Prospect Info: Makar vs Byram

Byram vs Makar

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It doesn't worth anything because of how Makar turned out to be, but Byram is a better prospect than Makar was at the same age and it's not that close.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
It doesn't worth anything because of how Makar turned out to be, but Byram is a better prospect than Makar was at the same age and it's not that close.

Byram seems to be bigger monster. If he has nothing else to accomplish in the junior leagues, he might just be ready to play for the Avs next season. We will find out during training camp.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I just listened to Joe's conference call. Yesterday, it was laggy. He made an interesting comment that it's all about puck movement now and that size doesn't matter. I may have to take back my comment about Byram needing to add muscle in order to stay with the big club.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
For some people it was exactly the opposite :dunno:

Perhaps, but don't let your personal opinion get in the way.

Byram has been ranked in the top 5 for a long time by almost all the experts in a strong draft while Makar was all over the place (despite a huge push at the end) in what was perceived as a very weak draft. Had they went head-to-head it wouldn't have been close.

Byram would more than likely have went 1st in the 2017 draft, he was way more impressive this year and was more hyped than Patrick and Hischier were back then.

Hischier and Patrick were the clear cut top 2 in a draft "very weak at the top".

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I voted for Makar, only because of the hype I am hearing about him. However, I am a Vancouver Canucks fan and followed the Vancouver Giants and especially Byram in the last year. I became a huge fan of his and hoped that somehow the Canucks might get him. Knowing that that as very unlikely. All I can say, is if Makar is better than Byram, you guys got yourselves two really good players and the fact you guys are debating this issue, shows how lucky you really are. By the way, Joe Sakic was my all time favourite player and that makes me want to make Colorado a favourite team. Second favourite, of course. Right behind Vancouver. ;)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Byram has been ranked in the top 5 for a long time by almost all the experts in a strong draft while Makar was all over the place (despite a huge push at the end) in what was perceived as a very weak draft. Had they went head-to-head it wouldn't have been close.

Byram would more than likely have went 1st in the 2017 draft, he was way more impressive this year and was more hyped than Patrick and Hischier were back then.

Hischier and Patrick were the clear cut top 2 in a draft "very weak at the top".

Why the hell not? The experts also told me that Strome would be better than Marner & Mikko, or that Bennett & Reinhart would be better than Drae. And the experts said that Makar was a huge gamble while hyping Hanifin even harder than I did.

Byram is bigger & much more NHL-ready, but he also doesn't have as much talent or as high a ceiling :dunno:

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I agree with you about Byram.

He completed a fantastic year dominating the playoffs and sensational regular season with some solid Defence. Choosing between the players, I would have taken Byram over Makar. This is not to downplay Makar as his play in the lower AJHL hurt his ranking, but that draft Byram might be the top pick.

This is the same between comparing Turcotte vs Newhook. Very similar players, but playing in the lower level league the safer choice is Turcotte.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m adding Girard here because I can. All three have the intelligence, vision, hockey IQ, passing ability, excellent skating and can defend.

Byram is smooth and cool, there is so much fluidity to what he does.

Makar is explosive, aggressive and a very direct player.

Girard is finesse and creative.

We are so lucky to have all three.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Why the hell not? The experts also told me that Strome would be better than Marner & Mikko, or that Bennett & Reinhart would be better than Drae. And the experts said that Makar was a huge gamble while hyping Hanifin even harder than I did.

Byram is bigger & much more NHL-ready, but he also doesn't have as much talent or as high a ceiling :dunno:

Sorry but the first bolded already negates the second. Bigger = more talent dumb dumb. :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, I see both Makar and Byram having the tools to compete as #1 dmen in this league but just in a different manner. I see Byram as a much more all around player compared to Makar who will always have the more offensive skill set IMO. I think a pairing of Byram-Makar has the potential to being one of the very best in the league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry but the first bolded already negates the second. Bigger = more talent dumb dumb. :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, I see both Makar and Byram having the tools to compete as #1 dmen in this league but just in a different manner. I see Byram as a much more all around player compared to Makar who will always have the more offensive skill set IMO. I think a pairing of Byram-Makar has the potential to being one of the very best in the league.

I totally get people who feel that way. I'm just talking about my pov, not some sort of universal truth that can not be denied. I loved Makar's talent & his attitude convinced me that he'd make the progress needed to get to the end of his longer development arc...aka my Pod-defense lol...

Whereas I'm a little anxious about Byram burning me the way Hanifin did back when he was tearing the NCAA up in his draft year.

Either way they should complement each other spectacularly, even if it becomes more Keith-Seabrook than Bourque-Blake

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Man they both must be chomping at the bit to play together for potentially a decade! If Timmins can recover our top 4 d-core will be insanely talented.

Reactions: missionAvs

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Both players approach the game differently.

Byram is more well rounded and produces offensively when the opportunity becomes available. Makar with elite skating is more aggressive on the attack.

They complement each other and depends on the manner you measure their upside. 2-way game vs scoring. Makar at the moment seems to be the better player, but when drafted Byram had the better junior career.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Both players approach the game differently.

Byram is more well rounded and produces offensively when the opportunity becomes available. Makar with elite skating is more aggressive on the attack.

They complement each other and depends on the manner you measure their upside. 2-way game vs scoring. Makar at the moment seems to be the better player, but when drafted Byram had the better junior career.

I agree with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->