Makar vs Josi

Who’s better?

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Who’s better?

Makar 20gp 19 pts
Josi 27gp 19 pts
Points aren’t everything but Makar is almost point per game player since entering the league as a defensman and Josi is no slouch.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Colorado GF 111
Nashville GF 86
Makar has been in on 17% of Colorado’s Offense
Josi has been in on 22% of Nashville’s offense

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It is really hard to compare a 22 year old to a 30 year old.

If I want to win the cup this season, I take Josi. If I'm building for the next 10 years, I take Makar.
If trajectory means anything I can’t fathom how good Makar going to be when he’s 30 years old

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It is really hard to compare a 22 year old to a 30 year old.

If I want to win the cup this season, I take Josi. If I'm building for the next 10 years, I take Makar.
To be fair the avs are going to be probably competing for a cup this year and I don’t think they give up Makar for Josi for a playoff run

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's funny because I think these guys are in a similar mold - in that I don't think they're two-way defensemen in the traditional sense, but get solid results by virtue of their mobility and puck possession. I always wonder what type of legs these type of Dmen have in the playoffs versus a traditional two-way guy, but they certainly can rack up some regular season success.

With that being said - age or the new hotness? One of the big questions with Makar is durability and the ability to play 82 + playoffs. That's just not something he has had to do in his career yet. Josi has, and looked pretty good in the one deep run the Preds made.

I'm kind of on a flip a coin mindset here. I initially voted Makar but I think I'm talking myself into Josi if I'm adding them for a run this season. It's close, but while Makar is impressive, he's got a very solid supporting cast around him, and I don't know how Josi would look with a good forward group in front of him.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar is the complete package. Solid defense, physical, outstanding skater and pretty much a PPG player at this point.

Hard to believe this is his second full season in the league. Makar could still improve.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Colorado GF 111
Nashville GF 86
Makar has been in on 17% of Colorado’s Offense
Josi has been in on 22% of Nashville’s offense
So Avs didn't score the 11 games Makar has missed?
*Nashville has 83 unless it hasn't been updated - And Nashville didn't score in the games Josi missed?

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Josi has the veteran presence and experience and I promise you he would look amazing on the Avs just like Makar does. Makar however, has that dynamic element to his game that Josi simply can't match. Going forward I assume most people will take the game breaking player in his second season but as for who is better right now it's hard to vote against the reigning Norris trophy winner.

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
Just getting a gauge on 2nd best d man in the league

Neither one is the 2nd best dman, especially this year.

Avs fans need to patient with all the Makar is the greatest stuff. His time will come but it's not now. He still has flaws in his game. And it was interesting how Colorado didn't struggle at all in his absence.

He has elite talent though and will be contending with a few of the other young dmen for years to come for the Norris.

Now if Avs fans want to pump Mackinnon's tyres, than I am all for that. He's actually been really underrated this year.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Well I know which team I would rather be playing for.

Isn’t Girard supposed to be better than Makar right now?

You guys can’t get your stories straight.
I personally think Makar is a nice bit better overall and a game breaker. Girard has the slight edge on the defensive side of the puck but there is no way anyone chooses Girard over Makar imo. Makar is pretty much Mackinnon on the back end.

Reactions: majormajor

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So Avs didn't score the 11 games Makar has missed?
*Nashville has 83 unless it hasn't been updated - And Nashville didn't score in the games Josi missed?
Your kidding yourself if you think the avs are the same with or without Makar. Makar is a game changer and are on another level when Makar is in the lineup.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Avs fans need to patient with all the Makar is the greatest stuff. His time will come but it's not now. He still has flaws in his game. And it was interesting how Colorado didn't struggle at all in his absence.
Out of curiosity, what flaws does Makar have in his game?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Neither one is the 2nd best dman, especially this year.

He has elite talent though and will be contending with a few of the other young dmen for years to come for the Norris.

Now if Avs fans want to pump Mackinnon's tyres, than I am all for that. He's actually been really underrated this year.
Outside of the 11 games that he missed due to injury he was in the conversation for Norris before he got hurt and since he came back he’s still at that level aside from 1 game but every d man has a bad game from time to time

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Your kidding yourself if you think the avs are the same with or without Makar. Makar is a game changer and are on another level when Makar is in the lineup.
That's your take on what I said? Not the ridiculously wrong information that was presented? Such as Makar's 19 points on 111 of the goals scored when the number is much less than 111 goals?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
That's your take on what I said? Not the ridiculously wrong information that was presented? Such as Makar's 19 points on 111 of the goals scored when the number is much less than 111 goals?
It is what it is, it’s not Makars fault that the avs have 3 other guys that can play on any other team in the leagues top 2. They have to spread ice time around and if Makar didn’t miss 11 games he would more than likely have close to 30 points

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gonna go Makar but I'm sure Josi would put up similar numbers in Colorado

Makar, as someone mentioned, is like MacKinnon on the backend though. I'd pick him simply cause he's more fun to watch tbh

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It is what it is, it’s not Makars fault that the avs have 3 other guys that can play on any other team in the leagues top 2. They have to spread ice time around and if Makar didn’t miss 11 games he would more than likely have close to 30 points

I think you're misinterpreting what the poster is saying. The issue is that not factoring in Makar's missed time when using Colorado's goals for makes it look like he's less involved in the team's offense than he actually is. Same for Josi.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
EDIT - ^ what the poster above me said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad