Post-Game Talk: Major Leadership, Character, Coaching issues in Calgary

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I really think the Flames are one top notch goalie away from being an elite team. Why not go after Price?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Can Price score goals?
This. We have some major scoring problems and have for a while now. We have a couple of players that lead the team and have in the past too. Truth is, we don’t have depth in scoring. And if our Dmen are suppressed, that’s even more painful.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Stone was going to go after Lucic but the refs kept them apart. Gio, despite getting slashed, tackled #8 (Caggiula?) who was getting ready take a run at Smith. Brouwer also can't fight after his face injury

The next shift that Lucic was on the ice, Gully put Glass's line out. I'm not sure what people were expecting here

Reactions: Anglesmith

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Stone was going to go after Lucic but the refs kept them apart. Gio, despite getting slashed, tackled #8 (Caggiula?) who was getting ready take a run at Smith. Brouwer also can't fight after his face injury

The next shift that Lucic was on the ice, Gully put Glass's line out. I'm not sure what people were expecting here

I didn’t see the game so I can’t speak to that, but going by Smith’s comments it’s pretty clear to me that he’s calling guys out to answer the bell. Instead of a guy who’s barely played here all season and goes out and does the dirty work. Smith is saying that other guys who have been here all year should step up.

I think his comments are true, Hartley called out this team on a few occasions here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think that's what second quote kind of refers to. Smith was upset and heated, made an off the hip comment then half ass backpedaled. But I'm okay with it, because he's right, no other team in the NHL is likely to let their goalie get punched in the head without jumping the guy, especially after that goalie just defended the team captain. This is something we as fans have been complaining about for a long time now. The only guy on the ice when it happened with an excuse not to jump Lucic in that situation is Brouwer.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I re-watched the scrum and Stone and Brouwer were both going after Lucic but they both came late after the refs were involved but it's not like no one came, they were both trying to get at him. Also McDavid was on the ice during that scrum too, I wish someone put that whiner in a headlock.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I re-watched the scrum and Stone and Brouwer were both going after Lucic but they both came late after the refs were involved but it's not like no one came, they were both trying to get at him. Also McDavid was on the ice during that scrum too, I wish someone put that whiner in a headlock.
Gio should have been the one there, that is most concerning to me. Smith was getting punched because defended Gio, then Gio does f*** all to protect him?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's usually how it goes in these kinds of things when people or players complain about guys not standing up for one another. Usually if you review the film, it's overblown.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gio should have been the one there, that is most concerning to me. Smith was getting punched because defended Gio, then Gio does **** all to protect him?
Gio tackled Ty Rattie while Rattie was charging at Smith from behind. He was skating away from the net while the slashing happened, but when he saw things happening he immediately started skating hard towards the fray.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
People also seem to forget the way we bullied the Oilers the game before, especially McDavid and how not one Oiler stepped up. Even Gaudreau was throwing hits.

But all of a sudden it's become fashionable to trash the leaders in our room so a non-issue like this all of a sudden becomes a big deal for the talking heads.

If this was reffed like a true BoA, I'm sure Stone would've taken care of business with Lucic, then and there

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This also happened this season:

Hathaway gets there fast. Bennett knocks down Manson, who's huge. As soon as Gio realizes what's happen he gets involved with Grant but gets bearhugged away.

Jankowski and Hamilton kinda glide to the fray, I guess but at least the former's started to play tougher as the season's gone on.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gio tackled Ty Rattie while Rattie was charging at Smith from behind. He was skating away from the net while the slashing happened, but when he saw things happening he immediately started skating hard towards the fray.
Smith could drop Rattie though :laugh:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
not sure what to think about his comments. I fear there are some issues in the room. The one guy that has been very quiet on all fronts is Ferland. Is he still with the team?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really think the Flames are one top notch goalie away from being an elite team. Why not go after Price?

I remember many comments in the the armchair thread where most posters wouldn't give more than two seconds for Rask... I also wanted to target Raanta.

I really wish we'd diverted all those Elliott, Smith and Hamonic assets into goalies... but oh well. Price wouldn't have fit cap wise for sure though.

We can always dream. But there's also the fact certain goalies just aren't available when you need/want them.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Raanta or Grubauer are available in free agency, you pull the trigger on them.

Reactions: Dack

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I really wish we'd diverted all those Elliott, Smith and Hamonic assets into goalies... but oh well. Price wouldn't have fit cap wise for sure though.

What? Two of the players you listed are goalies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
What? Two of the players you listed are goalies.
I think he means good non stop gap goalies. A guy who could be here for the next 5-10 years. Smith has been good for us but he really hasn't solidified anything long term next year he is a UFA (if I'm not mistaken) and almost 40.

Reactions: Fig and Cyrano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad