Nikitin
Ferrence
Fayne
Purcell
Pouliot
Gordon
Perron
Draisaitl

That's a good group of NHL players there. All have enjoyed success on some pretty good teams. We are starting to surround our young core with some good pieces. Time for them to step up and start carrying us now. Here is what MacT had to say after the draft

"We've got a lot of skill, but we're in need of somebody down low that's capable of sustaining the play. We have David Perron that fits that bill and now Leon will be a guy that can really protect the puck." It became pretty clear his goal was to get bigger and bring in good possession players. By replacing Hemsky/Gagner with the likes of Fayne/Pouliot/Purcell, he has clearly done that.

It's nice to have a GM that recognizes team needs and goes out and attempts to address them. Not sure about his decision to hire Eakins, but as the Gagner trade has shown us, he is not afraid to fix a mistake.

Things are looking up Oiler fans. I trust the man in charge.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
He's been doing a great job so far. I really like the type of players he's been brining in. Big, strong, puck possession players who really compliment our small skilled guys nicely. It's good to see we have a plan.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've actually quite liked MacT as a GM since day 1. When he was hired, I thought "Well, the circumstances of his hire are pretty bad, but he could turn out to be a pretty good GM actually" and thus far, it still looks pretty promising.

Made some missteps here and there, but so has every GM.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I like what he did with the D but...

Right now he's making the OI LERS

EDIT: Because HF sucks, I can only use one space. There's supposed to be a massive gap there in the center.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
A good day for Oilers fans, imo. If he picks up a 2nd line center we are in better shape than we've been in a long time.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
This took longer than it should have:

2dHNVgS.gif

It's also nice that his biggest blunder is one that didn't go through (Clarkson)

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
What I did like about today is that he didn't waste any time chasing unknowns.

He targeted the players he wanted a grabbed them right away.

That said, not to be a broken record but they still really need a centerman.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I like what he did with the D but...

Right now he's making the OI LERS

EDIT: Because HF sucks, I can only use one space. There's supposed to be a massive gap there in the center.
Lol, good one.:laugh: Still time for him to do something about the middle. I'm more confident in his ability to address a need now than I was at this time last year. I'd hate to see him trade Yakupov to do it though.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Good additions so far. He just needs to acquire a 2C and I will see this as a successful offseason

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He was a great coach who got the best out of the players he had to work with and he's kicking butt as a GM. I've said this dating back to last year, but I firmly believe that if he was the GM in the very beginning of the rebuild, this team would be SO much better than they currently are at.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What I did like about today is that he didn't waste any time chasing unknowns.

He targeted the players he wanted a grabbed them right away.

That said, not to be a broken record but they still really need a centerman.
The 5 or 6 days they had before July 1st to talk to free agents made all of that possible. Today was pretty much just a formality because of it. This was a good idea by the league because it lets teams approach free agency with a level head. No scrambling trying to make franchise altering decisions in a moments notice for fear of losing out on a player. Teams know where they stand with players before free agency officially opens and that eliminates the ridiculous and embarrassing public chasing of guys you have no shot at landing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like what MacT has done. It's now up to his coaches to find a way to get these guys to gel and play as a team. We don't have the size and use-able skill that others have, so we need to find a way to win as a team, much like we did under MacT.

Individual play will result in losses. guys being there for each other should result in some w's.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've actually quite liked MacT as a GM since day 1. When he was hired, I thought "Well, the circumstances of his hire are pretty bad, but he could turn out to be a pretty good GM actually" and thus far, it still looks pretty promising.

Made some missteps here and there, but so has every GM.

Pretty much this. I'm very pleased with what he has been doing so far. The Perron and Scrivens trades were great and he continues to fill holes and get rid of the players dragging us down (Smid, Horcoff, Hemsky, Gagner).

Even if we don't manage to land an amazing #2C I think this team can do pretty well next season. The depth chart looks much, much better right now than it did this time last year anyway. Kudos MacT. :handclap:

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
I had a weird dream the other night. The season started brutally, like 4-14-2 bad, which led to Eakins getting sacked and replaced by Mact on an interim basis, only to have him somehow find a way to squeeze us into the playoffs.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Fasth - backup goalie
Scrivens - backup goalie
Nikitin - over paid hopeful, bottom pairing on majority of teams
Ferrence - over paid + long term, bottom pairing
Fayne - good signing
Purcell - over paid hopeful
Pouliot - way over paid + way to long term for career 3rd liner at best
Gordon - over paid 4rth line center but solid
Perron - steal of a trade
Draisaitl - anyone could of drafted him

+ no center yet, if we start with Arco and Lander my as well call it a season.
+ over payed Gagner making is value an all time low
+ offered the worst contract to Clarskon, lucky he didn't accept
+ signed Anton belov, Jesse Joensuu, will acton, Denis Grebeshkov, Jason Labarbera.
+ got a 5th and 3rd for Hemsky
+ gave away smid for nothing
+ hired a rookie coach in the middle of a rebuild
+ tried keeping the worst assistant coaches

Last edited:

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Fasth - backup goalie
Scrivens - backup goalie
Nikitin - over paid hopeful bottom pairing
Ferrence - over paid + long term bottom pairing
Fayne - good signing
Purcell - over paid hopeful
Pouliot - way over paid + way to long term for career 3rd liner at best
Gordon - over paid 4rth line center but solid
Perron - steal of a trade
Draisaitl - anyone could of drafted him

Exactly anyone could bring in NHL caliber players if you vastly overpay them.

Draisaitl is more a product of us being bad, and then was he even the best choice?

I'd also like to add in
Hired and stuck by the worst coach in the NHL
Grebeshkov (everyone knew it was bad from day 1)
Big contract to Gagner

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
I like that he is identifying players that will fit the type of team he is trying to build and the system that we are trying to run. That is what the successful organizations are able to do. I am not a huge fan of the Pouliot deal just because we gave both term and dollar but overall I am happy with what MacT has done. If he can sign Petry and Schultz to reasonable deals and pickup a 2-3 center I will be extremely happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad