Proposal: Makar + Byram for Seth Jones + Werenski

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
What does Pietrangelo have to do with this?
I think Makar is on his way to being better than Pietrangelo but isn't... doesn't mean I'd trade him for Pietrangelo nor would Colorado, nor would most people that watch hockey

I think the argument could be made that Makar is already so far ahead of Pietrangelo in his offensive skills and at driving scoring that it balances out some of the areas that Pietrangelo still does better than Makar, where you could say Makar is the better player right now.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Jones becomes a UFA after one year, and Werenski after two years. This is terrible for Colorado from a team control perspective. Sure, Colroado could extend them, but would have to do so at the going rate for UFAs.

(Werenski already has five years of service, having played a full rookie season at 18. He's on track to be a UFA in July 2023. It's age 27 OR seven years of service, whichever comes first.)

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If they offered Bryam for Jones with 1 year remaining and wanting to test UFA Columbus should jump on that.

Add Makar to get a couple years of Werenski is the type of move that gets a GM fired.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Hahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

wouldn’t trade makar for both

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Werenski want to remain close to Detroit, Noway is he going to sign long term with Colorado. Werenski and Jones will get as much as Makar possibly the same and with new deals for Landeskog and MacKinnon good luck with that.
You know Werenski is in Columbus right?

You should wait until he even makes it to Detroit before saying no on Werenski’s behalf.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

You should wait until he even makes it to Detroit before saying to on Werenski’s behalf.

His take on this is hardly an outlier. Many rumours around this. Reminds me of the Trouba situation in Winnipeg. Posters adamant he wasn’t being move, didn’t want out, Chevy was in control until Trouba is gone and their D core left a dumpster fire.

The amount of talent wanting out of Columbus the last few years only adds more fuel to the fire that after Jones leaves, Werenski will be the next one.

I’d bet money he doesn’t re-up long term in Columbus. Time will tell I guess.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Avs are not trading Makar he's that good however damn that's quite the block buster. Jones and Werenski are arguably both number 1's. Goes to show how much I think of Makar not to mention the potential of Byram.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the argument could be made that Makar is already so far ahead of Pietrangelo in his offensive skills and at driving scoring that it balances out some of the areas that Pietrangelo still does better than Makar, where you could say Makar is the better player right now.

Yeah, this last game showed, how far Makar was offensively ahead of Pietrangelo. And it's without the fact, that defensively they are from different universes...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

You should wait until he even makes it to Detroit before saying no on Werenski’s behalf.
Yeah and by all accounts he plans on leaving when he becomes a UFA. Both Kyper and McClean have rumored to say that Werenski wants to head home to Detroit in the next 2 years. And Werenski himself has said that he wants to play for Hometown Detroit.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yeah, this last game showed, how far Makar was offensively ahead of Pietrangelo. And it's without the fact, that defensively they are from different universes...
Calm down it's Makar full second season and yet have a Norris nomination and would've won if not for injuries. Pietrangelo's defense might be better right now but alot of his defense relies on the team he has in front of him. Swap them out and I doubt there's difference to that series. The main difference was Nemeth and Graves dang.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The cost to sign all 4 players will probably be the same, 7 or 8 years @ $8,500,000. And there are rumors that Werenski wants to stay close to home near Detroit. Pretty sure he doesn't want to play that far away from his family that he has close ties to.

Oh my god and you're probably the bozo who made that rumor up!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah and by all accounts he plans on leaving when he becomes a UFA. Both Kyper and McClean have rumored to say that Werenski wants to head home to Detroit in the next 2 years. And Werenski himself has said that he wants to play for Hometown Detroit.

Oh well if Doug Maclean and Nick Kypreos say so. :laugh:

I didn't realize it was a credible rumor. :laugh:

Look if a bunch of desperate Wings fans start telling themselves that Werenski is coming to save them, and the most credulous podcasters on the internet pick that up, that's not actionable information. Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman and Jarmo Kekalainen aren't going to be like "well I'd do this but I heard that rumor from Doug Maclean, so..."

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Avs are not trading Makar he's that good however damn that's quite the block buster. Jones and Werenski are arguably both number 1's. Goes to show how much I think of Makar not to mention the potential of Byram.

Jones and Werenski are indeed both #1 D-men, and this trade would still be grand larceny on behalf of Columbus even if Byram wasn't in the deal. That's how good Cale Makar is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad