Rumor: MAF back to Pittsburgh?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There's a second buy-out window later in the offseason. Better off to wait things out, see if a trade materializes and then only buy him out as a last resort.

Well if the team really is trying to create space to try to get Petro, they can't wait until the second buy out window.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They just need to go ahead and buy him out. Deadline to do that is Thursday.

I worry that they will just be stuck with him and we will have 12 million tied to goaltending next season. :(

If the market is this bad for him, keep him until Sunday and let teams circle back.

They might not have to wait until Friday to know about how certain UFA players might fit into their cap though...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Murray to Ottawa. One down.

There's a second buy-out window later in the offseason. Better off to wait things out, see if a trade materializes and then only buy him out as a last resort.

Only if they let Cousins or Stephenson elect arbitration. And if the arbitrator gives them 2.5m they're stuck with it.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Murray to Ottawa. One down.

Only if they let Cousins or Stephenson elect arbitration. And if the arbitrator gives them 2.5m they're stuck with it.

IIRC you only need to schedule arbitration. You don't actually have to let it get that far for the 2nd buy-out window. So if you need it you set an arb date with Stephenson and then settle beforehand.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Well if the team really is trying to create space to try to get Petro, they can't wait until the second buy out window.

If they have Petro lined up another guy like Stastny needs to be moved anyways. Remember they can go over the cap by 10% so Fleury can wait if they move someone else first.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
WTF Guerin just gave away Donato and now Kunin.
I wouldn't be surprised if they traded away Rossi at this point. :naughty:

Turris bought out. He'd be just as good as Wennberg for the right price.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dreger said on radio he's not sure if Minnesota is on MAF's trade list or that he would waive for them.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If Fleury got bought out, where would you think he'd sign? Pittsburgh for the comfort? Carolina to compete for a cup? Minnesota for a guaranteed starting spot?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
A buyout is looking more & more like the probable outcome. The goalie market is flooded. With the flat cap, nobody wants a 36 y/0 goalie... even with 50% retained.

I'm confident they'll get him traded through an intermediary at 50%. Just need to wait for the free agency goalie market to play out. Some teams aren't going to get their guys.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Unless they are confident Petro is coming seems like they probably will just roll with the pain of a buyout. If they retain 50% they get $3.5m hit over 2 seasons, but with a buyout they take slightly lower hits next two seasons and then $2m hit two years after when you would hope cap resumes increasing. Those 2 years on the end aren't nothing, but they aren't worth giving up high value draft picks or prospects.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So if Fleury is on the waiver list at 9 he's being bought out and if he's not then he won't be bought out.

I mean, if Minnesota or Carolina really wanted him at 3.5 the only way to do that would be before a buyout, if Pittsburgh then becomes an option after that he would prefer.

Could possibly pressure one to give up a third and if we give up a first and second then the third team carrying that 3.5 gets a first, second and third rounder for it. We would get future considerations but no cap would be the big reward.

A buyout sounds bad. Giving up a 2021 1st and 2nd sounds bad.

We can definitely work around both though. I actually think giving up the picks isn't so bad we can't get through it.
1. Try to pick up a first or second rounder next season in a trade.
2. Step up our college free agent scouting.
3. Use our draft exemption to our advantage.
4. Sign free agents to good deals with no state tax and a desirable situation when they come up.

Scouting for the draft is often somewhat of a crapshoot in the twenties and later, I think that will be especially true next season when the prospects and scouting departments will have had two seasons affected by the strange times, I say give up the picks.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Can someone explain to me how a buyout works? I get how it works towards the cap for the next 4 years but would Foley essentially be handing MAF a check for 14 million dollars?

If so, could MAF then sign a 2 million dollar/2 year contract anywhere and essentially be making 16 million the next 2 years instead of the 14?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Can someone explain to me how a buyout works? I get how it works towards the cap for the next 4 years but would Foley essentially be handing MAF a check for 14 million dollars?

If so, could MAF then sign a 2 million dollar/2 year contract anywhere and essentially be making 16 million the next 2 years instead of the 14?

Foley would only be on the hook for 2/3 of the contract. So each year he'd have to cut a check for just over 2m to MAF. MAF is free to sign for whatever he can get on the open market.

Reactions: Knightmare

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I guess a MAF buyout is doable with Pietrangelo since there all these players around the league that weren't qualified and will be scrambling for contracts. They would have to move out Stastny and at least a 4m cap hit like Martinez (hence, his name popping up in rumors). That would leave around 11.8m to play with after bonus overages.

I wonder if there's going to be a lot of decent players (if they don't leave for Europe) having to take league minimum 2-way(NHL/AHL salary) contracts that end up getting waived for farm clubs.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
...so if a buyout is 'doable' why not retain 1.5-2m and trade him? o_O

Or better yet, be patient and get a 3rd team to retain 1.5-2m in a week or so.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad