Rumor: MAF back to Pittsburgh?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Thank goodness. No desperation buyout for Flower. That would have made no sense.

No, going into next season with 12 million tied to goaltending would make no sense.

I wanted the buyout.

This team has given away too many draft picks the last couple of years. I don't want to include a 1st, a 2nd or a 3rd to trade him.

I also just don't see him getting traded at all. Nobody wants him at full salary and Vegas doesn't want to retain.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
No, going into next season with 12 million tied to goaltending would make no sense.

Going into next season with 12 million tied to goaltending is a big mistake.

I wanted the buyout.

This team has given away too many draft picks the last couple of years. I don't want to include a 1st, a 2nd or a 3rd to trade him.

I also just don't see him getting traded at all. Nobody wants him at full salary and Vegas doesn't want to retain.

I'd take Fleury at full salary for Hague+

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The buyout option was Mr Photoshop's ace in the hole get out of jail free card. He could have signed back in Pittsburgh or Carolina, which is what he probably wanted.
Now MAF will have to waive for the team with the best offer if he wants to get playing time somewhere else.

Billy Guerin must be chomping at the bit to get his old teammate to be his new #1 and get a free 2nd rounder...
I wonder if he still wants to move Greenway too.

Hawks have a lot of space now and are looking to rebuild as well. I'm sure they'd like that 2nd to take MAF.

Last edited:

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
The buyout option was Mr Photoshop's ace in the hole get out of jail free card. He could have signed back in Pittsburgh or Carolina, which is what he probably wanted.
Now MAF will have to waive for the team with the best offer if he wants to get playing time somewhere else.

Billy Guerin must be chomping at the bit to get his old teammate to be his new #1 and get a free 2nd rounder...
I wonder if he still wants to move Greenway too.

Hawks have a lot of space now and are looking to rebuild as well. I'm sure they'd like that 2nd to take MAF.

Wild fan here -- he would move Greenway - likely IS looking to move Greenway at some point.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Whats happening with MAF? I thought he would be gone already!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still think they should have bought him out.

The teams needing goaltending are decreasing by the minute.

I think the most likely outcome is that the Knights are stuck with him.

In order to make room for Petro, this team is going to need to trade other players.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I still think they should have bought him out.

The teams needing goaltending are decreasing by the minute.

I think the most likely outcome is that the Knights are stuck with him.

In order to make room for Petro, this team is going to need to trade other players.

If the Avalanche and Hurricanes are alright with their goaltending that leaves the Oilers with Kuemper being the only other goalie left they could try to get. The Sabres could also use better goaltending, they have to make the playoffs, not do anything special but make the playoffs so Eichel doesn't finally lose it and demand a trade.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He's going to try to stay the good guy. His professional guys who know the game tried giving Fleury to anyone with a present. He pays George and Kelly good money to be the bad guys for him. Or it could be a ploy to not seem desperate to move him so as not to pay as much.

I wonder why the reporter didn't ask him the natural follow up. "Oh, you want to keep Marc-Andre? So it's Pacioretty you want gone, right?" because there aren't many good options trying to contend with twelve million in goaltending and one or two ELCs.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I would be all for keeping Fleury, if not for his 7 million dollar contract.

Hypothetically, would waiving Fleury and sending him to the minors save any cap space?

You send him to the minors and you can technically say that Fleury is still with the team.

Fleury in the AHL would save 1m in cap space.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Fleury in the AHL would save 1m in cap space.

What about a trade to Carolina for Reimer and add whatever pick is necessary? Vegas gets a backup and saves 3.5M and Carolina upgrades slightly in goaltending and gets a 1st or 2nd for the extra 3.5M.

After that only around 5M would need to be moved, either Marchessault or Schmidt.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
What about a trade to Carolina for Reimer and add whatever pick is necessary? Vegas gets a backup and saves 3.5M and Carolina upgrades slightly in goaltending and gets a 1st or 2nd for the extra 3.5M.

After that only around 5M would need to be moved, either Marchessault or Schmidt.

That would be fine as a last resort, but the most obvious solution is still getting his full hit off the books through a 3rd team regardless of what that costs us in picks. Schmidt for me would be a total nonstarter. Marchie would be last resort if none of the other 3 LD can get enough space. I doubt Vegas has plans to bring back AMart so if we need space I could see moving him for the same reason Stastny made sense.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
How does this sound to Vegas fans:

Detroit trades Vegas's 3rd round pick back to them (from Tatar trade)
For MAF (no retention) + 2021 1st.

Detroit retains 50% cap hit (3.5M x 2 years) and retrades MAF to another team for a
2nd + 2nd or 2nd + 3rd or etc.

If you look at this as a :

Pietroangelo for a 1st and you keep Schmidt. Deal sounds much better to me than swapping Schmidt with Pietrangelo.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Detroit retains 50% cap hit (3.5M x 2 years) and retrades MAF to another team for a

Pietroangelo for a 1st and you keep Schmidt. Deal sounds much better to me than swapping Schmidt with Pietrangelo.

That would be great for Vegas at this point, but sadly I think the Schmidt deal is already done. Even with the Schmidt deal though I would easily do this.

Reactions: BinCookin

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think the Schmidt deal is done in theory but won't be acted on until Pietrangelo signs. If they found a way to move all of Fleury's contract, I think they would back out of the Schmidt deal.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

We all would want that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->