Prospect Info: Mads Sogaard, Goaltender, 37th Overall

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He is the smallest big goalie I’ve ever seen if that makes any sense.

Hes not ready and not sure he ever will be
For what it's worth, Bishop had similarly bad numbers at the NHL level at the same age.

There's definitely work to be done before he's ready, idk why but he's looked better in the limited AHL games I've seen, might be a confidence thing idk.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Sure but if playing him in 3 NHL games is a detriment to his development we’ve got bigger issues. He’s next in line when we have an injury, this is the responsibility that comes with that. And he was playing well in Belleville so evaluating him to see whether he’s NHL ready or not would make sense anyway, clearly he’s not and we have that info now.
Sure. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been called up. I'm saying he shouldn't have started the Colorado game and that now after three bad starts I'd rather send him back and not risk further damage.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He is the smallest big goalie I’ve ever seen if that makes any sense.

Hes not ready and not sure he ever will be
I was never sold on the “goalie of the future” they’ve been selling but he seems like a great and very mature guy, definitely is tall etc. Happy to be wrong and see him succeed.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I still think Sogaard has potential to be a NHL starter. Some goalies take forever to figure it out. Look at Daccord; drafted almost 9 years ago. Dreidger was another guy that I thought was starting to figure it out in Florida a few years ago. He seems to have dropped off.

More than anything, it's about consistency. It's one thing to have a break through season but entirely another thing to perform at a consistent level in the NHL. Sogaard is only 23, he's 6'7, and he was posting solid numbers in the AHL. For those reasons, I think he still has potential for the future.

Reactions: R We A Team

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I still think Sogaard has potential to be a NHL starter. Some goalies take forever to figure it out. Look at Daccord; drafted almost 9 years ago. Dreidger was another guy that I thought was starting to figure it out in Florida a few years ago. He seems to have dropped off.

More than anything, it's about consistency. It's one thing to have a break through season but entirely another thing to perform at a consistent level in the NHL. Sogaard is only 23, he's 6'7, and he was posting solid numbers in the AHL. For those reasons, I think he still has potential for the future.

he seems to lose pucks all the time. Two games in a row he had no idea where the puck was - media calls it a ‘weird olay’ but truth it’s it’s only weird because the goalie doesn’t know where the puck is which should never ever happen

One thing Soggard and Korpisalo have in common is they don’t seem to have the ability to concentrate for 60 minutes. They have really soft sequences where they look desperate and overwhelmed and it’s not a winning look

Reactions: gab6511

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m still high on Sogaard but I have been consistent in saying he needs to stay in Belleville until Forsberg’s contract is up at the end of next year.

Reactions: gab6511

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He needs to have at least one full AHL season where he dominates (like he was doing). Hopefully he goes back soon and doesn't lose a beat. Confidence might be affected though, exactly what I apprehended

It's not about what he wants, it's about what is good for him long term, like when you raise a kid

Ottawa has been a goalie GRAVEYARD for 7 seasons now. Sogaard just turned 23 y/o, which is still pretty young for a goalie. He had 0.889 SV% and 3.32 GAA last season and the team was playing much much better in front of him. If he comes in and has worse stats, do you think it would help building some confidence or it could affect him like it has affected EVERY goalie who has played here in the last 7 seasons?

We still need to figure out TEAM DEFENSE, might as well use guys that are already paid (Korpisalo, Forsberg) or a goalie who is not in long term plans (Mandolese) until we do.
ok this is a valid response, as long as we don't run with him again like we did last season, I'm ok with it

I just hope people's expectations are very low if he posts 3.32 GAA and 0.883 SV% again. Don't judge him as a prospect based on that

We have been throwing young players to the wolves the whole Dorion's rebuild, can't say it has paid off well so far...

These posts were from before the call-up

Only 164:56 minutes played but 5.09 GAA and 0.825 SV%

Can't say it was a successful call up, which is why I thought it wasn't a good idea.

IMO can't afford to put him in for another game this season

I’m still high on Sogaard but I have been consistent in saying he needs to stay in Belleville until Forsberg’s contract is up at the end of next year.

Absolutely, you have to take the long road with most goalies. The NHL is not an easy league to play in.

Last edited:
Reactions: otown

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I saw an article that said since the late 80s, early 90s the average height of goaltenders went from 5'11 1/2 to 6'4". Skaters only went up 1 1/2". It might have been the Athletic. This next part are my thoughts. After the first lock out teams started drafting smaller skilled skaters because of the rule crack down. Goalies got bigger though. That may have been due to the crack down on goalie equipement. Before skill was taking a backseat to size in skaters. Maybe the same is happening with goalies now. A skilled goalie at 6' goes undrafted for others who are 6'2" + and less skilled. This might also account for goalies playing less games per season. Their size and the rigours of the position won't physicaly allow it.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For what it's worth, Bishop had similarly bad numbers at the NHL level at the same age.

There's definitely work to be done before he's ready, idk why but he's looked better in the limited AHL games I've seen, might be a confidence thing idk.
I mean Bishop was not nearly as fundamentally flawed as Soogard. His structure and his disciplin in his technique, movement and style is not remotely close to NHL. I dont even think its AHL but he is big and athletic so he gets by. He needs years and years of work. He also needs to improve on tracking and his hockey sense, like big time. Which isnt really something you can teach

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
he seems to lose pucks all the time. Two games in a row he had no idea where the puck was - media calls it a ‘weird olay’ but truth it’s it’s only weird because the goalie doesn’t know where the puck is which should never ever happen

One thing Soggard and Korpisalo have in common is they don’t seem to have the ability to concentrate for 60 minutes. They have really soft sequences where they look desperate and overwhelmed and it’s not a winning look
He has had 3 very bizarre goals go against him and the one last game was really a bad bounce with a johny on the spot Pred ready to put it home.

The Tomasino goal was, uh...interesting. Good for him to be so flexible but how in the heck does a guy that size leave the entire upper part of the net open on the short side?

He seemed to over play the puck on the 3rd goal, leaving the net open for the deflection.

Lots of time though. We just need an established goalie to play well for us and stop the shots you expect an NHL goalie to stop, until some of our young guys season a bit more.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He needs to have at least one full AHL season where he dominates (like he was doing). Hopefully he goes back soon and doesn't lose a beat. Confidence might be affected though, exactly what I apprehended

These posts were from before the call-up

Only 164:56 minutes played but 5.09 GAA and 0.825 SV%

Can't say it was a successful call up, which is why I thought it wasn't a good idea.

IMO can't afford to put him in for another game this season

Absolutely, you have to take the long road with most goalies. The NHL is not an easy league to play in.
He has had massive amounts of regression since last season. I simply do not see it. He's the opposite of Gustavsson. Who is incredibly technically sound and disciplin in his style while also being patient. I cant believe that staff looked at these two players and thought it made Gus expendable. Its a mind bogglingly bad evaluation.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He has had massive amounts of regression since last season. I simply do not see it. He's the opposite of Gustavsson. Who is incredibly technically sound and disciplin in his style while also being patient. I cant believe that staff looked at these two players and thought it made Gus expendable. Its a mind bogglingly bad evaluation.

Well, we know a LOT of things went wrong during Dorion's tenure.

Our goaltending last year should have been Forsberg - Gustavsson - Sogaard - Merilainen - Mandolese and then we'd have extended Gus (for cheaper since his numbers wouldn't have been as a good as they were in Minny) but still have that pipeline this year. Maybe sign a veteran goalie in the AHL so it doesn't have to be Sogaard/Merilainen getting called up

That being said, don't give up too quick on Sogaard, the guy has the size and athlecism to still end up in a good goalie. He'll need the coaching and mental fortitude though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad