Mad at DD on the first line? Dale Weise it! MTL 6-2 NJ

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What's great is he wasn't drafted to crack the top 6, he's going to be a perfect third liner, and for once its a good thing

Until people start whining about him being inconsistent offensively and not scoring 40+ points without PP time.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
I keep saying this but Gonchar was a great pickup for the Habs. He's been pretty steady and has really helped Beaulieu with his game. In 34 games played he's had 1G - 11A and is +7.

Not bad for a guy Stars fans said was finished and couldn't play defense when the trade went down.

Yep I'm eating crow on Gonchar big time.

I thought he was finished and it was just trash for trash.

Not that Moen was trash really just redundant on the roster.

He was a stalwart PK'er and generally good man.

Gonchar really brings a lot of smarts to his position.

His rocket blast clear high off the glass on a split second decision after Gilbert broke his stick on the PK was great.

Savvy vet move.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
...so anyone disagree that Gilbert was by far the worst Hab on the ice tonite??...

I thought Gilbert played alright.

One time I singled him out for making a bad pass but I really think ol Gilby is good at disrupting a forecheck with a quick poke or slipping in on body position on a guy.

There's zero flash to his game but I like it.

Prust was the worst for my money tonight.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I thought Gilbert played alright.

One time I singled him out for making a bad pass but I really think ol Gilby is good at disrupting a forecheck with a quick poke or slipping in on body position on a guy.

There's zero flash to his game but I like it.

Prust was the worst for my money tonight.
Gilbert didn't look bad except that time when he tripped on the blue line and allowed one of the worst team in the league a golden scoring chance and Jacob Josef-who buried it. That's unacceptable. Prust was ok.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
To be fair, Higgins did have some solid seasons with the Habs. He got too cocky (i.e interview where he said he could score 40 goals) and got some shoulder problems that hurt him.

I'd take him back on our team if we could get him for like a third rounder.

I really do believe injuries played a role in his decline, at least in his offensive decline.

The other injury that I seem to remember was when Colin white shoved Higgins off balance and he went flying into the boards. I believe the end result was a high ankle sprain, and he was on the shelf for a really long time.

Higgins was a pretty fast skater, but I thought there was an element of reckless abandon to go along with it that ended up costing him.

But it was fun while it lasted. He looked like a great fit with koivu at his peak.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Read my posts.

I dont want any undersized players on this roster other than Gallagher.

Ship out DD, Andrighetto, Thomas, Dumont, Reway, Lekhonen tomorrow and I would be extremely happy that the Habs are making progress.

Uh -- have you ever actually watched what are sometimes called ice hockey games? You do know that there is zero correlation between the physical size of a roster and its success? And that bigger has demonstrably nothing to do with being better? http://grantland.com/features/fast-small-vs-slow-big-ice/
If the well established facts in the case don't convince you, try common sense: last spring a big, tough team took on a smaller, quicker team. One team was called the Boston Bruins. The other team was called the Montreal Canadiens. You'd be surprised by the result.
Shame the size-gogglers weren't around in the glory years. They could have shipped out Yvan Cournoyer ,too. No need for a smurf like that!

Remember how the Sens ran us out of the rink year before in playoffs, or Rangers had no fear taking liberties with Price. Team has to have a balance

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Apparently, according to a video posted (Weise I think it was who said), they had some of their hardest practices of the season this week. Maybe they need more of that?

Those hard practices were the games against Buffalo and Arizona.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm another one who's surprised at how well Gonchar's playing. In retrospect it makes sense. Habs play a less physical, more positional defensive game than most teams. That fits Gonchar's strengths - he knows where to be and isn't expected to crash into forwards.

Now let's start seeing some defensemen called up to give Gonchar a rest and give Tinordi, Pateryn or Nygren a look.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Remember how the Sens ran us out of the rink year before in playoffs, or Rangers had no fear taking liberties with Price. Team has to have a balance

The **** are you talking about? That has nothing to do with size. The Habs could have easily done that to Lundqvist and there would have been no response by the rangers. Who is tougher than prust on their team? Terrible example.

Using the Rangers to prove a point on size is laughable. They had small players too like Zucs, St. Louis, Hagelin and soft defensemen like Staal and Stralman in their top 4.

They play a canadiens brand of hockey, but they just played it better than us. Kreider wouldn't have stopped running the goalie even if Chara was on the team. He does it all the time.

The Ottawa series went out of wack because White cheap shotted a guy and looked for trouble, which obviously the habs couldnt respond to. If they stuck to da plan, and white didn't look for trouble, there would have been nothing embarrassing about the series besides losing in 5.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I'm another one who's surprised at how well Gonchar's playing. In retrospect it makes sense. Habs play a less physical, more positional defensive game than most teams. That fits Gonchar's strengths - he knows where to be and isn't expected to crash into forwards.

Now let's start seeing some defensemen called up to give Gonchar a rest and give Tinordi, Pateryn or Nygren a look.

agreed on this, enough with the thomas dude, and let's rest makov/gonchar

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Dale is such a weird player. He'll show so much skill, then derpcity. The way he deked out most of the devils was amazing

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Dale is such a weird player. He'll show so much skill, then derpcity. The way he deked out most of the devils was amazing

Which makes him an excellent 4th liner. I'm happy for him that he got the odd great game yesterday, but it is STILL absolutely ridiculous to have Weise on the 1st line and Sekac on the 4th line. Prust-Dumont-Weise is a crazy good hard hitting 4th line imo.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The **** are you talking about? That has nothing to do with size. The Habs could have easily done that to Lundqvist and there would have been no response by the rangers. Who is tougher than prust on their team? Terrible example.

Using the Rangers to prove a point on size is laughable. They had small players too like Zucs, St. Louis, Hagelin and soft defensemen like Staal and Stralman in their top 4.

They play a canadiens brand of hockey, but they just played it better than us. Kreider wouldn't have stopped running the goalie even if Chara was on the team. He does it all the time.

The Ottawa series went out of wack because White cheap shotted a guy and looked for trouble, which obviously the habs couldnt respond to. If they stuck to da plan, and white didn't look for trouble, there would have been nothing embarrassing about the series besides losing in 5.
Sens series went south after Eller got his face smashed in. Kreider had no fear of running Price because nobody on Habs to say boo to him. Notice there never was any retaliation.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Guys anyone out there has a gif or video of Galchenyuk controlling a pass in his skates and bringing it from between his legs ? First or second period i believe

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Why is it I have a feeling Gonchar will keep playing 20mins/game until the end of season, then get teared up during playoffs?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
its pretty incredible that galchenyuk was ALL over the ice, seemed to be in the thick of most of the dangerous plays or plays that led to goals and he gets 0 points

and desharnais plays a pretty mediocre game (im being nice) and gets 3 points... its just not fair lol..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why is it I have a feeling Gonchar will keep playing 20mins/game until the end of season, then get teared up during playoffs?

there's no one to take his minutes, Gilbert needs to play less not more and Subban is already the ice time leader for the Habs.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

the biggest thing about gonchar is hes playing on the RIGHT side..which is huge for us because it keeps us from playing both gilbert AND weaver at the same time which was killing us, it balances our WHOLE d corps, instead of having emelin there and just dying out there, emelin gets to play on the left where he's a bit better (tho still kind of questionable sometimes..)

while gonchar looks just fine for us out there playing on his offside and playing with the kid beaulieu to help mold him into a decent NHL defenseman, and honestly so far so good, Beaulieu is never going back to the minors, like ever. and gonchars a big part of that

(can you beleive we were once icing gilbert, weaver, allen and emelin all at the same time for a couple games?..im glad that was nipped in the butt sooner than later)

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
there's no one to take his minutes, Gilbert needs to play less not more and Subban is already the ice time leader for the Habs.

Not in MTL, but it would be interesting to see how some of our RHD in Hamilton would fare in the NHL. I'd even try Tinordi on his off side, if this could work, it would solve many problems.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not in MTL, but it would be interesting to see how some of our RHD in Hamilton would fare in the NHL. I'd even try Tinordi on his off side, if this could work, it would solve many problems.

like I said, no one can take his minutes, Hamilton included. I don't see Tinordi coming in and doing a better job. We sorely need Gonchar for the 2nd PP unit, while the PP has shown life of late it's a major concern for the playoffs if we don't get some help as no one outside of Subban/Markov can put the puck in the net from the blueline.

CanadianODST

Dec 17, 2014
We really need to give Bergevin and Gonchar credit, that was a great trade and Gonchar is playing surprisingly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad