Proposal: Makar + Byram for Seth Jones + Werenski

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Larceny is going too far in my opinion but yes I wouldn't do it either if I was Avs.

Let's say the salary cap wasn't a thing, and the only games played were just playoff style games. Then I'd have to think about it. Jones and Werenski give you a lot more size and strength on the puck. They're much better at clearing the net, they're better shot blockers, etc... And between the two of them they score about as much as Makar.

But that's about the only scenario where I wouldn't call it larceny. Makar will be more cost effective and he'll be a dramatically better regular season player.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Let's say the salary cap wasn't a thing, and the only games played were just playoff style games. Then I'd have to think about it. Jones and Werenski give you a lot more size and strength on the puck. They're much better at clearing the net, they're better shot blockers, etc... And between the two of them they score about as much as Makar.

But that's about the only scenario where I wouldn't call it larceny. Makar will be more cost effective and he'll be a dramatically better regular season player.
Makar will always put up more points as he's just more creative however say trade went through. I bet you Makar would score fewer points on Jackets and Jones and Werenski would put up more on Avs. Then again Makar drives a lot of that offense as well. As for just playoff-style games well the goal is to win it all not just the regular season. Hence it's not larceny in my opinion but I'm keeping Makar and then Byram could wind up making this swing, even more for Avs. Three of these guys are studs Makar the best though. Regardless we both agree Avs do not accept this proposal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Makar will always put up more points as he's just more creative however say trade went through. I bet you Makar would score fewer points on Jackets and Jones and Werenski would put up more on Avs. Then again Makar drives a lot of that offense as well. As for just playoff-style games well the goal is to win it all not just the regular season. Hence it's not larceny in my opinion but I'm keeping Makar and then Byram could wind up making this swing, even more for Avs. Three of these guys are studs Makar the best though. Regardless we both agree Avs do not accept this proposal.

I think Makar would score just as much on any team. No seriously, his scoring rate by linemate is very unusual. He scores at a higher rate when the 2nd and 3rd liners are on the ice than he does when the topline is out there. He's just one of those superstars who scores more when he has the puck more. Talented teammates who expect to have the puck just end up getting in the way.

Werenski and Jones would certainly score A LOT more on the Avs though. Imagine taking a player with Jones' skillset and putting him in a system where he is allowed to try and score on the rush? And having pass options like Mackinnon and Rantanen?

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Are you out of your god damn mind? What on earth would compel the Avs to trade a 22 year old kid who is argued as one of the, if not the best, defenseman in the league?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Columbus becomes young and perspective, Colorado becomes big, tough defensively and better suited for playoffs.
you are trading better 'now' for younger.
Werenski in my opinion is better than Jones and Byram i doubt reaches the level of either. Makar doesnt make up for the gap, save age and shiny new toy syndrome.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I don't think I would even do that. Makars' defensive game is just too much and he is just going to get better.
it would be silly for Col to add the 2 older and more expensive players right now, unless they feared losing one due to cap crunch

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
This is laughable....Sakic is a Smart GM not an Idiot, guy would get fired and run out of the City if he pulled the trigger on that deal.

Jones and Werenski are very good D but Byram and Makar are younger and cheaper contracts that have many more RFA years of controlability.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You know Werenski is in Columbus right?

You should wait until he even makes it to Detroit before saying no on Werenski’s behalf.
Well, in the loosest technical sense, he could still be right. After all, Columbus is the NHL team geographically closest to Detroit excepting the Red Wings themselves; we're a rougly-two-hour drive away. (Next come the Leafs and Blackhawks and Sabres in some order.) So we arguably fall under "close to Detroit". ;)

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Makar is in untouchable territory. I think they do Timmins and a 1st before they ever bring up Makar. IMO he was the best Avs player in the series with Vegas.

But yeah salary cap wise this just doesn’t work.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
you are trading better 'now' for younger.
Werenski in my opinion is better than Jones and Byram i doubt reaches the level of either. Makar doesnt make up for the gap, save age and shiny new toy syndrome.

I was in agreement until that last sentence. Makar covers the gap and then some. If you're still talking about shiny toys then you need to open your eyes. That is one of the league's best players, regardless of position.

Reactions: CalvertsaBeast

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
I bet, you think, Makar is better, than Pietrangelo as well...
The wind in which people blow; yes Makar is absolutely better, all things considered.

I could argue Makar is more untouchable, to their respective teams, than MCDAVID at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad