Value of: Make a Trade with Buffalo

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
You really believe this team will fight for the playoffs? Zero chance you get by the Lightning, Leafs, or Bruins anytime soon so realistically you're fighting for 2 WC spots every season with 9 other teams.

Assuming Skinner leaves without signing Panarin, Pavelski, or Duchene, you take a step back no matter what you do in FA. So you guys are gambling the next few years on signing Skinner?! Sounds smart...

The prospect pool is pretty bleak compared to most teams. You dont have a holy crap player coming down the pipeline you're hoping to sow up the depth on O or D. I just dont see a way this team gets over the hump without another real rebuild and not a "Buffalo rebuild" where you stay middle of the pack 8-8 Bills style like they're currently doing. Trade everything but Eichel/Dahlin and rack up 2 seasons worth of top 5 picks while trading for more.

It's like you guys are hoping for that franchise player to pop up outside of the top 10 of the draft. While possible, the Sabres management has shown they have zero clue how to draft. Ryan Miller in 1999 was the last really franchise changing player they Sabres have drafted outside of round 1.

To be fair most teams are way behind TB, BOS, & TOR (1st, T-2nd, T-6th in final NHL standings respectively) so that's not really a great argument.
Many around here still believe Skinner will sign and that Botterill + his agent are both just playing hardball, which is fine, it's a business. If he's not signed by the draft, then we will start to wonder. But after how badly Botterill botched the ROR trade, he knows he can't let Skinner walk for nothing, and Skinner's camp knows that too. He could've traded him at the deadline for a great package - we were out of the playoff hunt by then - but he didn't.

So what is Colorado's best offer for Ristolainen + Nylander? Johnson + 47OA (previous post) is a terrible offer. I'm just not sure I see the two as good trade partners is all. BUF is not as interested in futures as they are top young players ready to play big roles now, or ready to break out if they haven't been given the opportunity yet.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I would love Laurence Pilut. Maybe for West Seneca native Miles Wood? Big and physical 2nd/3rd line tweener kinda guy who draws a lot of penalties with his speed. Still only 23 years old, coming off a down season where he struggled with some nagging injuries.

As the above poster stated, Buffalo could use some of the piss and vinegar that Wood brings, but Pilut looks to be a good piece on our blueline. I'd pass on this deal.

Plus, Pilut just had offseason surgery and won't be ready for the season, so I doubt he gets traded given that fact.

Reactions: Chainshot

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Been beating a dead horse on this but I don't see how Callahan + top prospect (Forward) from TB to BUF for a draft pick (3rd/4th?) is not a win/win for both sides.

TB solves their cap problem by losing Callahan, and they do it at no expense to their current roster.

BUF takes Callahan for his final year (we can afford it, even if we sign Skinner, and he's still better than a few guys in our current bottom-6) and picks up a great young player who can compete for a roster spot immediately, and will be part of the long-term plan

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Been beating a dead horse on this but I don't see how Callahan + top prospect (Forward) from TB to BUF for a draft pick (3rd/4th?) is not a win/win for both sides.

TB solves their cap problem by losing Callahan, and they do it at no expense to their current roster.

BUF takes Callahan for his final year (we can afford it, even if we sign Skinner, and he's still better than a few guys in our current bottom-6) and picks up a great young player who can compete for a roster spot immediately, and will be part of the long-term plan

I’m not helping Tampa out of their problems unless I am getting a very good prospect or on ELC next season.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I’m not helping Tampa out of their problems unless I am getting a very good prospect or on ELC next season.

That would be the idea... needs to be one of their best. I'm not going to pretend to know every in and out of TB prospect pool, but it looks quite stocked. It's not going to be Cirelli (not really a prospect anymore in my eyes anyways) or Foote, but whoever is #3 or 4 on that overall list, that guy.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Botterill stated at the trade deadline that he had some trade discussions that might come together this offseason. Sabres scouted Vegas pretty hard ahead of the deadline so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a larger trade including pieces like Miller, Haula and Eakin. Tampa was the other rumoured team of course so we would want something around Cirelli or Foote plus a dump. Sabres have the cap space and need to treat it like gold.

I can see a deal for Miller. Eakin and Haila as 1 yr ELCs aren’t the focus.

I can see Miller and Eakin/Haula for something cheap to vegas in terms of salary.

I’d think Vegas would want cheap D back. Buffalo doesn’t have that that i see being traded.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would love Laurence Pilut. Maybe for West Seneca native Miles Wood? Big and physical 2nd/3rd line tweener kinda guy who draws a lot of penalties with his speed. Still only 23 years old, coming off a down season where he struggled with some nagging injuries.

The price on Pilut starts with your first round pick in the teens.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

He literally said "a top forward prospect." Most prospects are on their ELC's, and Tampa has a bunch in the AHL (Raddysh, Barre-Boulet, Volkov, et al.).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He literally said "a top forward prospect." Most prospects are on their ELC's, and Tampa has a bunch in the AHL (Raddysh, Barre-Boulet, Volkov, et al.).

I’m referring to someone who will be a very good player..not someone who might be a dime a dozen young player and—ideally he would be exempt from the ED or be someone you would protect.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I am not high on either Killorn nor Miller. I think in 2 yrs thry will be viewed as dead weight like Okposo is now. Combine them with Okposis you are looking at about $17M.

Buffalo could still sign Skinner.that will be a high contract.

This summer after signing RFAs buffalo will have about $16M in cap space with likely 2 forward spots open. With one for a Skinner signing.

Here's your first problem. You're assuming an otherwise static roster. First, not all of the RFA skaters (Girgs, Larsson, ERod, McCabe) are going to be back - I'd bet that not more than two of those players will be on Buffalo's opening night roster. Second, you're assuming we don't make a move with Ristolainen or anyone else (Sheary? Scandella?) this offseason, or send guys like Wilson and/or Hunwick to Rochester to open up more space.

The bottom line is you're operating from the faulty assumption that making this deal with Tampa is all that Buffalo would do this summer. That's not a good assumption.

In 2020 the money coming off on D would go to resigning RFA Dmen and saving space for Dahlin. The forward cap coming off would go to Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittlestadt. I could see a Mitts getting a 2-3 yr bridge

My big concern in having that dead weights hurts buffalo in 2 years when players like Mitykestsdt and others could be asking for high contracts.

I do see an increase in offer sheet signings for players costing a 2nd or 3rd only.

Translation: Let's stick with largely the same shit roster (and waste Dahlin's ELC), because OMG we're going to have to pay Dahlin and some other above-average players in a couple years. Sorry, hard pass. And FFS, stop worrying about Mittelstadt's second contract. It'll be a bridge for less than Reinhart's bridge (3.65).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I’m referring to someone who will be a very good player..not someone who might be a dime a dozen young player and—ideally he would be exempt from the ED or be someone you would protect.

How far below "preparing for expansion drafts" and "not having future cap headaches" do you prioritize "actually ****ing winning sometime this century?" Is it "way below" or "just a little bit below"? Are you aware that they don't hand out banners or trophies for being the most prepared for the expansion draft, or "not having to worry about the cap even though your team sucks"?

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You really believe this team will fight for the playoffs? Zero chance you get by the Lightning, Leafs, or Bruins anytime soon so realistically you're fighting for 2 WC spots every season with 9 other teams.

Assuming Skinner leaves without signing Panarin, Pavelski, or Duchene, you take a step back no matter what you do in FA. So you guys are gambling the next few years on signing Skinner?! Sounds smart...

The prospect pool is pretty bleak compared to most teams. You dont have a holy crap player coming down the pipeline you're hoping to sow up the depth on O or D. I just dont see a way this team gets over the hump without another real rebuild and not a "Buffalo rebuild" where you stay middle of the pack 8-8 Bills style like they're currently doing. Trade everything but Eichel/Dahlin and rack up 2 seasons worth of top 5 picks while trading for more.

It's like you guys are hoping for that franchise player to pop up outside of the top 10 of the draft. While possible, the Sabres management has shown they have zero clue how to draft. Ryan Miller in 1999 was the last really franchise changing player they Sabres have drafted outside of round 1.
I really think that we can fight for the playoffs, of course, if the team becomes stronger. Makes no sense again to do the tank, I we have a good young core, we just need to write 3-4 decent players. We have a dozen good prospects, some of them in the next season will be able to show themselves in the NHL, some later, it makes no sense to exchange young leaders for futures, it's stupid.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd think long and hard about the proposed Miles wood for pilut trade. Then again Im a bigger McCabe and Samulesson believer than most....

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Larsson for Risto. 1 for 1

Hard no. Larsson is at least as one-dimensional as Risto (I'd argue even more so, because there's really 0 chance he ever does anything for anyone on offense), except Risto actually consistently brings his dimension to his team.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
To be fair most teams are way behind TB, BOS, & TOR (1st, T-2nd, T-6th in final NHL standings respectively) so that's not really a great argument.
Many around here still believe Skinner will sign and that Botterill + his agent are both just playing hardball, which is fine, it's a business. If he's not signed by the draft, then we will start to wonder. But after how badly Botterill botched the ROR trade, he knows he can't let Skinner walk for nothing, and Skinner's camp knows that too. He could've traded him at the deadline for a great package - we were out of the playoff hunt by then - but he didn't.

So what is Colorado's best offer for Ristolainen + Nylander? Johnson + 47OA (previous post) is a terrible offer. I'm just not sure I see the two as good trade partners is all. BUF is not as interested in futures as they are top young players ready to play big roles now, or ready to break out if they haven't been given the opportunity yet.

It 100% is an argument. Habs, Hurricanes, Flyers, and Panthers are IMO in those WC fighting spots with the Sens, Sabres, BJ's after they lose everyone, Red Wings, Rangers, and Devils the bottom feeders. The Devils have shown one MVP season can change everything so Eichel going off is the only chance I see the Sabres having.

And my point is the "what if" they dont sign Skinner. Believing is fine, but what if he walks, then what? And that is what the Buffalo fanbase is never ready for and its decision time if so. You can offer $12M per at Panarin, Skinner, and Duchene and they all may still say no because its not a city that players want to play in sadly. Then you do have to depend on prospects and drafting correctly. To do that, you need high picks, so if your team is a bubble team at best, you need to tank for high picks. IMO Buffalo failed the tank before. They got Eichel and thought they were done. They shouldve continued the tank and maybe now have Laine and Heiskanen in their pool now instead of Nylander and Mittlestadt. Obviously the lottery could go any way, but my point is you have NHL ready potential all-stars instead of prospects and that is the difference between top 5 picks and top 10.

Risto IMO shouldnt be traded. He's a whipping boy at times, but still a 100% top 4 dman and top 2 on many teams still. And he has an awesome contract for another 3 years. But if he has to be moved, from an AVS pov, I would do:

Avs draft Turcotte at 4 and Sabres magically get Byram at 7.

Risto
Nylander

for

Kerfoot
Compher
Barberio

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It 100% is an argument. Habs, Hurricanes, Flyers, and Panthers are IMO in those WC fighting spots with the Sens, Sabres, BJ's after they lose everyone, Red Wings, Rangers, and Devils the bottom feeders. The Devils have shown one MVP season can change everything so Eichel going off is the only chance I see the Sabres having.

And my point is the "what if" they dont sign Skinner. Believing is fine, but what if he walks, then what? And that is what the Buffalo fanbase is never ready for and its decision time if so. You can offer $12M per at Panarin, Skinner, and Duchene and they all may still say no because its not a city that players want to play in sadly. Then you do have to depend on prospects and drafting correctly. To do that, you need high picks, so if your team is a bubble team at best, you need to tank for high picks. IMO Buffalo failed the tank before. They got Eichel and thought they were done. They shouldve continued the tank and maybe now have Laine and Heiskanen in their pool now instead of Nylander and Mittlestadt. Obviously the lottery could go any way, but my point is you have NHL ready potential all-stars instead of prospects and that is the difference between top 5 picks and top 10.

Risto IMO shouldnt be traded. He's a whipping boy at times, but still a 100% top 4 dman and top 2 on many teams still. And he has an awesome contract for another 3 years. But if he has to be moved, from an AVS pov, I would do:

Avs draft Turcotte at 4 and Sabres magically get Byram at 7.

Risto
Nylander

for

Kerfoot
Compher
Barberio

That's still terrible value for the "top 2" defenseman that you just proclaimed.

Can the Sabres have Barrie for that ridiculous price?

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Doesn’t a rebuild imply tearing down a team whose window has closed and shipping away its key parts for futures?

Eichel is 22. Reinhart 23. Ristolainen and Montour are 24. Thompson and Nylander 21. Mittelstadt is 20. Dahlin 19. Those are the Sabres key parts.

Are you suggesting the window for these guys has closed and they start selling them off for futures?

Wouldn’t that be kinda like the Avs giving up on MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Barrie Johnson, Compher and Jost as their core in 2017 after finishing dead last?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

In what world are the Sabres missing a franchise player? Eichel and Dahlin are franchise players. And what do you mean outside of the top 10? The Sabres have mittelstadt and a top 10 pick this year that could develop into great pieces. We don’t need to rebuild to acquire elite talent...the problem with the Sabres is what comes after having franchise players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00