Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Forsberg is injured, so Sogaard slides in and gets some action. He has paid his dues and deserves the chance. Next man/goalie up situation. I think expectations will be high from some. Have to hope for the best.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I won't go as far as to say that he sucks ****, but he certainly sucked tonight. Looks like he lacks the necessary fundamentals to be a goalie in the nhl

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No goalie can look good behind this team, as long as we don’t accept this, we will somehow think that this isn’t because of the way they play.

They played the right way for 30 minutes… then the 2nd part of the game is what we have seen for all the DJ Dorion era

My thought was it was not the right decision to call up Sogaard exactly for what happened tonight

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I won't go as far as to say that he sucks ****, but he certainly sucked tonight. Looks like he lacks the necessary fundamentals to be a goalie in the nhl

Disagree. I don’t recall him every really stealing a game in his 20 NHL starts but there’s a solid base to work with. Probably not going to get a good read on what kind of goaltender he is with the way this team has been playing. It’s not a Hogberg situation who was completely beyond his depth at the NHL level.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's damned hard to get called up and get stuck playing against a team like Colorado.

We desperately need a couple defensive minded blueliners on this team. Chych is big and strong, but he's lousy defensively, and Sandy is still too inexperienced. Zub has fallen, as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's better than what he showed tonight. He had a bad / shaky first game .
Idk if I'd go so far as to say the loss is on him but I do think the team played well enough to win that game.

I'd say two of the goals he absolutely should have had, that leaves us tied when you scratch the EN.
That said, we also didn't make it easy for him, going into the third with the lead we can't be giving up odd man rushes the way we did.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Precisely why he shouldn't have gotten the start. In his head now he's the guy that blew it for the big team with his one shot.

Anyway, I thought he looked excellent in the first. Was tracking the puck well with efficient movement and didn't get out of position. His body was quiet as you would hope for a big goalie and his rebound control was good. Unfortunately he got messier as the game went on and he let in some bad goals that looked confidence shattering. The stick dropping on multiple occasions was not pretty and indicative of a goalie who was rattled imo.

But I'll dwell on the fundamentals which were apparent for at least 20 minutes.

Reactions: Korpse

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's damned hard to get called up and get stuck playing against a team like Colorado.

We desperately need a couple defensive minded blueliners on this team. Chych is big and strong, but he's lousy defensively, and Sandy is still too inexperienced. Zub has fallen, as well.
Zub has been a dissapointment this year

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Being big is not a skill. This organization needs an entire new evaluation process on goaltending. Whoever has ever made any decisions on these goalies should be shot to the moon. Watching this guy and actually thinking it made Gustavsson expendable is incomprehensible. It's actually crazy how big he is and how absolutely putrid he is at getting in front of a hockey puck.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Idk if I'd go so far as to say the loss is on him but I do think the team played well enough to win that game.

I'd say two of the goals he absolutely should have had, that leaves us tied when you scratch the EN.
That said, we also didn't make it easy for him, going into the third with the lead we can't be giving up odd man rushes the way we did.
And the goal that was called back. Flip flopping around all over the ice. Dropping his stick. For a full 60 minutes that's the worst goaltending display I've seen all season. Which you'd think would be impossible to pull off as the sens have had historically bad goaltending.

I was at the game. Sat in both the 200's and the 100's. Being that close in the 100's and seeing how big he is and how little net there is to shoot on. Meanwhile watch him take himself out of position over and over again literally looked at times like he was trying to get out of the way. If he just sat in a butterfly and challenged the shooter he would have made more saves.

What a horrible draft pick. Mann and Co sure got lucky in 2020. The rest has been so so so so so bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cant wait until he gets traded and somehow becomes another Vezina-nominated goalie like the rest of them.
There's absolutely no way this is happening. Gustavsson and Daccord were technically sound goalies. With actual talent and ability. This is not the case in this instance.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Soggard isn’t the goalie of the future. He doesn’t have the concentration levels to be a starter - he disappears at times and looks docile in the crease from sequence to sequence.

Looks good in his gear, doesn’t have it between the ears

He's better than what he showed tonight. He had a bad / shaky first game .

Every 2-3 games with Soaggrd is a gong show. He’s just not consistent and doesn’t seem to have that fire goalies need to be starters.

Until he shows me he’s legit, he’s not legit he’s just the hope for a bad team

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And the goal that was called back. Flip flopping around all over the ice. Dropping his stick. For a full 60 minutes that's the worst goaltending display I've seen all season. Which you'd think would be impossible to pull off as the sens have had historically bad goaltending.

I was at the game. Sat in both the 200's and the 100's. Being that close in the 100's and seeing how big he is and how little net there is to shoot on. Meanwhile watch him take himself out of position over and over again literally looked at times like he was trying to get out of the way. If he just sat in a butterfly and challenged the shooter he would have made more saves.

What a horrible draft pick. Mann and Co sure got lucky in 2020. The rest has been so so so so so bad.
Kid had a bad game.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think that Sogaard is rapidly going from prospect to suspect. He should be getting better but instead appears to be regressing. About the only positive is his size, and even at that he plays so small in the crease that it negates the advantage. I think we should ship him back to Belleville and give our next look to Mandolese. We have two other prospects in Mando and Meralainen, and there is no reason to be wedded to Sogaard as the future in goal...

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Confidence plummeting right before our eyes and this is why you not take chances with developing goalies, throwing him to the wolves vs Colorado made no sense and it all snowballed from there.

However, it is just part of the process. People will legitimately be down on him but it shouldn't have much effect on our outlook, he just needs to put his head down and keep working in the A. He has an NHL future, still young.

It would be a terrible move to call up Merilainen. He is not ready judging by his recent games in Belleville and we can't risk shattering our two top prospects in the span of a few weeks. Mando should be next.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Confidence plummeting right before our eyes and this is why you not take chances with developing goalies, throwing him to the wolves vs Colorado made no sense and it all snowballed from there.

However, it is just part of the process. People will legitimately be down on him but it shouldn't have much effect on our outlook, he just needs to put his head down and keep working in the A. He has an NHL future, still young.

It would be a terrible move to call up Merilainen. He is not ready judging by his recent games in Belleville and we can't risk shattering our two top prospects in the span of a few weeks. Mando should be next.
The team has played fine in front of him, he’s just been bad since he got put in. And that’s fine, but I really don’t think we need to coddle him at this stage of his development.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The team has played fine in front of him, he’s just been bad since he got put in. And that’s fine, but I really don’t think we need to coddle him at this stage of his development.
You can't force his game to be NHL ready. Not sure if coddling is the word but If he is showing he isn't ready than accept it and go back to the drawing board. A goalies development path can be a long and delicate process. If that means coddling after he gets embarrassed and is at an all time low than so be it.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
You can't force his game to be NHL ready. Not sure if coddling is the word but If he is showing he isn't ready than accept it and go back to the drawing board. A goalies development path can be a long and delicate process. If that means coddling after he gets embarrassed and is at an all time low than so be it.
Sure but if playing him in 3 NHL games is a detriment to his development we’ve got bigger issues. He’s next in line when we have an injury, this is the responsibility that comes with that. And he was playing well in Belleville so evaluating him to see whether he’s NHL ready or not would make sense anyway, clearly he’s not and we have that info now.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad