mact FIRED thread version 1--ALL ABOARD THE SACKED MAC EXPRESS

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't think it's actually from the PC, but the response looks so fitting for the announcement.

Yeah, now that I think of it, I was in that same room at the hotel a while ago and I don't remember any lights like that on the walls hehe. For sure though, MacT likely had a very similar reaction when he found out. He might have still been on a plane at the time, it really sounded like Nicholson didn't talk to him at all before this all went down.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
shocked_meme.jpg

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
yes, that might have been the last straw for him with Nicholson. tho, I think we were screwed the minute he shook hands with Dallas Eakins. Love at first sight.

what was his worst call/play?

1. Eakins
2. handling the centre position
3. Dubnyk
4. Petry

All bad, but I've gotta go with Eakins.

There's so many to choose from. Schultz, Niktin sign + trade, maybe even his horrific press conferences where he said at least one meme-worthy statement.

He should have never been GM in the first place, and it's hilarious Chiarelli is the first Oilers GM with prior GM experience.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
yes, that might have been the last straw for him with Nicholson. tho, I think we were screwed the minute he shook hands with Dallas Eakins. Love at first sight.

1. Eakins
3. Dubnyk
4. Petry

Yeah, Eakins has to be the worst, because it made it so no matter what he did the team would still fail. The horribly misguided coaching philosophies Eakins pushed onto the team (coaching for Corsi %'s instead of trying to create/prevent high quality scoring chances) could have brought almost any team to their knees. After Eakins was removed and Nelson brought in we got a better idea of what MacT actually created and it was still pretty darn bad, but not Eakins bad.

Also have to note that MacT likely wouldn't have fired Eakins if he wasn't forced to. That discussion might have sealed MacT's fate. Huge red flag for Nicholson that MacT didn't know what he was doing.

Oct 15, 2008
I value your views and opinions greatly. Can we have your full, no ******** opinions on things? I mean that in all seriousness.

Why would anyone still keep these clowns around? Not sure what to think tbh but not cutting the cord with those two isnt what I would do or would think anyone who is serious about improving the team would do.

That said Ive spoken with some that have behind the scenes insight that assure me that neither is going to have a say in anything hockey ops related anymore. But I dont know if Im buying that. Time will tell I guess.

If Chiarelli and McDavid are enough to lure Mike Babcock I would feel much better about the contributions or lack thereof from the dumbest man in hockey and Mr Six Rings.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He said the Eakins hire would make or break his tenure ... and that was an unmitigated disaster. So I think it's only fair that he's gone.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This reads like a Twilight zone episode moral tale...:D
I like to think one of the mods accidentally bumped the wrong key. :sarcasm:
Honestly what would ever possess an Oiler fan to put that on in the first place is beyond me.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

1. Eakins
3. Dubnyk
4. Petry

1)Eakins
2) Petry situation--he wanted to be an oiler but the oilers said they could not meet his asking price--72 hours later the money he was asking for was given to Nikiten and communication between the two camps ended
3) The Center position--we all knew they needed a center--the fact we all knew something they refused to admit says a lot about how arrogant they are

Dubnyk played in Nashville and montreal after us and he admits that the problem with the game started with how did things himself.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
1)Eakins
2) Petry situation--he wanted to be an oiler but the oilers said they could not meet his asking price--72 hours later the money he was asking for was given to Nikiten and communication between the two camps ended
3) The Center position--we all knew they needed a center--the fact we all knew something they refused to admit says a lot about how arrogant they are

Dubnyk played in Nashville and montreal after us and he admits that the problem with the game started with how did things himself.

wow. is that actually true?

Ogopogo*

Not sure why everybody still clings to Petry as some kind of major loss. The guy just isn't very good - he gives the puck away far too much to be effective.

Maybe, compared to the other crap we have on D, he looked OK but, come on people - the best of crap is still crap. Petry sucks. If we are to have any hope, we need to get better D in here than Petry ever was.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not sure why everybody still clings to Petry as some kind of major loss. The guy just isn't very good - he gives the puck away far too much to be effective.

Maybe, compared to the other crap we have on D, he looked OK but, come on people - the best of crap is still crap. Petry sucks. If we are to have any hope, we need to get better D in here than Petry ever was.

Ya, it's not like he's the #3 on a team in the 2nd round of the playoffs right now

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Why does he suck? MTL fans seem to love him? Their defense is a hell of a lot better than ours.

"Where the hell would the Habs be without him? What a great, steady defenceman."
-------------------------------------------
"He's a must. You want this team to go forward, you sign him. Whatever you need to do and unload. You freakin make it happen."
"A 6'2, 27 year old dman with brains and athleticism.

Resign please."
"Petry needs to stay, he proved that he is a legitimate top 4 D. He's been by FAR the most effective D vs. the Sens. Steady, poised, stays calm when pressured, works hard, takes the body to make plays, smooth break-outs..

Markov and Subban have been struggling in this series. Truth is without Petry in the lineup, Montreal could be losing to Ottawa right now. He's just 27 and entering his prime; unless he asks for the moon, sign him."

I guess they must be blind and those of us on this forum who defended him were wrong. Oh and those quotes are from the last 2 pages of that thread.

Last edited:

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Apparently Petry has been magnificent for MTL and their fans love him.

Great job MacT!

It's not like the Oilers needed a young top 4 RHD with over 300 games played anyways!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Montreal likes Petry as a 3 million dollar 2nd pairing guy. He doesn't give them much offense and generally is just solid. It's also not accurate to say that just because Montreal is a good team, that their D is great in all aspects. Our problem is that we have too many 2nd pairing Dmen with no first pairing guys. Montreal had the first pairing locked down and taking the most minutes, but were running short on depth. With Petry they don't expect any offense and are happy with just smart shutdown plays.

If Petry demands the same 4+ million he was demanding from us, I'm sure Montreal fans won't be so high on him. He is the type of player you let walk away if you have a cheap replacement.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005

That seems to somewhat mirror MacT's thought process as well, when he was giving Petry his "prove it" contract bringing him to UFA:

- the Oilers don't have a top pairing defenseman
- Petry is not good enough to be a top pairing defenseman
- therefore we should get rid of Petry

The problem here is pretty obvious: rather than solving the problem (lack of top pairing defensemen) it actually leaves you worse off than when you started (down a #3/4 guy).

The defense down the stretch was pretty much league-worst, which is not a surprising result when you:

a) get rid of one of your decent guys
b) know you have a couple of injury prone/aging guys in Nikitin/Ference,
and c) never bothered to fix the underlying issue in the first place

So you're right, we do need to get better D in here, but losing Petry for minimal return doesn't do that.

Worth noting that Montreal is succeeding with both Petry and Gilbert on their blueline. Yes, neither Petry nor Gilbert was ever the answer as a top pairing defenseman, but you're not going to fix that problem by just getting rid of them and then doing nothing.

Oct 15, 2008
Ya, it's not like he's the #3 on a team in the 2nd round of the playoffs right now

He sucked ass with us.

Ideally we would have been able to keep him until something else better came along, but we had the dumbest man in hockey calling the shots so we get what we get.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
"Dear, 8-pound, 6-ounce, newborn infant Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant and so cuddly, but still omnipotent, we just thank you for all the stuff that has happened since Lottery Saturday. Amen."
I know you're just being silly and that its cool these days to reference the "sweet baby Jesus" in nearly any conversation one might be having ... but people should stop and think.

We just witnessed a ****ing miracle of staggering proportions. If there is any incontrovertible evidence of the existence of baby Jesus and his love for hockey and Edmonton then the series of events that unfolded before us last week surely qualifies.

I'm converted. I dare anyone to say miracles don't happen and Jesus doesn't love us.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

whew. so..... the best thing to do, when your dcorp is crap, is get rid of the best one, and keep the other more crappy pieces.

yeah, ok. thank you, thank you very much.:help::shakehead

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Apparently Petry has been magnificent for MTL and their fans love him.

Great job MacT!

It's not like the Oilers needed a young top 4 RHD with over 300 games played anyways!

Yea develop for other teams. A great quote from another inept G.M Rutherford said don't draft d-man in the first round they take to long to develop. I hope the next 3 drafts all there drafting is goalies and d-man. No one is giving away d-man like how petry got away

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Why does he suck? MTL fans seem to love him? Their defense is a hell of a lot better than ours.

"Where the hell would the Habs be without him? What a great, steady defenceman."
"He's a must. You want this team to go forward, you sign him. Whatever you need to do and unload. You freakin make it happen."
"A 6'2, 27 year old dman with brains and athleticism.

Resign please."
"Petry needs to stay, he proved that he is a legitimate top 4 D. He's been by FAR the most effective D vs. the Sens. Steady, poised, stays calm when pressured, works hard, takes the body to make plays, smooth break-outs..

Markov and Subban have been struggling in this series. Truth is without Petry in the lineup, Montreal could be losing to Ottawa right now. He's just 27 and entering his prime; unless he asks for the moon, sign him."

I guess they must be blind and those of us on this forum who defended him were wrong. Oh and those quotes are from the last 2 pages of that thread.

Great post, covered what I wanted to say. No one's saying Petry is Shea Weber but he was still a good dman, and the team with the crappiest D in the league just gave him away. Good riddance MacT.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Actually a guy came into work with a Habs hat on and I asked him what I thought of Petry.

He took a moment to answer and said, he ain't worth 5 million but he's okay. He said if the Habs give him any more than 2.5 next year, he'd be pissed.

So not everyone thinks he is the be all/end all in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad