Maclean out, Cameron in. Part 2

Karlsson2Turris*

He said he likes to watch the "good teams" play. He came when the sens played against Anaheim and Detroit.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think the team is still generating plenty of decent scoring opportunities. We're just not burying them. I'd wager shooting percentages for a lot of guys on the team this year are below what their career pct. is, or will be. Stone and Mac have had plenty of good looks, Pageau hasn't buried much, Michalek is declining but has had chances, Turris and Zib are missing high... EK had two breakaways last night. The new system, if there indeed is one, is not limiting offence. It's just poor finish right now. And we do carry a lot of streaky shooters and guys who are 15 goal scorers who we all want to be 25 goal scorers every season. And they're not... especially this year.

* and an important thing to remember when you're looking at shooting pct. is that stat tracks goals and shots that are stopped - so if you miss the net you don't get credit for a shot and that doesn't impact your stats. So guys may look decent... but in reality they've had good looks and miss the net entirely... so you have to watch the game to know the difference. Only crest-killers like Mike Fisher look really bad on paper. ;)

edit: just checked... Neil at 22% hahahahaha - SNIPER!

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the team is still generating plenty of decent scoring opportunities. We're just not burying them. I'd wager shooting percentages for a lot of guys on the team this year are below what their career pct. is, or will be. Stone and Mac have had plenty of good looks, Pageau hasn't buried much, Michalek is declining but has had chances, Turris and Zib are missing high... EK had two breakaways last night. The new system, if there indeed is one, is not limiting offence. It's just poor finish right now. And we do carry a lot of streaky shooters and guys who are 15 goal scorers who we all want to be 25 goal scorers every season. And they're not... especially this year.

* and an important thing to remember when you're looking at shooting pct. is that stat tracks goals and shots that are stopped - so if you miss the net you don't get credit for a shot and that doesn't impact your stats. So guys may look decent... but in reality they've had good looks and miss the net entirely... so you have to watch the game to know the difference. Only crest-killers like Mike Fisher look really bad on paper. ;)

edit: just checked... Neil at 22% hahahahaha - SNIPER!

Thought I'd share this,

Team | ES Goals | ES shot attempts | shot attempt scoring %
Toronto | 72 | 1388 | 5.19%
NY Rangers | 66 | 1276 | 5.17%
Tampa Bay | 72 | 1500 | 4.80%
Pittsburgh | 66 | 1380 | 4.78%
Colorado | 59 | 1236 | 4.77%
Dallas | 68 | 1455 | 4.67%
Minnesota | 63 | 1395 | 4.52%
Nashville | 69 | 1535 | 4.50%
Anaheim | 65 | 1492 | 4.36%
NY Islanders | 68 | 1570 | 4.33%
St. Louis | 60 | 1388 | 4.32%
Chicago | 70 | 1625 | 4.31%
Calgary | 61 | 1418 | 4.30%
Vancouver | 59 | 1376 | 4.29%
Buffalo | 46 | 1075 | 4.28%
Detroit | 56 | 1338 | 4.19%
Montreal | 64 | 1539 | 4.16%
Washington | 58 | 1405 | 4.13%
Philadelphia | 54 | 1322 | 4.08%
Boston | 61 | 1532 | 3.98%
Los Angeles | 62 | 1628 | 3.81%
Florida | 51 | 1373 | 3.71%
Ottawa | 50 | 1347 | 3.71%
New Jersey | 48 | 1311 | 3.66%
Edmonton | 52 | 1466 | 3.55%
San Jose | 59 | 1686 | 3.50%
Winnipeg | 51 | 1491 | 3.42%
Columbus | 42 | 1265 | 3.32%
Arizona | 44 | 1388 | 3.17%
Carolina | 44 | 1439 | 3.06%

We rank 23rd, league average is 4.13.

For our team;

Player Name | shot attempt scoring %
ZIBANEJAD, MIKA | 10.14%
STONE, MARK | 8.45%
HOFFMAN, MIKE | 7.89%
CHIASSON, ALEX | 6.52%
CONDRA, ERIK | 5.26%
MACARTHUR, CLARKE | 4.88%
RYAN, BOBBY | 4.60%
SMITH, ZACK | 4.26%
WIERCIOCH, PATRICK | 2.86%
NEIL, CHRIS | 2.86%
KARLSSON, ERIK | 2.74%
COWEN, JARED | 2.63%
LEGWAND, DAVID | 2.33%
TURRIS, KYLE | 2.13%
LAZAR, CURTIS | 1.72%
MICHALEK, MILAN | 1.39%
CECI, CODY | 1.20%
GREENING, COLIN | 0.00%
PHILLIPS, CHRIS | 0.00%
BOROWIECKI, MARK | 0.00%
GRYBA, ERIC | 0.00%

I think Turris really stands out as a good shooter that has a terrible % (he had a % of 5.61 last season, 4.92 over the previous 3), Legwand seems to be struggling too (4.14 last year, and 6.25 over the last 3). The rest of the guys who are low are either role players or D, so I don't expect much (well, Michalek should be higher too, but I've kinda lost hope)

Last edited:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Thanks Micklebot!

Condra burying it better than Ryan, Turris, and Mac says just about all you need to know about our season so far. lulz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks Micklebot!

Condra burying it better than Ryan, Turris, and Mac says just about all you need to know about our season so far. lulz

I think on a player level, the sample is too small to draw conclusions, other than who is not getting the bounces right now perhaps.

Condra is also ahead of guys like Zetterberg, and Jagr. Not sure it's all that meaningful. At the team level though, I do think it's a little more telling.

Part of the reason we are so low, is that we miss the net or are blocked on our shot attempts more than the average team, forcing the goalie to make the save only 51.8% of the time (avg is 53.2). The difference only amounts to a shot per game or thereabouts, but every little bit counts.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Ive watched every game this year and have Ryan, Turris and Karlsson in my pool and I can easily say Bobby and Turris are the most snake bitten guys on the team this year. They have to starting finishing on those prime chances.

Push540

Oct 11, 2011
I'll give Maclean credit: he had this team scoring despite the lack of skill on the roster but I doubt his system would have lead this team anywhere in the playoffs. I mean Pittsburhg absolutely annihilated us despite the team playing to it's full potential and you need to get by teams like to go far.

When will Ottawa/ how will Ottawa get by top teams in the playoffs without more talent in the lineup? No coaching can turn a bottom dweller into a team that can consistently go deep in the playoffs.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Thought I'd share this,

I think Turris really stands out as a good shooter that has a terrible % (he had a % of 5.61 last season, 4.92 over the previous 3), Legwand seems to be struggling too (4.14 last year, and 6.25 over the last 3). The rest of the guys who are low are either role players or D, so I don't expect much (well, Michalek should be higher too, but I've kinda lost hope)

Two goals for turris and one goal for Legwand would put them around normal pace so I am not sure how much that is going to help

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Turris has been missing the net A LOT. Not sure if he's trying to snipe them or what, but that's a big part of his low shooting percentage.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bro, when MacArthur scored and it zoomed in at Paul MacLean I lost it.

Lmfao, definitely one of the funniest things I've seen this season, looooooooool.

Whoever was the camera man deserves an Emmy.

With that being said, same camera man it seems that keeps zooming in on Karlsson after every goal scored against whether he's on the ice or not, looool.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I will say that the camera on the bench aimed at EK is showing that EK is emotionally involved. He was getting a bit of a reputation for seeming to not really care... I'm not saying that's true, of course, but there was a current at one point in conversations where EK's engagement was questioned. Those close-ups are telling a different story.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Lmfao, definitely one of the funniest things I've seen this season, looooooooool.

With that being said, same camera man it seems that keeps zooming in on Karlsson after every goal scored against whether he's on the ice or not, looool.

I missed that, what was macleans reaction? Was he pumped we scored?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Two goals for turris and one goal for Legwand would put them around normal pace so I am not sure how much that is going to help

Yep, that's why I mentioned that the player level stats are probably too small a sample to get anything useful from.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps better number would be percentage of shots missed to shots taken.

Teams that shoot more will miss more.

Someone did the percentages and posted it here. Can't remember which thread though. I believe we were top 5 in that. But again, my memory is hazy...

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps better number would be percentage of shots missed to shots taken.

Teams that shoot more will miss more.

Another person (can't remember who) already did this put it into a graph.

Sens are right around the league average. Only outlier is Chicago, they shoot a ton and miss the net a very small amount of the time. I attribute this to the high skill of their fowards, but it's also something they've probably focused a lot of time on as a team.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012

I think it's the producer who decides which camera does what and which one is live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad