• Matthews

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Lol this thread is hilarious. Some of you really need to take this a little less seriously.

As for the actual poll question, I think it's pretty obvious MacKinnon looks better right now. But it wasn't long ago Matthews would have won this poll with 90%+ of the vote. I guess it's a question of if you think MacKinnon is simply hot right now, or if this is his new level. I choose to think the latter. So I voted MacKinnon. Matthews is, however, an incredible player.
Not would have!
It wasn't long ago when Matthews did win this very poll I created.... Actually dominated. They are pretty much same tier hockey players with different special abilities. Franchise centers and mature young stars. The stats of Matthews year 2 over MacKinnons year 2 doesn't change those facts, it just means their careers went different routes. MacKinnon had bumps in his career. Matthews will have bumps in his career.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Another poster who hasn't looked at numbers and made a call based on nothing. Mackinnon has a gf% that is 20 worse than Matthews at even strength and has a hdcf% that is much worse. If you want to look at their gap in raw points, yet again it is easy to explain away seeigpng Mackinnon play 65 more minutes at 5v5 this season, and 8o minutes more on the pp. People on these forums (you included apparently) are terrible for providing opinions and passing them off as facts when lots of numbers argue against you.

MacKinnon has a sustainable PDO and he's more involved in team scoring than Matthews.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Mack. Surprised it's this close.

Why? Do you actually think MacKinnon is that much better than Matthews?

It's strange how quickly opinions shift on HFBoards. I'm not saying MacKinnon isn't great, because he is, and it's awesome to see him on his way to reaching his potential, but let's not pretend like he's on a whole other level above Matthews.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Isn't this supposed to be right now?
I don't think macks a better player and believe matthews will probably be considered the better player in the future but if you're looking at it right now i have no idea how anyone could pick matthews

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It's strange how quickly opinions shift on HFBoards. I'm not saying MacKinnon isn't great, because he is, and it's awesome to see him on his way to reaching his potential, but let's not pretend like he's on a whole other level above Matthews.

If MacKinnon replicates his first half in the second half, he’s going to win the Hart. The same isn’t true for Matthews. It isn’t that MacKinnon is a much better player. It’s that it should be clear that he’s playing better right now. He’s just having an unreal season.

Reactions: Incognito

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Moving forward you are complete correct. But MacKinnon has been even better than he was ever hyped to be even by some of the most hyperbolic statements of admiration during his rookie year. If this continues through the end of the year then he actually will have managed to have hit a level even higher than Matthews'...at least for this one year, which again says nothing definitive about the future when we're comparing a 22 yo & a 20 yo. Even with how good these two already are they're still babies and will probably still be key players when we're entering the 2030s.

That said I'm in full agreement that no one should be surprised this is close, even with how superhuman MacK has been since those 10 games with the Duchene-cloud still hanging over everything...though the longer MacK's form continues the wider the poll results should become.

Reactions: Incognito

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If MacKinnon replicates his first half in the second half, he’s going to win the Hart. The same isn’t true for Matthews. It isn’t that MacKinnon is a much better player. It’s that it should be clear that he’s playing better right now. He’s just having an unreal season.

Moving forward you are complete correct. But MacKinnon has been even better than he was ever hyped to be even by some of the most hyperbolic statements of admiration during his rookie year. If this continues through the end of the year then he actually will have managed to have hit a level even higher than Matthews'...at least for this one year, which again says nothing definitive about the future when we're comparing a 22 yo & a 20 yo. Even with how good these two already are they're still babies and will probably still be key players when we're entering the 2030s.

That said I'm in full agreement that no one should be surprised this is close, even with how superhuman MacK has been since those 10 games with the Duchene-cloud still hanging over everything...though the longer MacK's form continues the wider the poll results should become.

I can definitely agree with all of this. Going forward, I think Matthews and MacKinnon are likely going to be on a similar level, but as of right now, you could absolutely make a strong case that MacKinnon has been the best player in the league so far this year, and if he keeps it up, I agree that he should be in the running for the Hart. Either way, I'm happy to see both of them playing at such high levels, because it benefits me both as a Leafs fan (Matthews), and a Team Canada fan (MacKinnon). :nod:

Reactions: 22FUTON9

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One of the few times I can go with a Leaf's player and not feel like a homer.

I'll say Matthews. Matthews has missed time and he has Nylander on his RW which we'll put as a draw with Rantanen for argument's sake. Matthews never really hits 20 minutes a night and the LW he has in Hyman isn't even in the same league as Landeskog.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Mackinnon is better than Matthews, but not McDavid.

NM 41 GP 18 G 34 A 52 P
CM 43 GP 14 G 33 A 47 P

I don't think so bud. Mack is having a better season than McDavid had last season, statistically. Also, Oilers are sitting pretty in the lottery. AVS are in a playoff spot.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
NM 41 GP 18 G 34 A 52 P
CM 43 GP 14 G 33 A 47 P

I don't think so bud. Mack is having a better season than McDavid had last season, statistically. Also, Oilers are sitting pretty in the lottery. AVS are in a playoff spot.

You can make the argument Mack is playing better than McDavid right now but I don't think anyone will buy the argument that he is better.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One of the few times I can go with a Leaf's player and not feel like a homer.

I'll say Matthews. Matthews has missed time and he has Nylander on his RW which we'll put as a draw with Rantanen for argument's sake. Matthews never really hits 20 minutes a night and the LW he has in Hyman isn't even in the same league as Landeskog.

:laugh: Nope, try again.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Lol. Just read through this thread and I must say, I found it pretty amusing haha. Quite a bit of insecurity being slung around from "certain" posters. To answer the question, up to this point in the 2017-2018 NHL Season (just to make things clear to not hurt anyone's feelings), MacK has been a better/more important player/catalyst to his team.

That said, unless MacK makes this his norm, I can definitely understand peoples skepticism as from a pure numbers (offensive production) side, MacK's last few seasons have been rather underwhelming. As others have stated, this wasn't really the topic of this poll but I just thought I'd add it in there. To say that MacK has been the better player than Matthews up to this point of the current season isn't even a slight to Matthews who is a stellar player in his own right, it's just recognizing the season that MacK has had.

To anyone who might want to rip my head off for my comments, I'd also like to point out that if we're considering their careers up to this point, I have Matthews quite a bit ahead as far as total value is concerned and the player I'd rather build around. That won't change unless, like I mentioned before hand, MacK proves that this is his coming out party to the player that he will be for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad