Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I think this guy will turn out. The don’t think you can have enough goalies... although there are only so many spots to play them.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Huge goalie, judging by the highlights he doesn't play that big and looks to get deep in his net fast. Lots of time to fix some quirks though.

Reactions: Simplicity

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Sogaard said in the summer he training with the goalie coach of Belleville.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I watched the top prospects game again where Mads played for Team Cherry.

-Made 16 of 17 saves. Only goal he gave up was on a beauty deke by G Clarke.et
- Extremely athletic for such a big guy. Looks smooth in the net which you usually dont see for a big guy his age.
- Very agile, moves laterally very well. Doesnt take himself out of position
- LOVES to handle the puck and he is very good at doing so. Made a couple smart passes and controls the puck with confidence.
- Aggressive on shooters.
- Looks massive in the net. Covers a LOT of net.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I watched the top prospects game again where Mads played for Team Cherry.

-Made 16 of 17 saves. Only goal he gave up was on a beauty deke by G Clarke.et
- Extremely athletic for such a big guy. Looks smooth in the net which you usually dont see for a big guy his age.
- Very agile, moves laterally very well. Doesnt take himself out of position
- LOVES to handle the puck and he is very good at doing so. Made a couple smart passes and controls the puck with confidence.
- Aggressive on shooters.
- Looks massive in the net. Covers a LOT of net.
Thanks. Hopefully he turns in to something cause quite a few guys picked right after him could have been a real help to us.

Reactions: DJB

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Huge goalie, judging by the highlights he doesn't play that big and looks to get deep in his net fast. Lots of time to fix some quirks though.

The highlights posted at the start of the thread show him out attacking at the top of the crease nearly every play, and even on east west plays he looks to get a small push away from the line before going across to get a better handle on the attack angle.

There was a lack of highlight saves for glove side or anything high blocker, but from what I saw in those it seems like he tries to get close to the shooter and keep everything hitting him low.

Definitely not a sit on the crease and let his size do the work for him type it would seem but rather a 6'7 goalie who attacks the puck as hard as a 6'1 goalie needs to and allows his size to be that much more of an advantage.

Hopefully it can translate into the pros, because sometimes being too aggressive will get you beat and then your weaknesses start showing up if you have to play the percentages more.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
1) We have Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord and Mandolese.

2) Value of goalies is lowest of all positions.

3) Probably still available at 44

LETS TRADE UP BOYS.
Never count your chickens before they hatch,
The more eggs the better chance of a new chicken.

The taller the new chicken, the quicker the feet, the better the meat! In my experience anyways

Reactions: Boud

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You don't know that. Not sure why anyone would make an absolute statement this early. The draft certainly shows which posters in this fan base are stable vs insane.

Sorry, I’m not being clear, I meant that that no one in their right mind would have made those choices in those two spots, let alone draft up for a guy who would still be there.

Reactions: Frank8

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Sorry, I’m not being clear, I meant that that no one in their right mind would have made those choices in those two spots, let alone draft up for a guy who would still be there.

You can argue they reached with their top 3 selections, but they all have promise. They're not write offs. It's unknown what they are for another 2-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->