mact FIRED thread version 1--ALL ABOARD THE SACKED MAC EXPRESS

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It is rather amusing and ironic that he was able to identify and bring some pretty nice pieces from outside the organization while simultaneously seemingly having no idea what he already had within it.

I think MacT already had a vision about which of his current players were going to be key pieces moving forward when he moved in. At the point the stubborness/arrogance set in for him and he wouldn't reform his obviously wrong opinions even when the results were quite literally slapping him in the face.

Eakins is the best of example of this but it also speaks to his treatment of several players you are implying here.
I got the feeling watching Mactavish operate for a dozen or so years that he really had no clue how to identify talent. I'm guessing the players he may have lucked out on from other organizations came highly recommended to him by other people, not from anything he himself saw in them. I can't see this guy having any sort of positive effect on scouting. I wouldn't want him anywhere near that.

I do agree though that he made his mind up on players very quickly and nothing they did after, good or bad, could change his mind.

Last edited:

bolobow

May 3, 2006
This is some funny stuff here.

Mactavish couldn't even identify talent in the players he was watching every single day, this going as far back as his coaching days. The decisions on contracts handed out to players he strongly supported and the yearly comments coming from either him or Lowe that they overvalued their roster confirms that. Yet you figure he's an expert identifying it in players on other teams that he doesn't see much of? Gotta disagree with you on this one, I can't follow the logic.

Yep, people laud how MacT was able to unload Horcoff a couple years ago. But they fail to realize it was the MacT/Lowe tandem that awarded Horcoff with that albatross contract in the first place. A huge reason being how much MacT loved Horcoff, he even thought Horcoff should be on the Canadian Olympic Team. Horcoff was and is a solid player (2-way and more offensive than Gordon), but it's his contract that is a killer.

Ditto for Gagner and his silly caphit and modified NMC. Turned an ok offensive producing player into a 6th-round pick, plus salary retained.

David Clarkson offer of 6Mx7yrs, likely passed on due to less signing bonuses than the Leafs offered. If we had Clarkson with that contract, there is no way the Blue Jackets bail us out.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
And for the record Petry was good until Eakins came around and even with the Eakins **** show when he was paired with Marincin it made for pretty great tandem at the time.

Petry is funny, he's not a huge producer but he has pretty great offensive instincts. He makes great passes and good pinches. I laughed when people would think Justin Schultz production > Petry, and it was never true. We scored more and were scored on less with Petry on the ice, period. And he is a guy who IF WE HAD a legitimate top pairing dman TO pair him with, would of been a pretty good top pairing and the crazier thing is Petry probably could of developed a bit more, he wasn't even done yet. He was the Dman who helped us not get hemmed in by the nastier clubs because he was mostly responsible in his own end.

Imagine now having Petry for 4-5 years @ 3.75-4m or so, pretty solid deal and allowing us to get a good Dman next to him to round out the top pairing. Maybe not elite but 100% better than where we are now.

If MacT neglected to give him term at something like 3.5-4m earlier on before giving him a free pass to UFA then he's a REALLY stupid man.

On the other hand we probably got McDavid because of it so I'm good now, but I'm sure he wasn't consulting JoJo's Psychic Alliance when dealing with the roster the last 1.5 years.

Hey now, we can never be too sure. Don't be dissing 'JoJo' and her amazing psychic alliance. Maybe her and Mac were real tight.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Any one else just imagine Mac T following Peter around like a lost puppy and just annoying the hell out of him with stupid questions and comments?

I just can't picture a conversation where Peter isn't rolling his eyes every ten minutes while Mac T yammers on about how good Schultz will be. Or how unlucky Eakins was.

Just fire the guy already.

If we do pick up Babcock Mac T will have no role in this management group. Even with McLellan it's unlikely Mac Ts input will be wanted.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
"I am humbled to hear that Mr. Chiarelli is considering me as part of his staff but I would only willing to stay on in any role....in any capacity."

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Any one else just imagine Mac T following Peter around like a lost puppy and just annoying the hell out of him with stupid questions and comments?

I just can't picture a conversation where Peter isn't rolling his eyes every ten minutes while Mac T yammers on about how good Schultz will be. Or how unlucky Eakins was.

If we do pick up Babcock Mac T will have no role in this management group. Even with McLellan it's unlikely Mac Ts input will be wanted.
Yeah it's pretty pathetic. But at this point I think MacTavish has figured out the chances of ever getting a similar job elsewhere are extremely slim. Gifted a GM job and he blew it badly.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Looking like it may go just like last time. We assume he was fired (more accurately- led to belive he was), he disappears for a few years only to resurface and we're told he stepped down on his own accord. Now he's new and improved :sarcasm: and ready for a bigger role.

yes...and you left out that he was sick, they found it to be cancer, followed by treatment...etc.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Are we still seriously debating why Mac-T was a *****y GM? He got fired from that job. If he stays or goes with the organization, who cares, because he's not even close to running the show anymore.

Yeah, MacT wasn't a good GM, but he does have a good hockey mind for certain things. I'm sure they can find a productive role for him in the Oilers.

As long as he stays away from any microphones. He not good at microphones. Microphones make him look real silly.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Yeah, MacT wasn't a good GM, but he does have a good hockey mind for certain things. I'm sure they can find a productive role for him in the Oilers.

As long as he stays away from any microphones. He not good at microphones. Microphones make him look real silly.

MacT could be a good GM too. Give him a dozen years experience in hockey management scouting, drafting, and assistant general managing he could be pretty damn good. He got a free pass and a short cut, that was his downfall.

And yeah, intensive public relations training would be a must.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
yes...and you left out that he was sick, they found it to be cancer, followed by treatment...etc.
You're telling me now that his cancer was the reason he left? I don't buy that was the reason for a minute. If it was why wouldn't the organization have said it was at the time like every other pro sports team does when this happens? There was no mention of his health issues until long after he was gone. Why would he have coached a year in the AHL before he came back if the reason he left was cancer related? If he left for health related reasons wouldn't he have immediately come back to work for the team in some capacity when his treatment was over and he felt up to it? All this and Tambellini was making everybody think he fired him. Again, not one word from the team when he was rehired either that his Cancer was the reason he left. It might have made that controversial move a bit more palatable to fans.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
MacT could be a good GM too. Give him a dozen years experience in hockey management scouting, drafting, and assistant general managing he could be pretty damn good. He got a free pass and a short cut, that was his downfall.

Ya, it's not like he didn't make ANY good moves. HF was calling Pouliot the worst signing of the summer, and he turned out great. He just needs more experience to avoid the Nikitin type signings

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Ya, it's not like he didn't make ANY good moves. HF was calling Pouliot the worst signing of the summer, and he turned out great. He just needs more experience to avoid the Nikitin type signings

Yup. Some team should invest a decade and millions of dollars in the hope that he becomes an average GM. In the hope of......what will he be, 80? ;)

Sounds ludicrous to me.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
I used to like him, then he opened his mouth. Guy is a f*@#n klown. He just has no clue. There hasn't been a single press conference where Ive thought, this is a guy who can turn this around.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
talladeganights005.jpg

"Dear, 8-pound, 6-ounce, newborn infant Jesus, don't even know a word yet, just a little infant and so cuddly, but still omnipotent, we just thank you for all the stuff that has happened since Lottery Saturday. Amen."
rotfpmsl

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

no doubt. I suspect they're just letting him quietly go out the back door, just like Pat Quinn. I don't know why they, as an organization, can't see the sillyness in this, from an optics standpoint. He took the management job, that means he will get fired eventually, so there is no need to be gentle with him. Just walk him to the parking lot. make the corporate business decision and just get it over with.

oh well. he's gonna quietly quit in time, so. It's the Oilers way. Old dogs an all that.

But, Pete, a word of advice. Keep Mact as far away from scouting as possible. If you have to tolerate him as an assistent GM, whenever he talks just nod your head and say thanx; in one ear out the other.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
MacT sold his soul to the devil for the lottery win...

Forgot to put in a clause that he would remain as GM.

Whoops!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I suspect any mentions of Chiarelli asking Mac-T to stay is more because he would want his opinion on the players and prospects that make up the organization he's now over seeing.

So he hear what was thought of some of these guys and can compare it to what he, and his people (I assume he'll have people he'll bring in), see in the same bunch.

Eitherway, just because many feel quite a bit of distain for Mac-T doesn't mean the hockey world actually feels the same way.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It is rather amusing and ironic that he was able to identify and bring some pretty nice pieces from outside the organization while simultaneously seemingly having no idea what he already had within it.

I think MacT already had a vision about which of his current players were going to be key pieces moving forward when he moved in. At the point the stubborness/arrogance set in for him and he wouldn't reform his obviously wrong opinions even when the results were quite literally slapping him in the face.

Eakins is the best of example of this but it also speaks to his treatment of several players you are implying here.

I think MacT just really wanted this to be his team. He had blinders for a lot of his own acquisitions and, aside from golden kids, wasn't a big fan of players he inherited. I think that ties to his huge ego. If it's a player he got, then they must be good, if someone else brought them in, very questionable. As we've seen over the last couple years, the guy has a very difficult time dealing with just the concept that he might have made a mistake but has no problem passing blame on to others.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
MacT really was the guy that 'got sold a bill of goods' if you ask me. He was a horrible hire in the 1st place and was a massively overrated coach. I also think when he was hired he was flat out told it WAS his team and he could do anything he wanted and soon he found out the Bobbsie twins above him in the pecking order had a huge say in everything. Then Nichols got hired and he was further neutered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad