the Pens any more cap favors. We still have to wash the taste of rancid Hunwick out of our mouths after that last deal.

As for space next year, it'll be Montour's and Reinhart's next contracts with holes opening up on the blueline that aren't filled yet. BadBranson and his deal clutter that up too much for my liking, even if picking around 21 would be a tastier morsel than 30 or 31.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Strip out the 7 and 12 stuff, Zucker for Nylander and Scandella?
Scandella's just in there to make it easier cap-wise on Buffalo. If switching it to Sobotka makes a difference I guess that's an option, but either one is a negative to the Wild.

Zucker for Nylander would need a substantial plus of some kind, and Buffalo's other 1st is so late at this point that it's not all that appealing. The 1st swap seemed like a reasonable compromise, but maybe not. If that's a deal breaker then it is what it is.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep, he was off all year long for some reason.
I wonder if Chuck Fletcher would take a chance on him given he knows him well.

Scandella for Hagg? Saves the Sabres almost 3 million and Hagg is a RFA next summer so you can decide to re-sign him/trade him at that point.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Callahan, Killorn, Tyler Johnson and TB 1st for Sobotka, E-Rod and Nylander.

TB sheds a ton cap that they desperately need to remove, get a skilled yet unproven winger on an ELC, a solid cheap bottom 6 fwd in E-Rod and sobotka with only 1 yr left at 3.5 as a depth piece.

Buffalo takes on a lot of cap. But they fill major needs depth wise up front, gain a lot of veteran leadership, gain a top 6 piece to complement eichel in Tyler Johnson and another lottery ticket with the TB 1st.

Buffalo has a TON of cap room....and I’d completely understand not making this type of deal due to the financial reasons.

But in terms of value the Sabre’s get a hell of a lot better and TB does what they have to do to keep all their long term core guys signed.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Buffalo is one the places I could see Quick ending up. Goalie values are hard enough to gauge let alone one that had such a disappointing season last year but with as good of a pedigree.

Seems like a conditional pick with several conditions on it to me

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Scandella's just in there to make it easier cap-wise on Buffalo. If switching it to Sobotka makes a difference I guess that's an option, but either one is a negative to the Wild.

Zucker for Nylander would need a substantial plus of some kind, and Buffalo's other 1st is so late at this point that it's not all that appealing. The 1st swap seemed like a reasonable compromise, but maybe not. If that's a deal breaker then it is what it is.

Yeah, we've bantered about that one a few times. It might work value-wise, not sure if it works in practicality though.

Would Scandella back for the renovated Foligno work for the Wild?

Reactions: DJN21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo is one the places I could see Quick ending up. Goalie values are hard enough to gauge let alone one that had such a disappointing season last year but with as good of a pedigree.

Seems like a conditional pick with several conditions on it to me

Well, if you want conditions... Buffalo has had two straight GM's who love themselves conditions on draft picks. Giving them, taking them... constantly.

But for a 33-year old goalie making $5.8 million for the next four years? That's a pretty hard gamble to assign any conditions to honestly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well, if you want conditions... Buffalo has had two straight GM's who love themselves conditions on draft picks. Giving them, taking them... constantly.

But for a 33-year old goalie making $5.8 million for the next four years? That's a pretty hard gamble to assign any conditions to honestly.
Wouldn't that be the point of the conditions? To protect Buffalo in case Quick does not bounce back

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I would prefer they stay the **** away from doing the Pens any more cap favors. We still have to wash the taste of rancid Hunwick out of our mouths after that last deal.

As for space next year, it'll be Montour's and Reinhart's next contracts with holes opening up on the blueline that aren't filled yet. BadBranson and his deal clutter that up too much for my liking, even if picking around 21 would be a tastier morsel than 30 or 31.
How much do you see those guys making? Reinhart doesn’t strike me as guy that will cost more than 6.5 or 7m unless he has an amazing season next year. Montour maybe 5.5ish.

Even with Gud I think you’d still plenty of space to make those contracts.

Also what if Pitt retains 1m, so Gud at 3m?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad