mact FIRED thread version 1--ALL ABOARD THE SACKED MAC EXPRESS

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
In regards to Petry, does anyone think Price makes him look better than he actually is? I mean Ottawa was all over the Habs last game.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Anyone see/hear anything on Chiarelli asking Mac to stay??? Saw something on the score but didn't have too much info :shakehead

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
MacT didn't face the music last time he was removed from the org so don't expect him or Lowe to do anything. We will not hear or see the guy at all if he stays with the org. If he leaves we will see a one liner presser saying he has left.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
In regards to Petry, does anyone think Price makes him look better than he actually is? I mean Ottawa was all over the Habs last game.

Last night for sure the entire Montreal team needed Price to save the day. Shots 30 to 7 in the last 2 periods.

Other games, Petry did a good job of shutting down the Turris line limiting their shot attempts. Petry was definitely a part of the solution playing shut-down minutes for Montreal in that series and consistently doing good work moving the puck up the ice out of their zone. Seems most Montreal fans appreciate him as well.

Last edited:

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Well as long as he has no input or any power I guess its the best were gonna get. Hopefully he just leaves tho

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Anyone see/hear anything on Chiarelli asking Mac to stay??? Saw something on the score but didn't have too much info :shakehead

I can see Chiarelli respecting MacT at this point and wanting to let him stay on as an assistant or one of this helpers in some capacity. Will be up to MacT if he can stay in line with Chiarelli's vision and make himself a useful contributor. MacT is under contract so this might be something Nicholson asked Chiarelli to consider at least for a short time. Not like MacT can do much damage in a reduced role, he has to do whatever Chiarelli wants him to and that's all.

My guess is MacT moves on after around a year. Either Chiarelli feels he has to bring in more talented people to help him, or MacT just gets fed up with not getting to do what he wants.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I hate that mact still might be here. I absolutely despise him. I hope he picks up his ball and leaves forever from this organization. Chiarelli needs to know this guy knows nothing about hockey and sack him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Judge_Katz.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That seems to somewhat mirror MacT's thought process as well, when he was giving Petry his "prove it" contract bringing him to UFA:

- the Oilers don't have a top pairing defenseman
- Petry is not good enough to be a top pairing defenseman
- therefore we should get rid of Petry

The problem here is pretty obvious: rather than solving the problem (lack of top pairing defensemen) it actually leaves you worse off than when you started (down a #3/4 guy).

The defense down the stretch was pretty much league-worst, which is not a surprising result when you:

a) get rid of one of your decent guys
b) know you have a couple of injury prone/aging guys in Nikitin/Ference,
and c) never bothered to fix the underlying issue in the first place

So you're right, we do need to get better D in here, but losing Petry for minimal return doesn't do that.

Worth noting that Montreal is succeeding with both Petry and Gilbert on their blueline. Yes, neither Petry nor Gilbert was ever the answer as a top pairing defenseman, but you're not going to fix that problem by just getting rid of them and then doing nothing.
Getting rid of players and then doing nothing is a big reason Lowe and Mactavish aren't making hockey decisions for this team anymore. This had been going on around here for a long time. By the sounds of Mac T's year end presser that was going to be the plan this off season too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
MacT didn't face the music last time he was removed from the org so don't expect him or Lowe to do anything. We will not hear or see the guy at all if he stays with the org. If he leaves we will see a one liner presser saying he has left.
Looking like it may go just like last time. We assume he was fired (more accurately- led to belive he was), he disappears for a few years only to resurface and we're told he stepped down on his own accord. Now he's new and improved :sarcasm: and ready for a bigger role.

Ogopogo*

whew. so..... the best thing to do, when your dcorp is crap, is get rid of the best one, and keep the other more crappy pieces.

yeah, ok. thank you, thank you very much.:help::shakehead

The point is, Petry is completely irrelevant. If he is a #4 defenseman, he really makes little to no impact on our success. Get some real D in here and Petry would be lost in the shuffle and nobody would whine about him leaving. The only reason anybody cares is because our D sucks so bad.

Honestly, other than Klefbom, there is nobody else on our blueline right now that I would give a damn about keeping. All we have is a bunch of bottom pair D - they don't win you anything so, who cares about them?

I don't see the value in a player that continually passes the puck to the opponent in front of our net. If he could correct that massive flaw, maybe he would be worthwhile.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
FTR, during the fLames game the other night, Friedman said that Chia has reached out to MacT and asked him to stay on in some capacity (as yet undefined). Said that they flew together to Kelowna to watch Draisitl the other night...

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Said this in the Chia thread, but I think MacT would provide some value as a pro scout. He seems to be reasonable at identifying talent outside of his own organization.

Just keep him away from any decision making power.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
And for the record Petry was good until Eakins came around and even with the Eakins **** show when he was paired with Marincin it made for pretty great tandem at the time.

Petry is funny, he's not a huge producer but he has pretty great offensive instincts. He makes great passes and good pinches. I laughed when people would think Justin Schultz production > Petry, and it was never true. We scored more and were scored on less with Petry on the ice, period. And he is a guy who IF WE HAD a legitimate top pairing dman TO pair him with, would of been a pretty good top pairing and the crazier thing is Petry probably could of developed a bit more, he wasn't even done yet. He was the Dman who helped us not get hemmed in by the nastier clubs because he was mostly responsible in his own end.

Imagine now having Petry for 4-5 years @ 3.75-4m or so, pretty solid deal and allowing us to get a good Dman next to him to round out the top pairing. Maybe not elite but 100% better than where we are now.

If MacT neglected to give him term at something like 3.5-4m earlier on before giving him a free pass to UFA then he's a REALLY stupid man.

On the other hand we probably got McDavid because of it so I'm good now, but I'm sure he wasn't consulting JoJo's Psychic Alliance when dealing with the roster the last 1.5 years.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And for the record Petry was good until Eakins came around and even with the Eakins **** show when he was paired with Marincin it made for pretty great tandem at the time.

Petry is funny, he's not a huge producer but he has pretty great offensive instincts. He makes great passes and good pinches. I laughed when people would think Justin Schultz production > Petry, and it was never true. We scored more and were scored on less with Petry on the ice, period. And he is a guy who IF WE HAD a legitimate top pairing dman TO pair him with, would of been a pretty good top pairing and the crazier thing is Petry probably could of developed a bit more, he wasn't even done yet. He was the Dman who helped us not get hemmed in by the nastier clubs because he was mostly responsible in his own end.

Imagine now having Petry for 4-5 years @ 3.75-4m or so, pretty solid deal and allowing us to get a good Dman next to him to round out the top pairing. Maybe not elite but 100% better than where we are now.

If MacT neglected to give him term at something like 3.5-4m earlier on before giving him a free pass to UFA then he's a REALLY stupid man.

On the other hand we probably got McDavid because of it so I'm good now, but I'm sure he wasn't consulting JoJo's Psychic Alliance when dealing with the roster the last 1.5 years.
I don't think Mactavish was calling JoJo either. I suspect he was using his own lottery machine and bingo balls when he was selecting his roster.

Ogopogo*

Said this in the Chia thread, but I think MacT would provide some value as a pro scout. He seems to be reasonable at identifying talent outside of his own organization.

Like Nikitin, Belov, Purcell, Ference, Grebeshkov....

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The point is, Petry is completely irrelevant. If he is a #4 defenseman, he really makes little to no impact on our success. Get some real D in here and Petry would be lost in the shuffle and nobody would whine about him leaving. The only reason anybody cares is because our D sucks so bad.

Honestly, other than Klefbom, there is nobody else on our blueline right now that I would give a damn about keeping. All we have is a bunch of bottom pair D - they don't win you anything so, who cares about them?

I don't see the value in a player that continually passes the puck to the opponent in front of our net. If he could correct that massive flaw, maybe he would be worthwhile.

Petry #1 on even strength TOI/game for Montreal in their series win playing shutdown minutes and tough zone starts. Won the possession battle in 5/6 games vs Ottawa even though his offensive zone starts ranged from 25-50% in the games and most of the time he got the Turris match-up. Ottawa scored 1 whole goal in the series when he was out there at even strength. Yeah, what a bum.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

This is some funny stuff here.

Mactavish couldn't even identify talent in the players he was watching every single day, this going as far back as his coaching days. The decisions on contracts handed out to players he strongly supported and the yearly comments coming from either him or Lowe that they overvalued their roster confirms that. Yet you figure he's an expert identifying it in players on other teams that he doesn't see much of? Gotta disagree with you on this one, I can't follow the logic.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are we still seriously debating why Mac-T was a *****y GM? He got fired from that job. If he stays or goes with the organization, who cares, because he's not even close to running the show anymore.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This is some funny stuff here.

Mactavish couldn't even identify talent in the players he was watching every single day, this going as far back as his coaching days. The decisions on contracts handed out to players he strongly supported and the yearly comments coming from either him or Lowe that they overvalued their roster confirms that. Yet you figure he's an expert identifying it in players on other teams that he doesn't see much of? Gotta disagree with you on this one, I can't follow the logic.

It is rather amusing and ironic that he was able to identify and bring some pretty nice pieces from outside the organization while simultaneously seemingly having no idea what he already had within it.

I think MacT already had a vision about which of his current players were going to be key pieces moving forward when he moved in. At the point the stubborness/arrogance set in for him and he wouldn't reform his obviously wrong opinions even when the results were quite literally slapping him in the face.

Eakins is the best of example of this but it also speaks to his treatment of several players you are implying here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad