Speculation: Madison Bowey

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At this point, I'm not sure why we wouldn't sigh Bowey if for nothing else than to try to pump his tires a bit and deal him later in the season or next year. Burying Lindstrom in GR for half a season wouldn't be a big deal, and we'll likely have injuries/trades opening up room as the season goes anyway.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At this point, I'm not sure why we wouldn't sigh Bowey if for nothing else than to try to pump his tires a bit and deal him later in the season or next year. Burying Lindstrom in GR for half a season wouldn't be a big deal, and we'll likely have injuries/trades opening up room as the season goes anyway.
Bowey has no trade value, he cleared waivers once. Still I think he's worth qualifying with a 2 way deal (because min QO is $1.1M and a one way deal would mean a cap hit).

I would send both Ehn and Bowey down to GR and have Bowey try RW and Ehn try LHD. Both have NHL level physical abilities, Bowey can't play D and Ehn can't score.... but they're both decent skaters with size and strength. Give them both 2 years and if it doesn't work out then no big deal...

Reactions: lilidk

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I don't have much confidence that if they bring him back (for like one year) that he'll be much better than he was this season, and will eventually be sent back down to GR or get traded. So what Steve does with Bowey is fine with me either way.

I'll worry if they start giving him top pairing minutes and matchup situations that are above his capability and not do anything once he starts to struggle, which I fully expect him to. I have no faith he'll ever be an NHL defenseman.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don’t want to see Lindstrom in GR. He’s done his time and deserves a spot. Time to get rid of some dead weight and bring up Seider also.
Bowey actually finished 7th in points on the team.... He scored more goals than Abby, Erne, Perlini, and Ehn. Those 4 are the deadweight that need to be gone, I think Bowey could easily be a better forward than those (low bar though).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don’t want to see Lindstrom in GR. He’s done his time and deserves a spot. Time to get rid of some dead weight and bring up Seider also.

What exactly has Lindstrom proved to DESERVE anything?
Next year we're going to have Hronek, Cholowski and probably Seider.
I don't think we can reasonably add Lindstrom to that mix without creating another death spiral of mistakes and bad goals.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What exactly has Lindstrom proved to DESERVE anything?
Next year we're going to have Hronek, Cholowski and probably Seider.
I don't think we can reasonably add Lindstrom to that mix without creating another death spiral of mistakes and bad goals.
Cholo needs to start in GR. I agree that Lindstrom hasn't proven anything yet, but Cholo has proven that he can't process the game at NHL speed (unless it's pre-season speed).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bowey has no trade value, he cleared waivers once. Still I think he's worth qualifying with a 2 way deal (because min QO is $1.1M and a one way deal would mean a cap hit).

I would send both Ehn and Bowey down to GR and have Bowey try RW and Ehn try LHD. Both have NHL level physical abilities, Bowey can't play D and Ehn can't score.... but they're both decent skaters with size and strength. Give them both 2 years and if it doesn't work out then no big deal...

So did Jensen. We can bury him and the majority of his contract at $1.1m w/o the offer being two-way. If he's willing to sign a year or two at that amount, I wouldn't worry about the bit we'd have to carry against the cap if it makes signing him easier. And, frankly, the Wings are unlikely to have the sort of cap issues where it would make it a problem.

I'd leave both guys at their current positions and let them sink or swim. I think it's too late in their careers to effectively make those type of switches, so just send them out there and hope they can take that next step at the positions they are accustomed to playing.

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

It depends.
Here's who you know you have on the right side.
1. Hronek.
It immediately gets murky after that.
2?. Seider. If he plays, and I think there's probably a 50/50 chance he starts with the team, then Seider is plays right side
-----------------
So if those are your top 2 defensemen on the right side, can you really afford Bowey? Lindstrom? Biega? Any of those 3 as your 3rd RD?
Don't you owe it your team to get a veteran to help those guys? To play some of the hard minutes?

I can see signing Bowey as a plan B option. You can make him the 7D or even waiver wire him if Seider makes the squad. That said, you've also got McIlrath and Biega. And Lindstrom. I don't see any pressing reason, for or against, signing Bowey.

Regardless of whether or not Seider makes the team, I think you need a competent veteran RD or you're asking for Hronek to get murdered.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It depends.
Here's who you know you have on the right side.
1. Hronek.
It immediately gets murky after that.
2?. Seider. If he plays, and I think there's probably a 50/50 chance he starts with the team, then Seider is plays right side
-----------------
So if those are your top 2 defensemen on the right side, can you really afford Bowey? Lindstrom? Biega? Any of those 3 as your 3rd RD?
Don't you owe it your team to get a veteran to help those guys? To play some of the hard minutes?

I can see signing Bowey as a plan B option. You can make him the 7D or even waiver wire him if Seider makes the squad. That said, you've also got McIlrath and Biega. And Lindstrom. I don't see any pressing reason, for or against, signing Bowey.

Regardless of whether or not Seider makes the team, I think you need a competent veteran RD or you're asking for Hronek to get murdered.

Looking over the list of RD, and I'm not sure where we can expect to grab one. The best ones I can see us have a shot at are Vatanan and Tanev. We'd all want Pietrangelo but, well, yeah. I have a hard time seeing that happening. And I don't see Barrie as a guy who'll take a contract we want to give for the player that he is. Get a guy like Engelland who can be a 6/7 guy and eat some PK minutes, and rotate in and out with Bowey.

The guys we need to step up and take the load off the right side is going to have to be the forwards and their D partners. I have faith in Nemeth being a steady partner for Seider on the 2nd pair. If Dekeyser can come back and be solid, I don't think he's a bad pair with Hronek.

I know you're not a fan of going after him, or you haven't been in the past, but I think Krug can make sense here. He drives possession, and can shoulder a lot of the puck moving load on a pair - something that I think would work well with Seider right now. But it could also stunt his offense development if he's not moving the puck up himself.

I think this upcoming season is going to end up being nearly as bad as this one, though. I wouldn't be against starting the year running Hronek/Bowey/Biega out there with the hope of at least one of them making himself look like a trade piece by mid-season. Same up front. Keep the guys who are out of options, but run with a lot of the crap we ran with this year. Look to make some moves around halfway through, and then bring the kids up.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Looking over the list of RD, and I'm not sure where we can expect to grab one. The best ones I can see us have a shot at are Vatanan and Tanev. We'd all want Pietrangelo but, well, yeah. I have a hard time seeing that happening. And I don't see Barrie as a guy who'll take a contract we want to give for the player that he is. Get a guy like Engelland who can be a 6/7 guy and eat some PK minutes, and rotate in and out with Bowey.

The guys we need to step up and take the load off the right side is going to have to be the forwards and their D partners. I have faith in Nemeth being a steady partner for Seider on the 2nd pair. If Dekeyser can come back and be solid, I don't think he's a bad pair with Hronek.

I know you're not a fan of going after him, or you haven't been in the past, but I think Krug can make sense here. He drives possession, and can shoulder a lot of the puck moving load on a pair - something that I think would work well with Seider right now. But it could also stunt his offense development if he's not moving the puck up himself.

I think this upcoming season is going to end up being nearly as bad as this one, though. I wouldn't be against starting the year running Hronek/Bowey/Biega out there with the hope of at least one of them making himself look like a trade piece by mid-season. Same up front. Keep the guys who are out of options, but run with a lot of the crap we ran with this year. Look to make some moves around halfway through, and then bring the kids up.

Gudas.
Nemeth-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholo-Gudas
Every young kid has a veteran helping them out. Both offensive D have a defensive guy to help them.

Gudas is a perfect guy.
You can plug him in as 2nd/3rd pairing. You can use him on the PK.
He adds some toughness and meanness. He's one of the hardest hitters in the NHL.
His offense is underrated (.91/60 is better than Hronek).
He won't break the bank.

I think we owe it to the young guys on the team to improve.
In my opinion, another season like this would say really awful things about Yzerman's management ability.

Krug is going to be so expensive. He'd help the PP, but at the expense of Hronek and developing Cholo/Seider in those roles.
I just don't see a lot of upside in bringing in a pint-sized 29 year old who's a negative +/- guy on a really good team.
And Krug relegates Cholowski to the AHL for the year. Is that we're counting on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would rather ice someone new and take a gamble on potential. I think we all know Bowey does not have much more growth and his ceiling seems kinda low.

Let's take advantage of the lack of pressure to win and rotate some players for every Erne and Perlini we might find a Fabbri

I also don't mind the suggestions of moving him to Forward and scratch someone like Abby.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
With Bowey as a pending RFA we have a good amount of flexibility. From a numbers perspective I see him as the odd man out but a good fall back option. Ultimatley its a discussion on our appetite to bring in a UFA or give the young prospects a shot. As I see it, in 2020 - 2021 we will have 3 locks in Dekeyser, Hronek & Nemeth.

In the mix (signed for next season but not guaranteed roster spot):
Lindstrom: Good showing this season but inexperienced & still has waiver options.
Biega: Resigned but given salary he can be carried as a 6th/7th/8th dman or buried. He would need to be exposed to waivers to go down to the AHL
Cholowski: Offensively skilled but lacks compete level to really stick in the NHL. Next year will be last year without waiver eligibiliity
Seider: Great year in the AHL. Might start there again

Long shots & other depth
McIsaac: Even if he looks good, age and experience puts him behind everyone else
Lashoff, Hicketts, Wood, McIlrath, etc.

Overall I didn't mind Bowey but resigning him would kill a lot of opportunity to bring in a UFA. Barrie would be a great upgrade on Bowey but his interest and cost (salary and term) might kill the possibility. Next I'd look at Schultz (2 years) & Tanev (3 Years). Other options I would consider would include: Hamonic, Ceci, Edmundson, etc. I am excluding Pietrangelo as an option but I would very much be interested in bringing him in. If we cant get an upgrade from UFA I would settle for Bowey

Could be looking at something like:
Dekeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Schultz/Tanev
Cholowski/Biega - Lindstrom

Seider starts in the AHL and progresses up with injuries and/or Nemeth/Beiga being shipped out/demoted late/mid-season. (Side note: I'd love to see a McIsaac/Seider pairing in the early parts of the AHL)

Our defense would still be a work in progress but to me this is a nice balance between flexibility and opportunity for development without exposing our young, inexperienced dmen too much.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Gudas.
Nemeth-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholo-Gudas
Every young kid has a veteran helping them out. Both offensive D have a defensive guy to help them.

Gudas is a perfect guy.
You can plug him in as 2nd/3rd pairing. You can use him on the PK.
He adds some toughness and meanness. He's one of the hardest hitters in the NHL.
His offense is underrated (.91/60 is better than Hronek).
He won't break the bank.

I think we owe it to the young guys on the team to improve.
In my opinion, another season like this would say really awful things about Yzerman's management ability.

Krug is going to be so expensive. He'd help the PP, but at the expense of Hronek and developing Cholo/Seider in those roles.
I just don't see a lot of upside in bringing in a pint-sized 29 year old who's a negative +/- guy on a really good team.
And Krug relegates Cholowski to the AHL for the year. Is that we're counting on?

I like the Gudas idea.

Krug would be great, don't think the contract would. So I kinda agree, but he's very intriguing for this team.

I'm not worried about Cholowski's development, unless Detroit doesn't trade him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
LOL.
I agree.
But I'll be honest. I thought Hronek, particularly over the last 30-40 games, was guilty about as much as anyone.
For all the talk about Cholo's inept defensive play - his defense was no worse than Hronek's or Bowey's. The weird thing about Cholo is that 1) he can't produce at 5 on 5. and 2) The team can't score when he's on the ice.

Like, Here's my REAL grade for the Wings vs what seems like consensus.
Offensively
player Real vs consensus
Cholo F vs C or B-
Hronek B vs A
Bowey B+ vs C
Daley C vs F
Biega F vs C-
Green D- vs B
Nemeth D vs D

And now defense
player real vs consensus
Nemeth B vs B
Green C- vs D
Cholo C- vs F
Bowey F vs F
Hronek D- vs C+
Daley F vs D

Cholo's defense was disastrous at times. He has real problems reading the play, closing gaps, and position. Hronek was much better than him on all account. Not worlds better, but definitely better. Also' Bowey's offense wasn't a B+. It was a B- at best. And definitely not better than Hronek's

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So did Jensen. We can bury him and the majority of his contract at $1.1m w/o the offer being two-way. If he's willing to sign a year or two at that amount, I wouldn't worry about the bit we'd have to carry against the cap if it makes signing him easier. And, frankly, the Wings are unlikely to have the sort of cap issues where it would make it a problem.

I'd leave both guys at their current positions and let them sink or swim. I think it's too late in their careers to effectively make those type of switches, so just send them out there and hope they can take that next step at the positions they are accustomed to playing.
Jensen also played first pair D for the Wings, I don't see Bowey doing that even if every D got injured, lol. Sometimes players improve enough in the AHL after clearing waivers to be a legit NHLer, but most of the time you're looking at someone like Biega.

$1.1M may not impact the salary cap, but it still comes out of Chris' pocket, and the team is losing money right now. Of course, it doesn't impact me at all if he chooses to give him a one way, I just don't see a need to do that for a player that's cleared waivers.

Teaching Bowey how to play D is probably harder than teaching him to play RW because he has no clue how to defend. If it's too late for him to learn how to play D.... besides, cane he possibly be any worse than Abby?

Ehn is probably a lost cause though.... not the end of the world, but seems like such a waste considering his size, skating, and physical abilities.

Also, I don't see Cholo being full time next season. He doesn't process the game fast enough, always one step behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad