Proposal: Major blockbuster (TO-CGY)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Calgary and Toronto have a storied history of making big shakeup trades.

Monahan+hanifin+Bennett+hamonic for Matthews+Kapanen+Barrie

Toronto easily passes, unless you force them to throw in a conditional 1st on top of the overpayment you proposed.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Flames have to win a big trade with Toronto at some point. Let's do it!

Wouldn't trade Tkachuk for Marner though.
Sigh I know :( when yall said chuky would be more valuable I laughed... :( ah well

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Seen enough of Barrie in Colorado, don't need Wideman 2.0

Would love to finally have a elite #1C in Calgary though

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Calgary and Toronto have a storied history of making big shakeup trades.

Monahan+hanifin+Bennett+hamonic for Matthews+Kapanen+Barrie

7 of every 8 final 4 teams are top GA teams.
You need 2.00 GAA or lower in 4 gm of a series for 4 series.

Strong 2D -1G homeplate defence wins championships

Both teams need to acquire 3+ top 60 open shot homeplate def Dmen depth.

Trading between 2 of the 5 worst homeplate defensive teams does nothing.

Dmen who abandon their defensive side of homeplate are not a good thing.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
This is bad on multiple levels.

You can't just add minor pieces to a trade to even out the "value". I'm not sure there's anyone on the Flames I would trade Matthews for but the starting piece would have to be Tkachuk.

Matthews has certainly not been the problem with the Leafs this season. He's not being traded regardless of the offer.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

You can't just add minor pieces to a trade to even out the "value". I'm not sure there's anyone on the Flames I would trade Matthews for but the starting piece would have to be Tkachuk.

Matthews has certainly not been the problem with the Leafs this season. He's not being traded regardless of the offer.
you hit it on the nose, Toronto trading Matthews for anything other than an upgrade in the form of a young center would be the start of another scorched earth rebuild, he's the last piece that gets traded

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
I'm an Oiler fan so take this with a (huge) grain of salt (although i dislike the leafs just as much as the flames). Matthews is a stud 1C whereas I see Monahan as an average 2C. Monahans success lives and dies with gaudreau. Monahan is phenomenal at finding open ice and cleaning up garbage for goals but average at a lot else.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

You can't just add minor pieces to a trade to even out the "value".

Sure you can. :naughty: Trader Cliff was the best.

Toronto Maple Leafs acquireDateCalgary Flames acquire

Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Doug Gilmour
Jamie Macoun
Kent Manderville
Ric Nattress
Rick Wamsley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 2, 1992
Craig Berube
Alexander Godynyuk
Gary Leeman
Michel Petit
Jeff Reese
Calgary_Flames.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Why do the Flames trade Gaudreau for Marner? Johnny makes way less for another few years. Similar players
That’s why the Leafs would make the trade and I agree that similar production and contract are certainly reasons for reluctance.

I imagine the Flames MIGHT consider it for the same reasons I’m apprehensive. Marner is four years younger(22 vs 26) and has higher remaining upside than Johnny while being more proven in the playoffs.

Both players have similar value in my mind. I doubt either team would consider making the deal.

Reactions: Tkachuky

Bond

May 10, 2012
Pump the brakes, matthews worth quite a bit more.

Definitely, Flames really only need Matthews from the Leafs and I don't see a trade that makes sense. Gaudreau for Marner isn't terrible but I don't think it solves anything for either.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
That’s why the Leafs would make the trade and I agree that similar production and contract are certainly reasons for reluctance.

I imagine the Flames MIGHT consider it for the same reasons I’m apprehensive. Marner is four years younger(22 vs 26) and has higher remaining upside than Johnny while being more proven in the playoffs.

Both players have similar value in my mind. I doubt either team would consider making the deal.

Yeah I think the age/contract in this case are a wash. Just don’t see either team making this move.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I remember 05-06 Toronto Maple Leaf Lindros. I'll gladly trade that Lindros to the Flames.

Yes, the decline was very ugly.

But, we're not talking about that Lindros.

We were talking about one of the very best players to ever put on skates.

Just imagine the damage he would inflict on today's NHL, where he doesn't need to worry about keeping his head up.

A league that considers Ovi a devastating hitter, one of the premier power forwards!!

He would tear this league a new asshole.....

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Definitely, Flames really only need Matthews from the Leafs and I don't see a trade that makes sense. Gaudreau for Marner isn't terrible but I don't think it solves anything for either.
I'd do that as a leaf fan. Lets say mitch is better, but factoring the cap heck no I'd take jg all day. Just my take though. Sigh the flames and leafs should be doing better this is bs

Reactions: Bond

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2