• Mackinnon

Votes: 176 58.7%
  • Matthews

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly just wish Hyman would stop playing with Matthews. The guy has 17 goals in 126 games since the beginning of last season playing nearly every one with Matthews and Nylander. Absolutely pathetic.

Then Matthews would not have had this recent tap in goal.

Really the lengths Leafs fans go to prop up Matthews to win a poll by discrediting another player in this case Hyman who does his job well for his line, which is doing the dirty work by getting the puck to Matthews and Nylander is beyond ridiculous here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Then Matthews would not have had this recent tap in goal.

Really the lengths Leafs fans go to prop up Matthews to win a poll by discrediting another player in this case Hyman who does his job well for his line, which is doing the dirty work by getting the puck to Matthews and Nylander is beyond ridiculous here.

[mod] That is one of the few decent set ups he has made, check his stats playing on the top line with an elite center and good top 6 forward for over a season and a half, they are abysmal, I actually watch the guy play every single night. He has no business being a top 6 forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Funny, considering the Avs almost took Barkov 1st overall as their internal debate were all about Barkov v MacKinnon

I call bull****, either your memory is failing you or you are lying.

Lol slow down, I never said anything about him being better now. People were saying he had the best vision since Gretzky and he had a better points per game in his rookie season than MacKinnon did.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol slow down, I never said anything about him being better now. People were saying he had the best vision since Gretzky and he had a better points per game in his rookie season than MacKinnon did.

*Oilers fans were saying...

Oilers homers' hype =/= national hype, and MacKinnon had a lot more hype than RNH at the time of their respective drafts.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
*Oilers fans were saying...

Oilers homers' hype =/= national hype, and MacKinnon had a lot more hype than RNH at the time of their respective drafts.

Okay well I'll take your word for it since I don't care either way but my point still stands, MacKinnon was not referred to as an exceptional 1st overall though, atleast half of the past 10 or so drafts have produced more hyped players.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Lol did you even read my post?

Yep! It was nice and short and lacked substance, so it was easy to read. Basically you wrote that Matthews looked really good for the first 15ish games of the season, perhaps better than MacKinnon. It was a pretty irrelevant point to make, all things considered, and that's why I said what I said.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yep! It was nice and short and lacked substance, so it was easy to read. Basically you wrote that Matthews looked really good for the first 15ish games of the season, perhaps better than MacKinnon. It was a pretty irrelevant point to make, all things considered, and that's why I said what I said.

Oh cool story dude!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Okay well I'll take your word for it since I don't care either way but my point still stands, MacKinnon was not referred to as an exceptional 1st overall though, atleast half of the past 10 or so drafts have produced more hyped players.

He got the 'best 1st since Stamkos and maybe even since Tavares' treatment even though people were already looking ahead to McJesus:dunno:

...but whatevs, this is feeling extremely pedantic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He got the 'best 1st since Stamkos and maybe even since Tavares' treatment even though people were already looking ahead to McJesus:dunno:

...but whatevs, this is feeling extremely pedantic

Well there were only 3 draft years between him and Tavares, and I swear he was not more hyped than Hall was, but otherwise I agree we shall move on, lol.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
[mod] That is one of the few decent set ups he has made, check his stats playing on the top line with an elite center and good top 6 forward for over a season and a half, they are abysmal, I actually watch the guy play every single night. He has no business being a top 6 forward.

He has 7 goals, which is 2 more than Marner, and 2 less than Nylander this year. Not sure what you are expecting from a player who's job is to get the puck to the playmakers of his line. I don't know if you have thought it through, but In the NHL today, where the cap prevents teams from loading up one line. Line construction is often 2 skilled guys with one less skilled guy that does the dirty work. This spreads the offence around. Matthews benefits from this as evidenced by his goal totals. Also Matthews is not a prototypical playmaking Center so Hyman works well with him. Babcock knows this. BTW top 6, bottom 6 is becoming an old term. I think you are just making excuses where none are needed. Ask Kucherov and Stamkos this year. They are now playing with Kunitz. Who played with Crosby much of his career. None of those players needed excuses.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He has 7 goals, which is 2 more than Marner, and 2 less than Nylander this year. Not sure what you are expecting from a player who's job is to get the puck to the playmakers of his line. I don't know if you have thought it through, but In the NHL today, where the cap prevents teams from loading up one line. Line construction is often 2 skilled guys with one less skilled guy that does the dirty work. This spreads the offence around. Matthews benefits from this as evidenced by his goal totals. Also Matthews is not a prototypical playmaking Center so Hyman works well with him. Babcock knows this. BTW top 6, bottom 6 is becoming an old term. I think you are just making excuses where none are needed. Ask Kucherov and Stamkos this year. They are now playing with Kunitz. Who played with Crosby much of his career. None of those players needed excuses.

Lol, I don't think you realize how ridiculously unskilled Hyman is and making passes and finishing chances. No other top scorer in the league plays with a worse offensive player thanHyman. I repeat, he has 17 goals in 126 games on the top line, that is horrible no matter how you try to spin it here. Bringng up Nylander and Marner's goal totals does nothing here other than show how bad they've been here this season. There are many other options on the Leafs that could be playing with Matthews. They have enough depth to put a better player there and not handicap the rest of the lineup.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol, I don't think you realize how ridiculously unskilled Hyman is and making passes and finishing chances. No other top scorer in the league plays with a worse offensive player thanHyman. I repeat, he has 17 goals in 126 games on the top line, that is horrible no matter how you try to spin it here. Bringng up Nylander and Marner's goal totals does nothing here other than show how bad they've been here this season. There are many other options on the Leafs that could be playing with Matthews. They have enough depth to put a better player there and not handicap the rest of the lineup.

I don't think you realize how line construction in the NHL works today. Matthews plays with Nylander so your narrative of Matthews plays with Hyman does not work. Matthews has benefitted from Hyman's industrious puck retrieval. As I said it's his job to get him the puck, so Matthews can do what he does best score goals. Not be the playmaker of the line since this is obviously Nylander's job since he also has not lit up the goal dept playing with Matthews.

Regardless, it's Mackinnon right now. Do you disagree? If so why? MacKinnon is 2nd in the NHL in scoring.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think you realize how line construction in the NHL works today. Matthews plays with Nylander so your narrative of Matthews plays with Hyman does not work. Matthews has benefitted from Hyman's industrious puck retrieval. As I said it's his job to get him the puck, so Matthews can do what he does best score goals. Not be the playmaker of the line since this is obviously Nylander's job since he also has not lit up the goal dept playing with Matthews.

Regardless, it's Mackinnon right now. Do you disagree? If so why? MacKinnon is 2nd in the NHL in scoring.

MacKinnon has been playing better since Matthews injury, yes. Do I think he's the better player? Possibly, but we will see. I watch every game and he is not great at getting anybody the puck (Hyman), he's great at getting it, controlling it along the boards and not doing much else with it. That sometimes indirectly leads to them getting possession but I promise you his ability to make simple passes and even coming close to scoring on simple plays is 4th line quality. Anyway, this alone is not the whole story anyway, combined with the lesser ice time and powerplay time Matthews gets I believe it's apparent he is not in a great situation for putting up points.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What an absolutely ridiculous thread.

Mackinnon isn't even as good as Eichel. (Jack's got 39 in 42 now with no support)

He's benefitted from Rantanen (vastyly underrated) and Landeskog who can go on hot streaks.

He's a hell of a talent but people are forgetting that year he absolutely blew chunks.

You don't see elite players blow chunks...but Mackinnon did.

And why?

It answers itself.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sorry dude, as awesome as Mackinnon is doing this year, I’d rather bank on Matthews insane potential going forward.

Sure and that's completely reasonable.

But to say that Matthews definitely will be better in the future? I mean that's just an ignorant thing to say. and I think you probably know that.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Sure and that's completely reasonable.

But to say that Matthews definitely will be better in the future? I mean that's just an ignorant thing to say. and I think you probably know that.

Okay, in my opinion, Matthews will more than likely probably somewhat be better.

That okay with you?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
What an absolutely ridiculous thread.

Mackinnon isn't even as good as Eichel. (Jack's got 39 in 42 now with no support)

He's benefitted from Rantanen (vastyly underrated) and Landeskog who can go on hot streaks.

He's a hell of a talent but people are forgetting that year he absolutely blew chunks.

You don't see elite players blow chunks...but Mackinnon did.

And why?

It answers itself.

Interesting post - I put up a poll between the two - let's see what people think!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
How is Mackinnon winning this?

No, HONESTLY?

A month ago it was common knowledge that the current top young guys are going to be way better and he's had a few years experience and has shown nothing, well he's shown he can be really inconsistent.

One month on a hot line and he's out-polling Matthews by 50 plus at this point, insane.

Interesting post - I put up a poll between the two - let's see what people think!

Yeah, no offense either.

I just think Matthews Polls it doesen't even matter.

It's just the Matthews Fans vs the Non-Matthews fans. IMO

I'm usually against Matthews but I voted for him because I'm not all the way biased with my hockey hate.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
How is Mackinnon winning this?

No, HONESTLY?

A month ago it was common knowledge that the current top young guys are going to be way better and he's had a few years experience and has shown nothing, well he's shown he can be really inconsistent.

One month on a hot line and he's out-polling Matthews by 50 plus at this point, insane.

Yeah, no offense either.

I just think Matthews Polls it doesen't even matter.

It's just the Matthews Fans vs the Non-Matthews fans. IMO

I'm usually against Matthews but I voted for him because I'm not all the way biased with my hockey hate.

The poll asked who's better right now. Mackinnon is playing better than Matthews right now, what's not to understand?

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad