Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
So we take the goalie who took over from the goalie in Medicine Hat we had taken earlier

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He might be 7'0 the day he plays in NHL. He needs to gain 50 pounds, but that will come.

Torso9000

Aug 12, 2011
I like that they've been drafting goalies every year recently, but the trade-up here seems ill-advised. For a rebuilding team, I think they should be trying to take more swings at the draft and trading down instead.

I do like that the organizational depth is much improved compared to where it was a few years ago when Driedger and Brassard were the only guys in the system. While they're obviously not all going to work out, I'm hopeful that there will be a long-term starter that emerges between Gustavsson, Hogberg, Daccord, Sogaard, Mandolese, and Hollett.

Reactions: derriko

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Don't mind taking him with our 3rd pick but I don't think trading up to that spot was a great decision. Dorion loves to just throw away picks in dumb trades though so at least he's got that out of the way for this week.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1) We have Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord and Mandolese.

2) Value of goalies is lowest of all positions.

3) Probably still available at 44

LETS TRADE UP BOYS.
Pierre literally said they werent going to pick a goalie. Then carolina picks rees with the pic lol

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think the question is "would the Senators have gotten him at 44", it should be "is this guy worth 44+83".

He was the 2nd ranked goalie in the draft, and teams tend to have an idea of where other teams are leaning. The Senators probably had a good idea that they needed to move up if they wanted this player. Teams aren't always right about who wants who, but they generally have some intel.

To use this much draft stock on a goalie when we have Gustvsson, Hogberg, and Daccord in the system, I would hope that this guy projects to be a star. Or, there was just too big of a drop off in the second round to justify staying put. Value wise, that's the only way it makes a lot of sense to me.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I don't think the question is "would the Senators have gotten him at 44", it should be "is this guy worth 44+83".

He was the 2nd ranked goalie in the draft, and teams tend to have an idea of where other teams are leaning. The Senators probably had a good idea that they needed to move up if they wanted this player. Teams aren't always right about who wants who, but they generally have some intel.

To use this much draft stock on a goalie when we have Gustvsson, Hogberg, and Daccord in the system, I would hope that this guy projects to be a star. Or, there was just too big of a drop off in the second round to justify staying put. Value wise, that's the only way it makes a lot of sense to me.
I feel that they thought they might get him at 44. Once Carolina took their goalie, they didn't want to chance Sogard being taken by anyone else from 37-43. Carolina going "off the board" for a goalie just changed our strategy a bit.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad