Mad at DD on the first line? Dale Weise it! MTL 6-2 NJ

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Seeing how Therrien/Bergevin are pulling up forwards from Hamilton to give them a chance to play for the Habs, maybe its time to do the same with our D.

As said earlier, give Gonchar a few games of rest and pull up Drewiske and Tinordi to give them some games with the Habs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seeing how Therrien/Bergevin are pulling up forwards from Hamilton to give them a chance to play for the Habs, maybe its time to do the same with our D.

As said earlier, give Gonchar a few games of rest and pull up Drewiske and Tinordi to give them some games with the Habs.

I still don't get what they are doing with the recent call ups, but I think it would be a bad ideal to play Drewiske or Tinordi over Gonchar even though getting him some rest would be good, who takes his spot on the PP? The Habs are in such a dog fight for top spot in the east, so points mean so much. Then again I would have never called up Thomas or DLR and Bournival imo should be in the AHL.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I still don't get what they are doing with the recent call ups, but I think it would be a bad ideal to play Drewiske or Tinordi over Gonchar even though getting him some rest would be good, who takes his spot on the PP? The Habs are in such a dog fight for top spot in the east, so points mean so much. Then again I would have never called up Thomas or DLR and Bournival imo should be in the AHL.

For me it's just a matter of seeing what they got in their own backyard before going ahead and trade for pieces they may already have in hand.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
like I said, no one can take his minutes, Hamilton included. I don't see Tinordi coming in and doing a better job. We sorely need Gonchar for the 2nd PP unit, while the PP has shown life of late it's a major concern for the playoffs if we don't get some help as no one outside of Subban/Markov can put the puck in the net from the blueline.

You're right on that, obviously if someone in Hamilton could take Gonchar's minutes, I assume he would be doing so already. What I meant is it's fine even if whoever is called up does an inferior job compared to Gonchar, as he will need this rest if he wants to keep being effective enough during playoffs. We're technically qualified for the playoffs, so it's fine letting the vets rest a little while giving our prospects a shot in the meantime.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
its pretty incredible that galchenyuk was ALL over the ice, seemed to be in the thick of most of the dangerous plays or plays that led to goals and he gets 0 points

and desharnais plays a pretty mediocre game (im being nice) and gets 3 points... its just not fair lol..
You play the game with the best players and you'll wind up with some points just by virtue of being there. Last night was one of those times.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I mentioned Gonchar specifically because of his age. Emelin could be rotated out. So could Gilbert and Beaulieu.

I would hate for the Habs to rely on Tinordi or Drewiske being called up to play in the playoffs if anything bad happens to one of our DMen.......without having them played any games recently in Montreal.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
You play the game with the best players and you'll wind up with some points just by virtue of being there. Last night was one of those times.

This is bull and you know it, because DD often took a hit or took someone out of the play and gave space to Weise and Maxpac.

You guys make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For me it's just a matter of seeing what they got in their own backyard before going ahead and trade for pieces they may already have in hand.

For a team that's fighting for 1st in the conference though, can't say it makes a lot of sense since these are prospects that haven't been doing well in the AHL. The one prospect that is putting up numbers they don't call up. But not only that they keep putting guys like Thomas, Bournival out there when this team needs goals so badly.

You're right on that, obviously if someone in Hamilton could take Gonchar's minutes, I assume he would be doing so already. What I meant is it's fine even if whoever is called up does an inferior job compared to Gonchar, as he will need this rest if he wants to keep being effective enough during playoffs. We're technically qualified for the playoffs, so it's fine letting the vets rest a little while giving our prospects a shot in the meantime.

Well hopefully they make a move to bring in some help cause it would suck if we bring up someone from Hamilton and end up losing a few games which could impact us come playoff time. It's sad state when you need Gonchar so badly but we have zero offense outside the rest of our D not named Subban/Markov. If Nygren wasn't injured that would have been the obvious choice since he could fill in on the PP and the Habs could use his big point shot.

I mentioned Gonchar specifically because of his age. Emelin could be rotated out. So could Gilbert and Beaulieu.

I would hate for the Habs to rely on Tinordi or Drewiske being called up to play in the playoffs if anything bad happens to one of our DMen.......without having them played any games recently in Montreal.

If we need Tinordi or Drewiske in the playoffs we are in big trouble regardless if they have played in any NHL games recently or not. I hope they wouldn't go that route when points are so important but I do agree getting Gonchar some rest, especially with a heavy schedule next month (I believe, don't feel like looking it up) but that's why I stress that management needs to make a move or two and the sooner the better.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
For a team that's fighting for 1st in the conference though, can't say it makes a lot of sense since these are prospects that haven't been doing well in the AHL. The one prospect that is putting up numbers they don't call up. But not only that they keep putting guys like Thomas, Bournival out there when this team needs goals so badly.

Well hopefully they make a move to bring in some help cause it would suck if we bring up someone from Hamilton and end up losing a few games which could impact us come playoff time. It's sad state when you need Gonchar so badly but we have zero offense outside the rest of our D not named Subban/Markov. If Nygren wasn't injured that would have been the obvious choice since he could fill in on the PP and the Habs could use his big point shot.

If we need Tinordi or Drewiske in the playoffs we are in big trouble regardless if they have played in any NHL games recently or not. I hope they wouldn't go that route when points are so important but I do agree getting Gonchar some rest, especially with a heavy schedule next month (I believe, don't feel like looking it up) but that's why I stress that management needs to make a move or two and the sooner the better.

I'm OK with Bergevin going to the playoffs with our present D corps.

I hope he spends all of his time, effort and available assets getting offensive help.

Great points made by you.:)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The thing that impresses me the most with Gonchar is how good his outlet passes still are. You literally NEVER see him miss one to get out of the D zone, even when he's under pressure. He makes his mind quickly too . You can have a very long career in the pros as a D if you can manage that, even if you do little else.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing that impresses me the most with Gonchar is how good his outlet passes still are. You literally NEVER see him miss one to get out of the D zone, even when he's under pressure. He makes his mind quickly too . You can have a very long career in the pros as a D if you can manage that, even if you do little else.
He's been really impressive. I didn't understand what MB was thinking when he signed him but he's been very good for us. I wouldn't mind extending him for another year.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
He's been really impressive. I didn't understand what MB was thinking when he signed him but he's been very good for us. I wouldn't mind extending him for another year.

I've been saying that too. His age never bothered me, the way some of these guys take care of themselves. I've mentioned extending him in other threads, assuming that they can agree on a cap-friendly price.

This was a very good exercise in buying low in trades, at which MB is becoming pretty skilled. Some of these trades have really helped transform the team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm OK with Bergevin going to the playoffs with our present D corps.

I hope he spends all of his time, effort and available assets getting offensive help.

Great points made by you.:)

I think it's ok if we go into the playoffs with the current group, but the lack of scoring outside of Subban and Markov will hurt but I agree we need offensive help up front just that imo while we need a top 6 scoring threat more, a scoring defensemen would also really help our chances to go far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad