Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'm fine with a goalie as long as it's not in the 1st.

He could become a stud or he could bust but at least the potential is there.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Ottawa can only protect 1 goalie at the expansion draft, assuming that Anderson, Condon are gone, and Nilsson will not become a superstar and will be gone, this will leave either Gus or Hog being exposed.

On this basis it makes more sense that they would take another goalie, in a weaker draft year, than spend a pick next year in an exceptional skater draft.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa can only protect 1 goalie at the expansion draft, assuming that Anderson, Condon are gone, and Nilsson will not become a superstar and will be gone, this will leave either Gus or Hog being exposed.

On this basis it makes more sense that they would take another goalie, in a weaker draft year, than spend a pick next year in an exceptional skater draft.

We can only lose one goalie though.

So if both Hogberg and Gus are worth Seattle taking come the expansion draft, that's a good problem to have. We still leave with a starting goalie.

My hope is that they did not draft for position and took Sogard in spite of having depth at the position with 4 goalies. That they took Sogard because their scouts felt the value was too good.

Reactions: Que

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
We can only lose one goalie though.

So if both Hogberg and Gus are worth Seattle taking come the expansion draft, that's a good problem to have. We still leave with a starting goalie.

My hope is that they did not draft for position and took Sogard in spite of having depth at the position with 4 goalies. That they took Sogard because their scouts felt the value was too good.
To put it in context, this was when people were complaining that we took Sogard, early and not a skater, when we had 4 others and I was just pointing out that I didn't think we would have Condon, Anderson, or Nilson when the expansion draft took place, and then we would only have 1 goalie, so the Sogard pick was actually a good pick.

I agree the glass is half full, taking our 2nd best goalie would be a vote of confidence on the one we protect.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To put it in context, this was when people were complaining that we took Sogard, early and not a skater, when we had 4 others and I was just pointing out that I didn't think we would have Condon, Anderson, or Nilson when the expansion draft took place, and then we would only have 1 goalie, so the Sogard pick was actually a good pick.

I agree the glass is half full, taking our 2nd best goalie would be a vote of confidence on the one we protect.
at rookie camp dorion told us they were looking for a goalie specifically because of expansion. theyre expecting to lose on of the 4, well I guess three sogaard wont be eligible

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought that the Sogaard move was an excellent one. It was a weak draft year, and we had already landed Thomson and Pinto. Spending a pick to move up to get a guy who could be a gem is a great move. We don't have to get him signed until Spring 2021, so we have another full season after this one to evaluate his progress before we even have to worry about how he counts on the 50 contract limit. Look at Daccord - a 7th rounder from back in 2015, and just now at age 23 he's starting to look like a legit NHL prospect. Goalies take longer to mature - just look at Driedger. We gave up on him too early and now at 25 looks like he could be an NHL goalie...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I thought that the Sogaard move was an excellent one. It was a weak draft year, and we had already landed Thomson and Pinto. Spending a pick to move up to get a guy who could be a gem is a great move. We don't have to get him signed until Spring 2021, so we have another full season after this one to evaluate his progress before we even have to worry about how he counts on the 50 contract limit. Look at Daccord - a 7th rounder from back in 2015, and just now at age 23 he's starting to look like a legit NHL prospect. Goalies take longer to mature - just look at Driedger. We gave up on him too early and now at 25 looks like he could be an NHL goalie...
IMO, every reason you outlined above are all reasons why NHL GMs shouldn't move assets to trade up to draft a goalie. Especially when the pick is a huge reach. There is value in drafting goalies in later rounds. As you mentioned, Daccord was a7th round pick, Kevin Mandolese, a 6th round pick, is looking like a player as well.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
IMO, every reason you outlined above are all reasons why NHL GMs shouldn't move assets to trade up to draft a goalie. Especially when the pick is a huge reach. There is value in drafting goalies in later rounds. As you mentioned, Daccord was a7th round pick, Kevin Mandolese, a 6th round pick, is looking like a player as well.

I feel like every situation is completely unique, and regardless of all of the factors at play, if you have an ace scouting team and they really like a guy and decide to move up to get him, it doesnt matter what position he plays.

Personally, I trust the Sens scouting on this one. Especially when you consider the team already had several goalie prospects, you have to believe they saw something really special in Sogaard. A budget team in a small market like Ottawa absolutely cannot be throwing away 2nd round picks, so I have no doubt that there was a huge amount of consideration that went into this move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit and Que

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I feel like every situation is completely unique, and regardless of all of the factors at play, if you have an ace scouting team and they really like a guy and decide to move up to get him, it doesnt matter what position he plays.

Personally, I trust the Sens scouting on this one. Especially when you consider the team already had several goalie prospects, you have to believe they saw something really special in Sogaard. A budget team in a small market like Ottawa absolutely cannot be throwing away 2nd round picks, so I have no doubt that there was a huge amount of consideration that went into this move.

Not to mention Mann was a goalie when he played.

There is something special in this kid.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Counterpoints would probably be giving away 2nd round picks is sort of a running joke with this franchise, and we've really only drafted Lehner, Elliot and I guess Emery in terms of goalies that panned out in the entirety of this teams history.

I think we can give the current scouting team some leeway, but tbh they haven't really proven themselves one way or the other as capable of finding elite goaltending talent, little lone capable of knowing when a prospect is such a sure bet that they should trade up to get him.

It's also worth noting that at the draft, they justified taking Soogard by saying they expected to lose a goalie to the expansion draft so they wanted to stock up to maximize the likelyhood of at least one panning out.

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Numbers are a bit concerning but he always seemed like a long term prospect to me. His numbers were disappointing this year especially on a stacked team but goalies are voodoo.

Reactions: JungleBeat

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has better numbers than his backup, but evaluating non-NHL goalies based on SVP and GAA is a fools errand imo
Agreed, evaluating any goalie at this age and projecting them is extremely challenging. Look how long it took Markstrom to establish himself. These big goalies take forever. Some can be 8 years away from the time you draft them.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
How intriguing is this guy though? What is he? 6'7"!? And moves the way he does!? I mean, you've gotta love the theory behind a pick like this.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
A short update on Mads Sogaard:

He is currently playing for Esbjerg Energy in the best Danish league (on a loan from the Medicine Hat Tigers). The top Danish league has not been shut down this season and is actually as strong as ever. The level of play can probably be compared to Swedish second tier. Up to 8 foreign players are allowed on each team and the top lines are actually pretty good but the bottom lines are rather bad. But it is a great opportunity for a goaltender his age to get experience in a professional league, specially now when most other leagues are shut down because of Covid.

The general opinion in hockey Denmark is that he has been excellent, and I would say that he is a top 3 goaltender in the league. He has been on ice in 12 games so far, and among goaltenders with more than 3 games played he has by far the best save percentage of all: 93,38%

He looks legit so Senators better sign him to an entry-level deal before June. It would be stupid to make the same mistake Carolina Hurricanes did with Frederik Andersen (TOR) in 2012.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Appears as though he is the hope for “goalie of the future” taking into consideration the term of the Murray signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00