MacKinnon or Landeskog?

If Avs didn't have a captain right now, who would you give the C to?

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Or this:

Dzu5soIUYAAzFG_.jpg

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Baberiel Landeskog is all the captain we would ever need.

Landeskog is a power forward. They usually don't last in the league for too long and usually start to decline before the age of 30. I think that there is a good chance that either Makar or Byram will be our next Captain, but that is my opinion.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Landeskog is a power forward. They usually don't last in the league for too long and usually start to decline before the age of 30. I think that there is a good chance that either Makar or Byram will be our next Captain, but that is my opinion.

We'll see.. Landy plays a heavy game, but I wouldn't say he plays like Simmonds or those types as much anymore.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

Landy reallllly isn't what I'd call a power forward. His rookie year sure. He hasn't been that player since.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landy reallllly isn't what I'd call a power forward. His rookie year sure. He hasn't been that player since.

One of the best hockey decisions he ever made was no longer trying to be a wrecking ball just hitting everything in sight. He still plays a power game but is much smarter about it now. How he ages will probably depend on his skating but he likely bought himself more years at a high level by changing his style of play early in his career.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
If he isn't a power forward, who the hell is?

Landeskog is not your prototypical power forward. He's more a of a two way guy that has physicality in his game.

He's changed his game drastically over the years. Those changes are what's gonna keep him in the game longer. Wayne Simmonds was that power forward and look at what it did to him. Landy doesn't play the game that way.

Calling Landy a power forward is really inaccurate. It's a disservice to the style he plays.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

One of the best hockey decisions he ever made was no longer trying to be a wrecking ball just hitting everything in sight. He still plays a power game but is much smarter about it now. How he ages will probably depend on his skating but he likely bought himself more years at a high level by changing his style of play early in his career.

Landy also has an ability to read the game that very few power forwards can match. I'll admit I was pissed he turned off viking mode, but he'll play longer because of it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Landeskog is not your prototypical power forward. He's more a of a two way guy that has physicality in his game.

He's changed his game drastically over the years. Those changes are what's gonna keep him in the game longer. Wayne Simmonds was that power forward and look at what it did to him. Landy doesn't play the game that way.

Calling Landy a power forward is really inaccurate. It's a disservice to the style he plays.

*shrug* I suppose he ain't Cam Neely out there, but just because he plays a smarter game, I'm not sure that disqualifies him as a "power forward," but it's a question of semantics, so, no big deal. But I agree, he's not as bullish as he was. Adam Foote had to turn down his physical game as well, and became a better player because of it.

I think he's a better player, but it's possible he ages along the same lines as Andrew Ladd. Ladd kinda/sorta hit a wall around 31 or so. I hope that's not the case w/Landy though.

Reactions: cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mackinnon shouldn't even have a "A" let alone the "C"

Disagree about the A. Yes MacK has had some outbursts, but he impresses me with his humility, and determination lately. Especially when evaluating his own game. Being the best player on the team, and having a never enough attitude is enough for me.

Lacking emotion isn't a prerequisite for leadership. Neither is being perfect or making the right decision in every instance.

Reactions: avsfan09 and cgf

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If I'm handing out the C I'd go in this order:

1. Landeskog
2. EJ
3. MacKinnon
4. No captain

Landeskog goes first because he's super-mature, stays calm in every situation, yet seems able to have fun (see: splashing water in the face of goal scorers). He's also really good with the media, and if anyone ever doubted his captain abilities just look at his post-Game 7 interview where he refused to criticize the refs. Early on I really questioned him being the captain when I called him Captain Minor Penalty, but he's definitely grown into the role.

EJ because he's clearly the leader and now a mentor on the blue line. He's also a very long-serving Avalanche and has been through the good and the bad. He is also good with the media, knows how to have fun, but is really focused on wanting to win with this team.

MacKinnon goes third because although he's clearly the best player and the emotional driver of the team, he also tends to let his emotions get away with him at times. He also often seems to give up on plays defensively, and that's not the trait I want in a captain.

After those three the only other players you could argue for are Calvert and Cole, but neither has been with the team long enough in my opinion.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Ehhh...he's certainly not the wreckless hit-machine he was as a rookie, but he's certainly still a PWF. Just look at where he scores his goals, and how physical he still is. He's a modern PWF.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Disagree about the A. Yes MacK has had some outbursts, but he impresses me with his humility, and determination lately. Especially when evaluating his own game. Being the best player on the team, and having a never enough attitude is enough for me.

Lacking emotion isn't a prerequisite for leadership. Neither is being perfect or making the right decision in every instance.
Yeah, MacK should never get the C, but I think he's a great fit for a secondary leadership role with someone like Landy above him in the hierarchy...especially if the second A lands with someone else who's more level-headed, to balance MacK's fire.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Ehhh...he's certainly not the wreckless hit-machine he was as a rookie, but he's certainly still a PWF. Just look at where he scores his goals, and how physical he still is. He's a modern PWF.

Probably why further down in the thread I said he isn't a prototypical power forward. He's more of a two way player with physicality to his game.

He's hard to classify really. Like if you were to look at a hypothetical encyclopedia, Landy's picture isn't the one I'd put next to the power forward entry. He's more unique.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Probably why further down in the thread I said he isn't a prototypical power forward. He's more of a two way player with physicality to his game.

He's hard to classify really. Like if you were to look at a hypothetical encyclopedia, Landy's picture isn't the one I'd put next to the power forward entry. He's more unique.

Yeah, noticed that. I still feel like you're comparing him to archetypes that don't really exist/work anymore which is why I used the distinction of modern-PWF. Because even the Tkachuk & Meier's; who are at the forefront of the next generation of PWFs, play a lot smarter & more high-skilled games than did the Looch's & Simmond's of the previous generation.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I can see it now. It's 2025, the Avs have won two cups with Landeskog leading the way, and @the_fan, @chet1926, and @Drij are still on brand and trying to strip him of his C.
Just to be clear, I dont really want to strip Landeskog of his C, I'm just saying if Avs didn't have a captain today, I'd give it to MacK

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think MacKinnon would be more of both vocal and lead by example type of captain. I know the whole yelling at Bednar didn't look good and its something a captain of a team wouldn't or shouldn't do, but maybe if MacK was the C, he wouldn't do that. And as I mentioned before, I'd like to put MacK with Crosby, McDavid as far as they are both wearing the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad