Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
One or both of the Montreal games I would imagine
Don’t see any harm in letting him play more games if he plays better than expected, whenever he plays…..if J Martin sees his job as winning games, while being defensively responsible and Sogaard gives them the best chance to do that …..then play him vs a stronger team(s) …. After all the rookie GM needs to know what he has in the system…he is after all learning on the job.

Korpisalos’ numbers as a Senator 3.80 GAA, .884 SV%
Sogaards’ numbers as a Senator 3.30 GAA, .889 SV%

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Because he's young and can't learn anything from playing behind a messy team defense, all he can do is lose some confidence.

Could go play pick up hockey anywhere and it'll do the same
This isn't true at all.

In fact, our long lost goalie of the future Daccord, played behind a terrible D at ASU, getting shelled regularly and it hasn't hurt him.

Sogaard will be fine, it won't ruin him, and I am positive he would prefer to be up with Ottawa than in Belleville.

Reactions: HSF

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This isn't true at all.

In fact, our long lost goalie of the future Daccord, played behind a terrible D at ASU, getting shelled regularly and it hasn't hurt him.

Sogaard will be fine, it won't ruin him, and I am positive he would prefer to be up with Ottawa than in Belleville.

It's not about what he wants, it's about what is good for him long term, like when you raise a kid

Ottawa has been a goalie GRAVEYARD for 7 seasons now. Sogaard just turned 23 y/o, which is still pretty young for a goalie. He had 0.889 SV% and 3.32 GAA last season and the team was playing much much better in front of him. If he comes in and has worse stats, do you think it would help building some confidence or it could affect him like it has affected EVERY goalie who has played here in the last 7 seasons?

We still need to figure out TEAM DEFENSE, might as well use guys that are already paid (Korpisalo, Forsberg) or a goalie who is not in long term plans (Mandolese) until we do.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's not about what he wants, it's about what is good for him long term, like when you raise a kid

Ottawa has been a goalie GRAVEYARD for 7 seasons now. Sogaard just turned 23 y/o, which is still pretty young for a goalie. He had 0.889 SV% and 3.32 GAA last season and the team was playing much much better in front of him. If he comes in and has worse stats, do you think it would help building some confidence or it could affect him like it has affected EVERY goalie who has played here in the last 7 seasons?

We still need to figure out TEAM DEFENSE, might as well use guys that are already paid (Korpisalo, Forsberg) or a goalie who is not in long term plans (Mandolese) until we do.
When you play him, either one of two things will happen: he’ll play well despite the crappy team defense and earn more starts or he’ll struggle and Korpisalo will get the majority of the starts while he gets the weaker teams in Forsberg’s absence. If he starts well and then slips, again, you can just go back to Korpisalo.

I don’t really think there’s much concern of ruining him, if things are going badly he won’t play enough for it to snowball and shatter his confidence. Personally I would welcome a change from watching Korpisalo. We are atrocious in front of him but he’s been just as bad.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure how I feel about sending him out against the Avs, 2nd highest scoring team in the league against our defense is not what I'd call easing him in...
Let's see what you got kid.

I think some of this type of concern is valid. I do think its part of the process to call up the prospects that have earned it when the need is there.

Not sure he'll actually start.

The fact that they're going to sogaard so quickly indicates to me that Jacques is also sick of Korpisalo's shit.
I wonder why that would be. He obviously hasn't read the HFSens don't blame Korpisalo memo.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Not sure how I feel about sending him out against the Avs, 2nd highest scoring team in the league against our defense is not what I'd call easing him in...

I like it. See if the team can respond in front of him and show some pride defending in front of their young goalie.

Even if Sogaard gets shelled, I don't think it hurts him. He's played behind this defense before, having both good and bad stretches. Went back down to the A and has put up a very good season so far.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
I like it. See if the team can respond in front of him and show some pride defending in front of their young goalie.

Even if Sogaard gets shelled, I don't think it hurts him. He's played behind this defense before, having both good and bad stretches. Went back down to the A and has put up a very good season so far.

If he starts, no doubt that's what JM is thinking.

MS got off to a good start last season:
(from NHL site):
"Sogaard of Senators named NHL Rookie of the Month for February
Goalie was 4-0-1 with 2.33 GAA, .922 save percentage."

Reactions: OD99 and Dionysus

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you play him, either one of two things will happen: he’ll play well despite the crappy team defense and earn more starts or he’ll struggle and Korpisalo will get the majority of the starts while he gets the weaker teams in Forsberg’s absence. If he starts well and then slips, again, you can just go back to Korpisalo.

I don’t really think there’s much concern of ruining him, if things are going badly he won’t play enough for it to snowball and shatter his confidence. Personally I would welcome a change from watching Korpisalo. We are atrocious in front of him but he’s been just as bad.

ok this is a valid response, as long as we don't run with him again like we did last season, I'm ok with it

I just hope people's expectations are very low if he posts 3.32 GAA and 0.883 SV% again. Don't judge him as a prospect based on that

We have been throwing young players to the wolves the whole Dorion's rebuild, can't say it has paid off well so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99 and PlayOn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I just don't think it will ruin him. He is having a great season in Belleville despite his NHL experience last year.

He gets it, I am sure. Everyone knows the team D is bad but let's see if he can cover up more of those mistakes than the incumbents.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just don't think it will ruin him. He is having a great season in Belleville despite his NHL experience last year.

He gets it, I am sure. Everyone knows the team D is bad but let's see if he can cover up more of those mistakes than the incumbents.

If the guy is able to mask the D deficiencies then maybe he really is our goalie of the future.

Reactions: OD99

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

The thing is you don't know what rattles a young goalie until it's too late. I get the optimism and excitement but more often than not teams are risk averse in these situations because it just isn't worth it. There is almost nothing to gain but potentially a lot to lose in the worse case scenario.

There's the flip side too in that as bad as Korpi has been, we also need to get him going one way or another and maybe a game against a top team sparks him.

Anyway, Soggy is in, let's hope he lights it up.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sogaard needs to have a good game tonight and create some momentum for himself and the team. He was up and down last year and lots of fans liked Merilainen’s game better.

Win or lose need a game from Soggy tonight that shows he’s better then what we have.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Sogaard needs to have a good game tonight and create some momentum for himself and the team. He was up and down last year and lots of fans liked Merilainen’s game better.

Win or lose need a game from Soggy tonight that shows he’s better then what we have.
Exactly the line of thinking I'm worried about. There should be no pressure and no he doesn't need to show that he is better than an established NHL goalie. Nothing should rest on this one game for our goalie of the future and I hope JM is telling him this.

The decision to play him should be based solely on his own development. If Staios/ Bowness/JM think it's the right time in his career for a prove it opportunity than who am I to argue otherwise. But I hope we aren't making the decision based on some hail mary to salvage something this season or boost team morale. That to me should be secondary to developing a critical future piece.

It's also pretty noteworthy how un-Jacques Martin this move is. Historically he has been very reluctant to put rookies in situations where they could fail.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Exactly the line of thinking I'm worried about. There should be no pressure and no he doesn't need to show that he is better than an established NHL goalie. Nothing should rest on this one game for our goalie of the future and I hope JM is telling him this.

The decision to play him should be based solely on his own development. If Staios/ Bowness/JM think it's the right time in his career for a prove it opportunity than who am I to argue otherwise. But I hope we aren't making the decision based on some hail mary to salvage something this season or boost team morale. That to me should be secondary to developing a critical future piece.

It's also pretty noteworthy how un-Jacques Martin this move is. Historically he has been very reluctant to put rookies in situations where they could fail.
This isn’t Merilainen though. Sogaard has played NHL games, he’s been in the AHL for years now and he’s 23. I think he’s far enough along in his development that he’ll be alright, and it’s not like anyone is forcing him into a #1 role — they’re just giving him an opportunity to play, which I’m sure he’s happy about. Anything beyond that will have meant he earned more, which would be excellent but isn’t an expectation.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Because he's young and can't learn anything from playing behind a messy team defense, all he can do is lose some confidence.

Could go play pick up hockey anywhere and it'll do the same
Actually I think they team will play harder and more disciplined for him. I get the impression that Forsberg is liked by his teammates, Korpi not so much.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad