Speculation: Madison Bowey

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would be. Means we scored two goals :D
If he has 2G 2A and still goes -2, we'd have to score 6 unless they put him on the PP. Stranger things have happened, so I will not rule it out. Bobby Ryan probably scores all 6, lol.

Good for Bowey, though I still think he should be a forward.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago signed Bowey yesterday.

Seems to be that they are trying to TANK harder against us.
From skimming the Trade thread people made it sound like they were signing him so they could expose him in the expansion draft.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
lol

Love it. I mean, he'll probably have some nonsensical, stupid amount of success in Chicago, but the guy is just. so. bad. Lucks himself into points and is a minefield in his own end. Certainly inspiring to other hockey players who shouldn't be in the league but might squeak in for a while.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
lol

Love it. I mean, he'll probably have some nonsensical, stupid amount of success in Chicago, but the guy is just. so. bad. Lucks himself into points and is a minefield in his own end. Certainly inspiring to other hockey players who shouldn't be in the league but might squeak in for a while.
Whut? He can actually shoot and has put up points everywhere he's played. His defense unfortunately consists entirely of chasing the puck, regardless of where the puck goes.

He's got the size, speed, and good enough puck skills to be an NHLer, it's his decision making process on both offense and defense that's the issue. I don't think he squeaked in, both the Caps and WIngs were hoping for something to click upstairs but it never happened. The lowest hockey IQ I've seen in quite a while, and oddly it seemed to get lower with more games.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Whut? He can actually shoot and has put up points everywhere he's played. His defense unfortunately consists entirely of chasing the puck, regardless of where the puck goes.

He's got the size, speed, and good enough puck skills to be an NHLer, it's his decision making process on both offense and defense that's the issue. I don't think he squeaked in, both the Caps and WIngs were hoping for something to click upstairs but it never happened. The lowest hockey IQ I've seen in quite a while, and oddly it seemed to get lower with more games.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that Bowey should not have been given a shot in the NHL, based on his resume up to that point. I get the hope among clubs that he would take the next step. I'm just arguing about Bowey's actual NHL performance.

Bowey is a very good skater, and when he could manage not to turn the puck over in his own end, he could often successfully transport it through the neutral zone. I say he lucks himself into points because there was a stretch last season when 3 or 4 assists in a row literally had nothing to do with the goal that was scored, other than the puck having touched his stick and he didn't turn it over. They were all great individual plays by the Detroit goal scorers.

And beyond that, he just doesn't do anything remarkable offensively. His shooting is average at best, the puck is far too often a hand grenade when it's on his stick (though that does seem to manifest much more frequently in his own end than the offensive zone), and he has little patience when possessing it. For these reasons, his puck skills come across as poor. His career scoring rate is very similar to DDK, and I don't see many people describe DDK as someone who puts up points.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His shooting is average at best, the puck is far too often a hand grenade when it's on his stick (though that does seem to manifest much more frequently in his own end than the offensive zone), and he has little patience when possessing it. For these reasons, his puck skills come across as poor. His career scoring rate is very similar to DDK, and I don't see many people describe DDK as someone who puts up points.
The one thing he does well is cycle the puck. It's not Blash's system though, I haven't seen a cycle since DLR left. It's also why I think he should've been a forward.

DDK got points because he was the #1D on this crap team so he gets ice time with MLB. Not to mention if Bowey connects with a stretch pass he did something right, so I wouldn't call it completely random.

I had high hopes for him along with most Caps fans, but he's got astonishingly low hockey IQ. It's not even his play with the puck that bothered me, it was his defense. He was so far out of position chasing teh puck that his partner couldn't figure out what to do. What's strange is that it doesn't show on his stats, at least not basic stats.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The one thing he does well is cycle the puck. It's not Blash's system though, I haven't seen a cycle since DLR left. It's also why I think he should've been a forward.

DDK got points because he was the #1D on this crap team so he gets ice time with MLB. Not to mention if Bowey connects with a stretch pass he did something right, so I wouldn't call it completely random.

I had high hopes for him along with most Caps fans, but he's got astonishingly low hockey IQ. It's not even his play with the puck that bothered me, it was his defense. He was so far out of position chasing teh puck that his partner couldn't figure out what to do. What's strange is that it doesn't show on his stats, at least not basic stats.

We agree more than disagree I think. I just believe he's even worse than you do. I think you give him too much credit, offensively. Positing that you think he should have been made a forward kinda reinforces that I think. It's about one in a thousand where the right call for an NHL player is to be a forward instead of a defenseman, or a defenseman instead of a forward. That kinda switch is a real rarity. More often, it's a sign that a player just sucks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We agree more than disagree I think. I just believe he's even worse than you do. I think you give him too much credit, offensively. Positing that you think he should have been made a forward kinda reinforces that I think. It's about one in a thousand where the right call for an NHL player is to be a forward instead of a defenseman, or a defenseman instead of a forward. That kinda switch is a real rarity. More often, it's a sign that a player just sucks.
Yup, we agree for the most part except I watched him play for the Caps quite a bit, and he has the ability to cycle the puck really well. He plays the boards well in the O-zone and wins puck battles. His potential is a 3rd line forward, so it's not like I'm talking him up that much.

He's got NHL level physical ability so a team was bound to give him another shot, then they'll figure out he's got the hockey IQ of a mite and he'll get cut again.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad