Prospect Info: MacT thinks he has more picks (UPDATE 2/16/15 Stauffer Says That We have Two 3rds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I'll gladly trumpet that I am wrong and apologize as soon as mact or lowe do the same for any of about 50 things over the last 12-13 years.

You earn cred and you earn a skeptical eye and this front office has earned the fact that no matter what they do their moves will be assumed to be screw ups.

You should apologize for whatever you need to apologize for. Making it contingent on something that's never going to happen makes it obvious that you don't think you have anything to apologize for.

Not that I care, of course, as you're not the first nor the last that'll post something on this board that's incorrect. It happens.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If you have two 3rd rounders and he is there you take him. He has as good a chance as any of making it and statistically there is very little difference between a late 3rd and a 6th rounder in terms of producing NHL players.

No, you really don't. I said back when the fiasco started and he was returned to junior, the highest you reach for him is 5th round. An undersized player who went undrafted in a weaker previous draft could just as easily go undrafted again. People had Kulda pencilled in as a late 2nd/early 3rd after winning the MVP at the Mem Cup last year (IIRC DraftSite.com had him as a late 2nd) and he went mid 7th.

I don't trust our drafting, but I'd much rather take a stab at a goalie or project power forward/big D than reach that far for a player I will guarantee is still there in the 5th round. I will give 10-1 odds on an avatar bet (10 months for me vs 1 month to the inevitable loser) on anybody willing to suggest he goes before the 5th round (keep in mind, if the Oil take him it doesn't count, as I'm fully aware this is the type of stupidity that drives this organization).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you have two 3rd rounders and he is there you take him. He has as good a chance as any of making it and statistically there is very little difference between a late 3rd and a 6th rounder in terms of producing NHL players.

I don't think there will be any real demand for him in the first three rounds.

If anything trade a team our 4th next year for a 4th this year and take him. A deep draft like this one there's bound to be a few good players fall to the 3rd round.

Maybe you grab him with St.Louis's 3rd if there's no one that's blowing you away but looking at the facts he's a tiny winger that's only at a PPG in his draft+1 year. Can't see a lot of teams pounding his door down - maybe Burke convinces Treliving to take him purely to piss off Lowe :laugh:

Like Roof Daddy said, Edgars Kulda was another smallish winger, memorial cup MVP, and he went 7th round.

Still a little pissed we didn't take him or Tkachev last year 7th round, noooo we had to go with Mr. .850 sv % Keven Bouchard...

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

You absolutely do NOT take him in the third. He has been passed up once, hasn't been very good this year and is probably 150 lbs.

The kid has got skill no doubt but when eveyone here was gushing over him before the actual season started I noticed that the kid gets pushed off the puck very easily and loses the puck a lot. I've noticed it this season too.

Everyone got excited about him putting up points in meaningless games but the fact is is that we often get fooled by prospects that do that (have a great preseason or inter squad games) then can't live up to our hype.

I would be looking at drafting him in the 6th round in all honesty because there's players I like much more projected for rounds 4 and 5. He's extremely tiny and can't dominate junior as a 2nd year eligible player, that doesn't bode well. Before someone says "well so and so is a great NHL player and is very small" I can guarentee so and so dominated juniors.

Just my opinion

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Why was the trade not reported as Paajarvi, 2014 2nd, and conditional 4th for Perron and a conditional 3rd when it happened then? Maybe the condition was if Dallas Eakins hadn't won a Jack Adams trophy yet?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seeing as this is information that only became available this morning I don't see anyone needing to offer an apology. That said it makes the Perron trade a tad more palatable and it is one less mistake that MacT has made (in terms of knowing what picks he does/doesn't have).

Well nobody has to apologize for anything, but anyone who criticized MacT over this should want to apologize if they want to present themselves as rational arguers who don't just mindlessly bash MacT. It doesn't mean you have to love the guy either, and you can still say he should be fired.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you want a midget prospect to take from the Remparts in the 3rd round, your man is Dmytro Timashov.

Not ranked in the top 60 and tearing the Q apart at 18. - 78 points in 53 games.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You should apologize for whatever you need to apologize for. Making it contingent on something that's never going to happen makes it obvious that you don't think you have anything to apologize for.

Not that I care, of course, as you're not the first nor the last that'll post something on this board that's incorrect. It happens.

Well we need to be realisitic here right? If you didn't care you would not have made this post and you would not have said my comment was incorrect. So you do care.

And you made an assumption in that I really feel I have nothing to apologize for. Not stated at all on my part. I said I would not give one simply because the person I would be giving it to does not deserve it because of their own definition of admitting mistakes. Both mact and lowe have never admitted to making one mistake in all their time here that I know of despite a litany of obvious errors that any reasonable person would see for being a mistake.

I am -1 in the admitting I made a mistake department, macT is about -20. I don't feel bad at all. You are not the 1st person that has been incorrect in knowing peoples motivations and you won't be the last. Not that it matters to me.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
If you want a midget prospect to take from the Remparts in the 3rd round, your man is Dmytro Timashov.

Not ranked in the top 60 and tearing the Q apart at 18. - 78 points in 53 games.

Exactly and Timashov probably has 25 lbs on Tkachev and a couple inches in height. Higher upside imo

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I'm almost certain Eakins was just relieved of his duties.

Yeah, he's still on the payroll, I think, so doubtful that he's being allowed to just sit around twiddling his thumbs.

Unless, of course, they bought out his contract, I suppose.

Either way, I wouldn't put it past this organization to bring him back behind the bench next season amid renewed promises.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Well we need to be realisitic here right? If you didn't care you would not have made this post and you would not have said my comment was incorrect. So you do care.

And you made an assumption in that I really feel I have nothing to apologize for. Not stated at all on my part. I said I would not give one simply because the person I would be giving it to does not deserve it because of their own definition of admitting mistakes. Both mact and lowe have never admitted to making one mistake in all their time here that I know of despite a litany of obvious errors that any reasonable person would see for being a mistake.

I am -1 in the admitting I made a mistake department, macT is about -20. I don't feel bad at all. You are not the 1st person that has been incorrect in knowing peoples motivations and you won't be the last. Not that it matters to me.

lol. exactly. they got one right for once. yahoo!! course, they have to actually make good on that pick, don't forget.

when they've been wrong literally dozens of times, then get an almost inconsequential thing right, they don't get any kudos for it.

Now, if Mact gets the coaching situation right, and signs Johnny Boychuk and Annti Niemi, and the Oil make a push for the playoffs next, then, and ONLY then, will apologies for dissing him over Petry and the goalies be in order.

As for now, I'll declare he's an idiot for his handling of Petry. and when I'm wrong, I'll gladly give him props for proven me so.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
You absolutely do NOT take him in the third. He has been passed up once, hasn't been very good this year and is probably 150 lbs.

The kid has got skill no doubt but when eveyone here was gushing over him before the actual season started I noticed that the kid gets pushed off the puck very easily and loses the puck a lot. I've noticed it this season too.

Everyone got excited about him putting up points in meaningless games but the fact is is that we often get fooled by prospects that do that (have a great preseason or inter squad games) then can't live up to our hype.

I would be looking at drafting him in the 6th round in all honesty because there's players I like much more projected for rounds 4 and 5. He's extremely tiny and can't dominate junior as a 2nd year eligible player, that doesn't bode well. Before someone says "well so and so is a great NHL player and is very small" I can guarentee so and so dominated juniors.

Just my opinion

id rather take the chance on Garland from the wildcats that vladdy at this point

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Both mact and lowe have never admitted to making one mistake in all their time here that I know of despite a litany of obvious errors that any reasonable person would see for being a mistake.

Not that it'll change your mind one way or the other, but MacTavish was quite open in admitting it was on him for the Tkachev signing fiasco.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Considering this thread was only created for the sole purpose of pointing out MacT said he had more picks than he actually had, and now we learn that he did, in fact, have the picks he said he had, I see zero reason why it needs to exist.

It was barely thread-worthy to begin with (more like something to bring up in any of the threads on MacTavish/Management that already exist).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well nobody has to apologize for anything, but anyone who criticized MacT over this should want to apologize if they want to present themselves as rational arguers who don't just mindlessly bash MacT. It doesn't mean you have to love the guy either, and you can still say he should be fired.

It's not our fault that the details were not released. That said if it makes you fell better, I will apologize for criticizing him for this when he was right. That said he still sucks as a GM and should've been fired quite some time ago and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad