Prospect Info: Makar vs Byram

Byram vs Makar

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It’s awesome that these two fine prospects are all ours? I know some day very soon these two are going to compliment each other probably on our top pairing or they may spread it out and share the wealth and be like a 1a - 1b line. Who is the better prospect right now and who projects to be better over their careers?

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Proven product over prospect of similar potential (if not in the same places)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, and I'm asking why he thinks that.

Shock and awe. Done?

I mean I get it, both are more cerebral, smooth skating Dmen. At least that was the way he was talked about when he was drafted. I remember Niedermayer stylistic comparisons for Murray during his draft too.

Reactions: cgf

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Again, what? Where is this coming from?
I’m just trying to get a gauge on him. Makar is the most dynamic d man I’ve ever seen and I’m just trying to see how Byram stacks up and what he’s projecting to be once he steps in the nhl

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I’m just trying to get a gauge on him. Makar is the most dynamic d man I’ve ever seen and I’m just trying to see how Byram stacks up and what he’s projecting to be once he steps in the nhl
So its based on the poll, or an opinion you got otherwise? That's what I am confused on. Because the poll will always go to Makar since he'd already shown himself doing a lot of growing into his potential. You probably won't get a proper comparison for a couple years, at least. For now its more a matter of Byram being more defensively orientated than Makar is, but both project to be excellent on both sides.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hmm.. Interesting question. Can I reserve judgment until midway through next season haha?

I'll say as prospects coming out of the draft, I liked Byram more. After watching Makar in the playoffs though, it seems like his potential is limitless.

I think they're slightly different players. I feel like Byram can run a power play better, while Makar has the explosiveness to his game that is really unmatched by a defenceman. They both have excellent vision, Byram probably has a better shot. Skating edge goes to Makar, because as I've said before, I see him as a generational skater for a defenceman.

Defensively, Makar might have the edge right now, because he's had two years of development. But, coming out of junior Byram was more advanced in that regard.

I lean to Makar maybe projecting better, but it's really close for me. Pumped we have both!

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So its based on the poll, or an opinion you got otherwise? That's what I am confused on. Because the poll will always go to Makar since he'd already shown himself doing a lot of growing into his potential. You probably won't get a proper comparison for a couple years, at least. For now its more a matter of Byram being more defensively orientated than Makar is, but both project to be excellent on both sides.
Yeah I did the poll to see where people think he is compared to Makar. But if he ends up being a Neidermayer level player , he should be a top d man in the league. Of course Makar could be that himself.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar. Byram is much more NHL-ready than Cale was as a prospect, but the skating, skill & creative advantage he had was just too much to take the quicker-ROI of Byram. But I know not everyone was as high on Makar as I was, or as low on Byram's realistic upside.

Byram has the better shot? Da fuq?

Reactions: Foxtail

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hmm.. Interesting question. Can I reserve judgment until midway through next season haha?

I'll say as prospects coming out of the draft, I liked Byram more. After watching Makar in the playoffs though, it seems like his potential is limitless.

I think they're slightly different players. I feel like Byram can run a power play better, while Makar has the explosiveness to his game that is really unmatched by a defenceman. They both have excellent vision, Byram probably has a better shot. Skating edge goes to Makar, because as I've said before, I see him as a generational skater for a defenceman.

Defensively, Makar might have the edge right now, because he's had two years of development. But, coming out of junior Byram was more advanced in that regard.

I lean to Makar maybe projecting better, but it's really close for me. Pumped we have both!
Excellent post, pretty much what I was looking for.The avs are in top shape going forward. Thanks

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I chose makar because I have him in my fantasy league. That being said I watched byram live multiple time in the whl this season and if I wasn't being biased I would choose him. If timmins can get over his injury woes your young defense is going to be filthy disgusting ridiculous ugly spit shock cuss word fantastic.

Makar Byram
Girard Timmins
Zaddie Barrie

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I remember when Makar was drafted people were saying he'd be a superstar if he put up that kind of numbers in the CHL instead of the AJHL.

Well...

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Shouldnt be the topic title be Makar & Byram and the poll about how much of a dominating pairing they could be? Lol

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm pretty confident that Byram will end up being the complementary player on that pairing, but I think the lack of overlap in their playing styles will make for a very effective top pairing for years to come, similar to Jones and Werenski in Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad