Mactavish appreciation thread

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
According to wiki he's a goaltender developer for the St. Louis Blues....so don't try to look for him at your nearest Domo.

This is too funny. I love it. Being that I despise the Blues..

Stated with Mr Evil laugh..bwahahahaha:D

ps I'm hoping wiki's not wrong but I imagine you're messin with me. ;)

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I remember. Do you remember that one game Conklin actually played really well only to be yanked by MacT in favor of Morrison in a shoot out? Great coaching tactic be MacT eh?

Sorry but this is nonsense.

MacT owed nothing to Conklin who was a headcase all year that season, let alone a complete sieve. His fellow players didn't trust him and he let that team down time and time again.

Conklin getting pissed for getting pulled that game speaks only to his own complete lack on mental ability to play at the NHL level and nothing else.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He made the worst coaching hire decision in the history of this org. Worse than George Burnett even as nothing at all was expected of that team and there was nothing to build for. The worse thing at all being the change wasn't at all required. The team was showing some signs of progress and development under Krueger(and during an injury plagued challenging year). Which completely disappeared with the Eakins hire.

This is no small thing. MacTavish completely threw away this season and pissed away one year of what could've been beneficial player development with this awful Eakins hire.

I'm not surprised he hasn't redressed his decision. He's not prepared to admit the dreadful mistake.

Eakins is a disaster as an NHL headcoach. A consistent clown show. Everyteam in the league would be pleased with the Oil going status quo on this guy.
There is always a risk with going with a former AHL coach. Many teams were wanting Eakins we just managed to get him.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I thought MacT did the goalie switch twice, 1st time it worked, 2nd it didn't and he did not do it again. Makes sense, 1st year of the shootout, guys should look for advantages.

As for Conklin, he made a huge mistake not finding somewhere to play in the lockout. He was at the point in his development where games were important and he lost a season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
mark fayne and pouliot are not depth signings. there is a big difference between those two and a belanger/barker. They are proven vets in the prime of their careers who can play up in the lineup if needed. this summer is already better than last summer and that is including perron. If he can add another player like that to center this has been best summer since 05.

Good call.

Pouliot and Fayne have both been solid additions.

Doesn't make up for some of the other bad decisions that MacT has made but he got those 2 right.

Scrivens and Fasth have both been abject failures....Eakins as well and that really hurt this team.

Like anything Oilers though MacT will be given ample opportunity to correct his wrongs.

In any event this thread is a testament to how quickly this board sways in a given direction.

Interesting read. :D

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Fasth - backup goalie
Scrivens - backup goalie
Nikitin - over paid hopeful, bottom pairing on majority of teams
Ferrence - over paid + long term, bottom pairing
Fayne - good signing
Purcell - over paid hopeful
Pouliot - way over paid + way to long term for career 3rd liner at best
Gordon - over paid 4rth line center but solid
Perron - steal of a trade
Draisaitl - anyone could of drafted him

+ no center yet, if we start with Arco and Lander my as well call it a season.
+ over payed Gagner making is value an all time low
+ offered the worst contract to Clarskon, lucky he didn't accept
+ signed Anton belov, Jesse Joensuu, will acton, Denis Grebeshkov, Jason Labarbera.
+ got a 5th and 3rd for Hemsky
+ gave away smid for nothing
+ hired a rookie coach in the middle of a rebuild
+ tried keeping the worst assistant coaches

Pretty Good.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I had a weird dream the other night. The season started brutally, like 4-14-2 bad, which led to Eakins getting sacked and replaced by Mact on an interim basis, only to have him somehow find a way to squeeze us into the playoffs.

:laugh:

So close, yet so very far far away.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Arcobello is not the answer for 2C...they need experience and size down the middle

I like Arco, I think he can play in the NHL...just not in the top 6

MacT will get his props if/when he pushes Draisaitl/Arco/Gordon down the lineup

said it then and saying it now...

MacT needed real centermen to start the season and failed
just a waste of a season

no props for MacT

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
****. This is why I don't post all that often, lol. Especially on the first page.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This took longer than it should have:

2dHNVgS.gif

It's also nice that his biggest blunder is one that didn't go through (Clarkson)

and now today....

CrcOHMP.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm glad that I was skeptical and predicted that they would be awful.
I was worried that I had bought into the free agency day hype. Sidestepped that landmine.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Yeah, I remember thinking that Belanger was a quality defensive center that would help our team defense. haha.

I also remember being excited when we got Cam Barker because I thought he could turn into a low-risk, high-reward kind of signing. oh well.

But aside from that, I don't recall being excited about much that Tambellini did. He never did get around to addressing things that I thought were the real problems with this team. Too small, too soft, too inexperienced, too weak down the middle, too one dimensional...

Now... the makeover that MacTavish has done on the team in the past year has yet to pay any dividends on the ice, but I have a good feeling about where things are headed. We're bigger and stronger. We've added veterans... and not just guys who've been around the league a while and played 40 games a year or 6 minutes a night, but actual proven NHLers who play regular minutes on teams that are a lot better than the Oilers. He has cleared out a number of guys who are small, weak, and/or soft. We drafted the 213 pound center instead of the 178 pound center. He has brought in NHLers to support our kids instead of depending on more kids to step in. To me, the things MacTavish is doing feel like the right things.

In past years, if things didn't turn around, I wouldn't have been surprised. This year, if things don't start improving, I can't second-guess MacTavish because he's doing the things I have been hoping for. If MacTavish is wrong, I'm wrong too.

Obviously the #2C position is a gaping hole right now, but MacTavish has said it's a priority and I think he means it. And obviously we still don't have that stud defenseman we need, but I don't think any such player was available on the free agent market. And there probably aren't any available in trades either. We're obviously not where we need to be yet, and we are going to need some of our young players to develop to get there, because that kind of a hole is very difficult to fill by trade or signing.

:laugh: :biglaugh: :lol:

:facepalm:

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Dude could trade Bogdan Yakimov for Sidney Crosby and I'd still detest him for how he handled the Eakins hiring.

- Turfing your head coach that showed progress and a coach that all the players liked to play for. Schultz said one of the reasons he chose Edmonton was because he was excited to play for Krueger.
- Firing him over skype when you promised to look for an associate coach
- Hiring the worst coach in NHL history Dallas Eakins
- Steadfastly defending him and calling him a "10 year man"
- Looking over a far superior coach that was already a known quantity inside the organization!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad