Mactavish appreciation thread

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
premature thread.

Benoit signing has buyout all over it
Lightning fans were glad to get rid of Purcell.
Scrivens hasn't proven that he's a Starting Goaltender.
Fasth is a Back-up.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
I don't understand what he has done today that tambo didn't do before? Over paid bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defence.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
premature thread.

Fasth is a Back-up.

Yeah but after all the "You'll love this guy!" stuff we got from previous acquisitions I'm okay with that.

Besides, they just wanted cap space that they didn't even need.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Yeah, I'm really liking MacT's moves right now. Nothing too huge, but all of them are really solid and bring this team closer to competing. I like how he responded to a lack of offense last season by building three scoring lines. I like that he's targeted bigger players that still contribute to the team's strengths of speed and skill. I like that almost all of them have good advanced stats, and I like that all of them are able to play a sound possession game.

Also, don't look now, but the only players on the roster under 6'0" are Eberle, Yakupov, Ference, and Arcobello.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There's a sense of competency and understanding with MacTavish right now that makes me feel a hell of a lot better about the future of the team. He understands where the problem areas are and is defining them, outlying a plan to address them and making moves to improve it. We're at least clear of the vague PR run-around and intense non-action of the Tambellini era.

What will make this summer the best one for the Oilers in 8 years is whether or not they can acquire a 2C.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't understand what he has done today that tambo didn't do before? Over paid bottom 6 forwards and defence.

He acquired players to play roles that they have proven they can play, and we are putting them in positions that are less important than what they had before.

Before we saw that we had ****** Centers and just signed Belanger and just looked all gungho and impressed with ourselves and went home.

We acquired two players who have scored more than 40 points to play on our third line. Thats friggen great.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I don't understand what he has done today that tambo didn't do before? Over paid bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defence.

So you're saying that there's no difference in between these two groups?

Pouliot, Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, Gordon

or

Belanger, Eager, Barker, Hordichuk

The difference is clearer than day.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
So you're saying that there's no difference in between these two groups?

Pouliot, Fayne, Nikitin, Ference, Gordon

or

Belanger, Eager, Barker, Hordichuk

The difference is clearer than day.

There is a very obvious difference, but you could easily mesh those names around and still make your point.

The poster you're responding to isn't wrong, but I have faith that MacT did a little more homework with his pro scouting team than Tambo did. His pick ups in the past are either great analytic work, or blind luck, but 90% of his moves/trades/etc have worked.

GO MACT.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I am actually a MacT supporter, he wants to take the team in a direction I like. He is heavy into analytics, which I love. I hate the idea of building a truclent team of goons. This isnt 1985, hockey is about possession now. The more we have the puck, the more Hall and Yakupov can wire it, and the less they can dangle around us

His biggest mistakes were Gagner, Smid and Nikitin deals. So ill try and defend the deals

Gagner

Was actually extremly solid lock out season and looks to have finally broken out. Was a UFA this year, so not much trade value. Contract was too high. Then he gets his jaw busted and has a down year (which is not Macts fault). Gagner started to produce as the year went on

Smid- fell off a cliff, and someone continued to fall into a pit on the Flames. His possession numbers are atrocious. Maybe MacT knew Marincin would be better, maybe it was luck, but Marincin was a massive improvement. Nikitin has better possession numbers, but is signed for more

Niktin, overpay, but if you look at the Orpik deal, its actually pretty good relative to that. Nikitin is a solid bottom pairing, decent middle pairing guy, and only signed 2 years. It was unclear if we could have gotten Stralman (who is better and cheaper)

I also really liked MacTs 2013 draft, didnt like this one.

One of Scrivens/Fasth will be a starter and both were acquired for cheap.

Hendricks provides good depth.

Perron was a steal.

Fayne- love it

MacT hasnt stood pat, he has been extremely active and has yet to get torched. The only things I would like to see in the future is a 2c signed (or acquired via trade) and one of gernat/musil/simpson traded with a pick to a cap squeezed team for a vet player

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Fasth - backup goalie
Scrivens - backup goalie
Nikitin - over paid hopeful, bottom pairing on majority of teams
Ferrence - over paid + long term, bottom pairing
Fayne - good signing
Purcell - over paid hopeful
Pouliot - way over paid + way to long term for career 3rd liner at best
Gordon - over paid 4rth line center but solid
Perron - steal of a trade
Draisaitl - anyone could of drafted him

+ no center yet, if we start with Arco and Lander my as well call it a season.
+ over payed Gagner making is value an all time low
+ offered the worst contract to Clarskon, lucky he didn't accept
+ signed Anton belov, Jesse Joensuu, will acton, Denis Grebeshkov, Jason Labarbera.
+ got a 5th and 3rd for Hemsky
+ gave away smid for nothing
+ hired a rookie coach in the middle of a rebuild
+ tried keeping the worst assistant coaches

Gordon and Perron are awesome, Ference is overpaid but good character guy, great 3rd pairing....the rest are totally unknowns.

he addressed the assistant coaches, it may have been Eakins decision to keep the incumbent coaches the first year since they knew the players and he didn't, it may have been MacT's decision to ask him to reevaluate.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
There is a very obvious difference, but you could easily mesh those names around and still make your point.

The poster you're responding to isn't wrong, but I have faith that MacT did a little more homework with his pro scouting team than Tambo did. His pick ups in the past are either great analytic work, or blind luck, but 90% of his moves/trades/etc have worked.

GO MACT.

What do you mean by mesh the names?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Anyone notice during the portion of the presser TSN was showing, MacT stopped talking for a second, had his head down (looking at his phone?), and gritted his teeth? I hope something didn't fall through.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What do you mean by mesh the names?

They're all in the same category of players, outside of Hordichuk who brings down the latter group. That group being depth, who have shown what they can do in the past and are brought in to do it here. Tambo's group didn't, and that's why it looks as bad as it does. Tambo and pro scouting group are to blame for that.

But yeah, both lists contain "those" type of players. No "big name" guys.

That said, with MacT's performance, willing that we're all allowed to forget LaBarbera, with depth signings or trades have worked out well.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Such a difference between Steve 'sit on his hands' Tambellini and Craig 'wheeler and dealer' MacTavish. Hard to imagine what this club would look like still under Tambo.

I'm liking the size, skating, and scoring abilities that Pouliot and Purcell can add to our 3rd line. I like the looks of our 4th line that can defend and hit with Gordon and Hendricks. Our defence is finally looking better too with great prospects on the way. And our goaltending, although not proven yet, is a whole lot better than Dubnyk and LaBarbera. And not to mention adding Perron to our 2nd line as well.

I like what MacT has done.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
This team is better today than it was a year ago, and even a week ago. Pretty easy to see MacT is taking this team in the right direction.

When you look at the player turnover since he became GM, it's almost shocking. Half this team has been shuffled, and that's a ton of turnover in a short period of time.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I love that he has a plan to become a puck possession team.

Nikitin- Puck Possession
Purcell- Puck Possession
Pouliot- Puck Possession
Fayne- Puck Possession

Usually GM's say one thing and go out and do another.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
mark fayne and pouliot are not depth signings. there is a big difference between those two and a belanger/barker. They are proven vets in the prime of their careers who can play up in the lineup if needed. this summer is already better than last summer and that is including perron. If he can add another player like that to center this has been best summer since 05.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'll give him kudos when the oilers actually are at least competative. All of his good moves appear to be in response to him totally underestiamting the bad spots on the team. If he doesn't get a real nhl center before the season starts that will be the tending issue last year.

I also remember all the kudos he got last year and all the kudos tambo got after each fa period only to toss the cookies in the season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Nikitin- Puck Possession
Purcell- Puck Possession
Pouliot- Puck Possession
Fayne- Puck Possession

Draistail- Puck poessesion

And if we get Grabovski- Puck Possession

music to my ears

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm, of course, still on the MacT train.

Nice thread. Much needed around these parts.

Nice to see something positive for a change.

Oh...and what has MacT done today with the signings?

He's provided the core with something that this team has been lacking for years.

DEPTH

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Nikitin- Puck Possession
Purcell- Puck Possession
Pouliot- Puck Possession
Fayne- Puck Possession

indeed, Hextall/Feaster; "draftin sucks"/attempt to trade up and/or tank hard

McDeathbyCheerios*

premature thread.

Fasth is a Back-up.
Scrivens and Fasth were backups because they played behind good goaltenders and havent had the chance to be a real number one. That and Scrivens had better numbers after he came to our bad team. Purcell is a decent player and change of scenery is great for some players.

Besides we got way more from Gagner then Tampa did

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I'll give him kudos when the oilers actually are at least competative. All of his good moves appear to be in response to him totally underestiamting the bad spots on the team. If he doesn't get a real nhl center before the season starts that will be the tending issue last year.

I also remember all the kudos he got last year and all the kudos tambo got after each fa period only to toss the cookies in the season.

lol wut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad