MacKinnon's Next Contract

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Ok tanks.

I think we should take the 1st half of the season to evaluate him and start working early 2016 on a long term extension.

Disagree entirely.

IMO, the longer the FO waits, the more expensive MacK will get.

I do think your approach is what I would take with Barrie though.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Sure you do. It happens all the time. Do you remember Klinsmanns comments about Kobe being overpaid because it's for past performance? Well, this is the invese of that.

I would easily sign Mack to an 8x8 contract right now and call it a day. It probably doesn't happen because of the contracts Duchene, Landy, EJ, and Varly are all on right now, but I would do it if it were possible.

Sure Mack isn't worth the 8M right now, but he absolutely will be worth the 8M and more in a couple of years from now.

As someone said earlier Mack is going to be an 85-90 point player in his prime years. Players who produce like that are going to start getting paid 10-12M in free agency, its already started with the Kane and Toews contracts and will continue with Stamkos' next contract.

Mack at 8M would be one of the best contracts in the league by year 2 of the deal.
85-90 pts., huh? Gonna take quite a few better players on the Avs before we ever see MacKinnon approach those numbers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad