Proposal: Mackinnon to MTL for Galchenyuk++

Avs44

May 16, 2011
In what league is a 53pts a second liner? Surely not in the NHL. Guy just matched MacKinnon's pts output with one less year in the league and practically 2 seasons less worth of experience. It's very unlikely MacKinnon becomes an 80pts guy. It's far more likely he'll be a consistent 60pts guy which while very good is a far cry from the likes of McDavid, Auston Matthews or Crosby. You know, the actual untouchables.

Impressive. He put up the same amount of points on a team that scored 70 goals more - a team that had 3 other guys break 50 points - while MacKinnon's had none. He has two seasons less experience because while MacKinnon was winning the Calder, Drouin was back in junior because he couldn't hack it in the NHL. Because MacKinnon was playing in the NHL while Drouin was throwing a fit over not being good enough to play in the NHL and instead decided not to play at all.

Are these supposed to be points in favour of Drouin?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Good, then he isn't untouchable.

Also lol, MacKinnon is supposed to be a 1st overall talent. These guys don't rely on others to score points. Put them with scrubs and they still get the job done. The fact that Tampa has scored 70 more goals is also partially due to the fact that guys like MacKinnon aren't good enough. He's supposed to be the best offensive talent on that team and bad linemates or not, 55pts on average since the start of his career is not acceptable for what you make him out to be.

It's used against him because he has 4 years of NHL experience under his belt. He might be 21 but he's been in the league for a minute. Can he still get better? Probably but I would have been far more inclined to believe that if it was his rookie or second season.

MacKinnon is probably more valuable because he is a center. Offensively they are pretty much equal.

He was. Haven't you been paying attention? Nobody else on the team broke 50 points, only two broke forty.

Also lol at you thinking that the stats of players are not affected by who they are surrounded by in the NHL. Maybe go back to basketball?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Avs aren't moving Nate, so this'll just have to remain an EA NHL 17 deal for ya

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Good, then he isn't untouchable.

Also lol, MacKinnon is supposed to be a 1st overall talent. These guys don't rely on others to score points. Put them with scrubs and they still get the job done. The fact that Tampa has scored 70 more goals is also partially due to the fact that guys like MacKinnon aren't good enough. He's supposed to be the best offensive talent on that team and bad linemates or not, 55pts on average since the start of his career is not acceptable for what you make him out to be.

It's used against him because he has 4 years of NHL experience under his belt. He might be 21 but he's been in the league for a minute. Can he still get better? Probably but I would have been far more inclined to believe that if it was his rookie or second season.

MacKinnon is probably more valuable because he is a center. Offensively they are pretty much equal.

So Mack who is younger than Drouin can't improve much because he has already been in the league for 4 years?

That logic though...

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
He was. Haven't you been paying attention? Nobody else on the team broke 50 points, only two broke forty.

Also lol at you thinking that the stats of players are not affected by who they are surrounded by in the NHL. Maybe go back to basketball?
I didn't say they weren't but the fact that MacKinnon merely manages 55pts on his lonesome indicates that he isn't a top-tier talent. If he was, he'd be scoring more. You guys are talking as if he was an 80pts guy waiting to break out when it's far more likely he's a consistent 60pts guy. Players like Kane, Crosby heck, even Taylor Hall didn't let the lack of talent surrounding them hold them back. They make players better and they turn lesser players into better ones. Not the other way around.

So Mack who is younger than Drouin can't improve much because he has already been in the league for 4 years?

That logic though...
He can but I don't expect him to improve a lot. First overall picks tend to peak relatively early, especially the more recent ones. They don't play four years before having an elite season. It's possible MacKinnon has 80+pts under his belt but it's unlikely.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No one is comparing MacKinnon to McDavid or Crosby...although he was involved in a similar % of his teams goals as Seguin & Tarasenko; and only McDavid outscored the #2 scorer on his team by as much as MacK did last year....he's still just 21; give him more than a historical inept team around him, while being flanked by a rookie & a waiver pickup, and the we'll see if he can't match the PPG pace he started last season at...prior to injuring his wrist/hand...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think something around Duchene and Galchenyuk makes some sense for both teams

Colorado could then shop the #4 pick for help on the blueline

#4 for Tanev?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think something around Duchene and Galchenyuk makes some sense for both teams

Colorado could then shop the #4 pick for help on the blueline

#4 for Tanev?

God would that be such an Avs thing to do. :cry:

Thankfully Sakic's no where near aggressive enough to do something that aggressively terrible for the organization.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They moved Sergachev and tbh that's the only real piece they had that interests me so I would look elsewhere to move Duchene (and they for sure don't have the stuff for MacKinnon).

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
God would that be such an Avs thing to do. :cry:

Thankfully Sakic's no where near aggressive enough to do something that aggressively terrible for the organization.
Tanev might get you an early early 2nd rd pick like the avs 32nd overall pick, but they need LD not RD, no where close to the 4th overall

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I didn't say they weren't but the fact that MacKinnon merely manages 55pts on his lonesome indicates that he isn't a top-tier talent. If he was, he'd be scoring more. You guys are talking as if he was an 80pts guy waiting to break out when it's far more likely he's a consistent 60pts guy. Players like Kane, Crosby heck, even Taylor Hall didn't let the lack of talent surrounding them hold them back. They make players better and they turn lesser players into better ones. Not the other way around.
Not sure Hall is a very good example since he just tanked in points after moving to a bad, weak offensive team.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Yeah you are right bad teams trade 20 year old 1st round picks who still show potential all the time.
He showed potential in Junior which he why he was taken 1st overall. That's his 4th year in the league. How long exactly is he gonna take to reach that so-called potential? Also, MacKinnon is turning 22 in 3 months.

If you want Mack the cost would be Galchenyuk + '17 1st + '18 1st + Serga- .... he's untouchable
Lol and yet Taylor Hall who was a better player only fetched Larsson. MacKinnon is Ryan O'Reilly except worse defensively. You hype him up because his draft position.

Last edited:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
He showed potential in Junior which he why he was taken 1st overall. That's his 4th year in the league. How long exactly is he gonna take to reach that so-called potential? Also, MacKinnon is turning 22 in 3 months.

Lol and yet Taylor Hall who was a better player only fetched Larsson. MacKinnon is Ryan O'Reilly except worse defensively. You hype him up because his draft position.

Hahahaha Mack the same as ROR??? Hahaha you forget that ROR is much much much slower, peaking currently, and only scores his points on the power play. Their biggest difference is their defensive skill yes.

Wingers hold less value than #1C's.

And just because EDM made that dumb trade doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Montreal trades for Mackinnon to reunite MacK with Drouin.

If you compare the past 2 seasons of Galchenyuk and MacK:

16-17:
Mackinnon 0.195 gpg 0.646 ppg 1.66 pts/60
Galchenyuk 0.279 gpg 0.721 ppg 1.74 pts/60

15-16:
Mackinnon 0.292 gpg 0.722 ppg 1.63 pts/60
Galchenyuk 0.366 gpg 0.683 ppg 2.07 pts/60

You can definitely make the case for either of these players as the better offensive player.

That said, Mackinnon had that great rookie season. He's also proved that he can play C, but you could argue that Colorado gave him more of an opportunity than Montreal did with Galchenyuk to play center. Also, Galchenyuk was really good for the first 20 games this year at center and was in the top 10 in points after the first 20 games.

What about a trade like this:

Scherback + Galchenyuk + 2017 1st + Beaulieu for Mackinnon

Colorado thinks a change of scenery would benefit Galchenyuk and think he could be their #1C. They also get some good prospects.

For Montreal, it's clear Galchenyuk will not work out there. They get their #1C

Has any Habs fans screamed that the bolded is "equivalent to 4 1st!!!!" Yet?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Habs fans, just take a minute to think "comme il faut".
There's just no way in hell Sakic would trade away MacKinnon over Duchene. And secondly, all of our proposals now are quantity over quality. Stop making proposals that will never happen.

jake07

Sep 11, 2011
Quebec City

i take Mackinnon before Hall easy

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I find it hilarious that we once again have an entire fanbase that can't shut up about Avs players Duchene and MacK and absolutely must start at least one thread a day where one of them becomes a Hab, and yet in every thread the same Habs fans who want these players - tear them down as if they are nothing, terrible players that nobody should want and Avs should be happy to get what their fans are so generously offering. Habs are the new Leafs fans.

i take Mackinnon before Hall easy

Most people who actually watch hockey would.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN

Which is pretty hilarious since MacK is getting offers for LESS THAN what was already received for ROR.

So how is it that a guy who is still an RFA under a good contract is worth less than someone who was a UFA to be, and would cost more than the Avs were willing to give. One whom we had to trade and one whom we have said we wouldn't trade. Sakic is not IceBerg, he doesn't say a player is untouchable and then trades them the next day.

Even in your delusional world where these two are the same player, your logic still makes zero sense.

Habs fans, just take a minute to think "comme il faut".
There's just no way in hell Sakic would trade away MacKinnon over Duchene. And secondly, all of our proposals now are quantity over quality. Stop making proposals that will never happen.

I wish we could get more Habs fans who actually watch hockey like this guy

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Which is pretty hilarious since MacK is getting offers for LESS THAN what was already received for ROR.

So how is it that a guy who is still an RFA under a good contract is worth less than someone who was a UFA to be, and would cost more than the Avs were willing to give. One whom we had to trade and one whom we have said we wouldn't trade. Sakic is not IceBerg, he doesn't say a player is untouchable and then trades them the next day.

Even in your delusional world where these two are the same player, your logic still makes zero sense.

I wish we could get more Habs fans who actually watch hockey like this guy
Huh what? The OP offers Galchenyuk+ for MacKinnon. Galchenyuk is as good offensively as MacKinnon. He already scored 30 goals. This year he was outpacing MacKinnon in pts and the year before it was the other way around but they were extremely close. MacKinnon cannot live off his draft day hype forever. He needs to produce to be worth as much as Colorado fans want everyone to believe. Galchenyuk+ doesn't fill a need for Colorado but acting like the value isn't there is a joke.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
This would be a major downgrade with little upside in the + being offered. But to be fair I think MacKinnon is going to be very good for a very long time. Not so sure about Galchenyuk, even if he matched MacKinnon offensively the value of a Center vs a Winger makes it a no-go if I were the Avs.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Like the opp said galchenyuk was a top 10 player for 20 games last season at center, ppg pace for 40-50 games i think over 2 seasons at center. then a bad knee injury. had a bad end to the season and got demoted by clod. Top offensive player of his draft imo.
absolutely close to mackinnon in value.

though hes worth more id say its more like chucky plus 1st
opp gives too much plus in this

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2